Does Akai Mod Work For Static Problem?

Old September 16th 07, 08:01 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

Default Noodles tries to invent a new word, fails...again.

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:49:52 -0400, "DOUCHEBob's few-tile efforts"
wrote:

the double tracking problem with 82D is well known and quite problemsome, snip

No such word in the English language.

it's why I never use my 82D, one gets sick of hearing the other tracks all
the time snip

That's because his heads are misaligned. Head alignment on an Akai
requires a REAL alignment tape (of which he has none) and some brains
(of which he has none.)

The 82D has the best top end response of any machine in this format.
However, you do sacrifice some bass response for that, a
characteristic of ALL Akai machines in all formats. They concentrated
on narrowing the pole gap over retaining bass response. In analog
tape, especially at such a slow speed, it's very difficult to get both
good top end AND good, fairly flat bass response due to the basics of
head geometry. Once "micro gap" heads came into mass production
allowing better high end response at slower speeds, and the size of
oxide particles shrank (as well as chromium dioxide mixtures) showed
up as being feasible, cassette took over due to the improvements to
that format.

These, plus the better tape handling, relative freedom from "tape
scrape" and applicability of program searching hardware in many
decks, made the frequency response good enough for supplant 8 track as
a car format, and 8 track died relatively quickly. In the end, better
consumer recorders could best even the best 8 track recorders in top
end. Due to tape speed, however, 8 track was able to have somewhat
(not much) better bass response characteristics. Try as they may,
getting rid of the typical bass region "head bumps" was just a
physical impossibility on cassette.
Old September 17th 07, 02:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

Default Does Akai Mod Work For Static Problem?

ps- I believe the "adding capacitor" mod for the Akai decks was done to fix
the program switch problem, not the crackle problem

any deck with 15 khz-higher top end response, will crackle some, with an old
tape- because what it is sensing, is the graphite buildup on the playside of
the tape

I have noticed that less pad pressure will reduce the crackle, because its
letting the tape back away from the tape head a bit- so the tape head isn't
hitting the graphite particles as hard and sensing them as "crackle"- but
then you risk also losing some music as well, on playback

crackle with high-end 8-track decks is the "nature of the beast"

"still_trackin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone have success in eliminating the static/crackling problem in
Akai/Roberts decks by using the Akai mod? I know there is a ton of
archive info regarding this issue, and one theory is to add 1 uF cap
in parallel to the sensing poles by the recording head.
I own a Roberts 808D that crackles in the right channel on most tapes
after it auto changes tracks. When the tape is first inserted and
tracks are manually changed the problem is not apparent. Only when the
player auto changes does the static appear.
I also read that the problem could be attributed to a loose ground
wire connected to the screw that holds the head in place. By
tightening the screw the ground wire will then make proper contact and
eliminate the static.
Do either of these procedures really correct the problem? I'd use this
Roberts deck alot more if I could eliminate the crackling! BTW....this
deck has a cool after mod, the previous owner had a pause mode added
on using a toggle switch and an extra light that comes on when
engaged! I would really like to get this deck to play the way it
should. The sound is very nice otherwise.

Old September 17th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

Default Does Akai Mod Work For Noodles' brain?

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:54:29 -0400, "trippin-2-8-trak"
wrote:

ps- I believe the "adding capacitor" mod for the Akai decks was done to fix
the program switch problem, not the crackle problem

any deck with 15 khz-higher top end response, will crackle some snip

Bull****...NO 8 track machine has high frequency response that
good...period...and high frequency response has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to
do with "crackle." However, that "crackling" noise you always hear,
Noodles, maybe those worms eating your brain.

tape- because what it is sensing, is the graphite buildup on the playside of
the tape snip

Get a grip. The graphite isn't "sensed," it's shorting the head gap.
You really have no clue about anything electrical or magnetic, do you?

I have noticed that less pad pressure will reduce the crackle, because its
letting the tape back away from the tape head a bit- so the tape head isn't
hitting the graphite particles as hard and sensing them as "crackle"- but
then you risk also losing some music as well, on playback snip

Duh....

crackle with high-end 8-track decks is the "nature of the beast" snip

....thus confirming that 8 track is a "lo-fi" format with noise
problems galore. Thanks for finally admitting that, Noodles...ya
idiot.

oups.com...

Old September 18th 07, 01:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western

Bull**** and another Charlie Nudo con job. The mod is readily
available on 8tradkheaven. Don't ask Nudo for any info about it at
all. He doesn't even understand how it works!

Well maybe, but he did give it much thought.

Old September 18th 07, 01:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:30:52 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

Bull**** and another Charlie Nudo con job. The mod is readily
available on 8tradkheaven. Don't ask Nudo for any info about it at
all. He doesn't even understand how it works!

Well maybe, but he did give it much thought. snip

He tried to think, but nothin' happens!
Old September 18th 07, 05:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

now now, WWW- you don't here me needling you about your diet, do you ?

the wrong thing to do on the Akai decks, is put anothre cap or resistor in
that circuit- it won't work

the circuit has to be modified and re-routed, which requires a few things
unsoldered, then resoldered in other places

then it works like a champ

the mod requires a different approach for each deck as well ! The 80-81-82
each have slightly different circuits !

the cap fired track switching system, as it comes OEM on the Akai 80-81-82
and Roberts 808D, will never work reliably with old tapes- the graphite
conducts in minute amounts, enough to trick the circuit, and prematurely
drain the cap

Old September 18th 07, 07:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western

now now, WWW- you don't here me needling you about your diet, do you ?
Zuh?

Old September 18th 07, 08:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Slim Fast Noodles

On Sep 18, 12:22 pm, "trippin-2-8-trak" wrote:
now now, WWW- you don't here me needling you about your diet, do you ?

snip

"here me"? It's HEAR.

Charlie shows us his education once again.

Old September 18th 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:11:27 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

now now, WWW- you don't here me needling you about your diet, do you ?

Zuh? snip

Charlie's having (yet another) brain fart, WW...don't give it a second
thought. He can't even give anything a FIRST thought, come to think
of it....
Old September 18th 07, 09:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:55:17 -0000, Slim Fast Noodles
wrote:

On Sep 18, 12:22 pm, "trippin-2-8-trak" wrote:
now now, WWW- you don't here me needling you about your diet, do you ?

snip

"here me"? It's HEAR.

Charlie shows us his education once again. snip

In the BOTTOM 20% of his graduating class...what can one expect??

Charlie "Doing Better Than I Thought I Would" Nudo...well, so he
THINKS, anyway. Charlie flunked "Reality 101" in school too,
methinks.