How are stamps printed?

Old May 30th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default How are stamps printed?

I am curious about this topics, as it may show up in my exam, so I
thought I'd get informed... Also, any interesting facts about
finishing, or what type of paper the stamps are printed on would be
mucho apreciado,

Thanks guys, and gals

Sam

Old May 30th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am curious about this topics, as it may show up in my exam, so I
thought I'd get informed... Also, any interesting facts about
finishing, or what type of paper the stamps are printed on would be
mucho apreciado,

Since 1840, about every type of paper and every printing method has been
used somewhere for postage stamps. If you are interested in something
specific, like current US stamps, look for a specific site, like the USPS
site. Or look for books on philately in any decent library.

tjr

Old May 30th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

If you are in the US, visit your Library
and find Vol 1 of your standard Scott Postage Stamp Catalogue.
In the preamble this book gives a wonderful pot-pourri of
information regarding all things postal, print proceses included.
Here is an example from my grey-haired 1976 version.
http://cjoint.com/data/fEd0DoHrMK.htm

HTH

oups.com...

Old May 30th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

If you have access to a major stamp
catalogue (eg Scotts or Stanley
Gibbons) there is usually a section
in the beginning describing papers
and printing methods. (eg lithography,
typography, photogravure, engraved,
embossed etc.)

Blair

Old May 30th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

On 29 May 2006 16:01:16 -0700, "Sam" wrote:

I am curious about this topics, as it may show up in my exam, so I
thought I'd get informed... Also, any interesting facts about
finishing, or what type of paper the stamps are printed on would be
mucho apreciado,

Extensive discussion of printing methods can be found in "Fundamentals
of Philately" by L.N. Williams. This book may be too expensive for a
casual read and look up, but a book may be found if you search your
library or get an inter-library loan.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
Old May 30th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

The finest source of information regarding the printing of postage stamps

must be the award winning British website www.stampprinters.info .

This site contains a vast amount of information regarding the various

printing firms, the technology of printing and other fascinating
information.

Regards

John Law

oups.com...