Has a misprinted COA ever increased value of a coin set before?

Old August 4th 03, 11:13 PM
dsfhgs

Default Has a misprinted COA ever increased value of a coin set before?

Has a misprinted COA ever increased value of a coin set before?

Old August 5th 03, 02:51 AM
Bruce Remick

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:

Bruce Remick wrote:

From: dsfhgs

Has a misprinted COA ever increased value of a coin set before?

There's a seller on ebay who offers repackaged US mint sets including a brass
buck not included in the set as sold by the Mint. He includes the Mint COA
from the original set and offers it in such a way as to imply that it's mint
packaged. He never comes out and states he added the dollar coin to the
packaging. He was getting a premium, last time I saw.

That *Infamous* ten-coin 1999 Proof Set again!

FWIW, I personally wouldn't get too excited about a typoed paper insert
to the Proof Set. Seems to me that they would be rather easy to create,
aside from having exactly zilch to do with the coins.

I got my set today with the "error" COA and I think I can detect
doubling on some of the letters of the typo in the COA with a 10X
loupe. The COA itself is MS69. I would like to have this
authenticated, but should one trust a certificate of authenticity that
does not accurately describe what it claims to authenticate? and has
doubling? and is MS69?

Bruce
Perplexed in Virginia

Congratulations on the first public report of an Error on the famous
2003 Silver Proof Set COA (Typo 1). It would be well worth your while,
IMO, to have this rare Error of the erroneous COA authenticated.

Actually, this appears to be an "over" error-- the 2003 silver proof set
COA is obviously struck over a 2003 clad proof set COA-- displaying some
features of each COA. I can see this and the doubling readily with my
22X loupe. I'd like to get this COA authenticated and registered but
I'm not sure which third party service would be the most authentic. I'd
also like to create a market for my discovery by asking a lot of money
for it.

Bruce
Old August 5th 03, 06:25 AM
Coin Saver

From: dsfhgs

Has a misprinted COA ever increased value of a coin set before?

Going from memory he IIRC the 1999 (?) Proof (?) Susan B Anthony Dollar had
a misspelled word ("Appollo") in describing the reverse in either the COA or
some such piece of paper it came with. A brief hoo-doo about it, but nothing
further came of it.

8-/

Coin Saver