(RCSD) Q: NFLD, Nova Scotia, Ontario

Old October 10th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Default (RCSD) Q: NFLD, Nova Scotia, Ontario

What happened here? This cover was posted from St. Johns,
NewFoundland on Nov 22, 1921 to Quebec, Ontario with an "Airmail to
Halifax, Nova Scotia/ 1921" stamp (NFLD Scott C3). It has 2 arrival
cancels (machine and hand) on the back; one is "Halifax / Feb 4 /
1922 / NS" and the other is difficult to read "....FEB ?5 / 22 / P?
O" (maybe Ontario).
Why over 2 months to where ever it actually arrived?

http://cover.home.mindspring.com/a/nfl001.jpg

TL

Old October 10th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

TL wrote :
What happened here? This cover was posted from St. Johns,
NewFoundland on Nov 22, 1921 to Quebec, Ontario with an
"Airmail to Halifax, Nova Scotia/ 1921" stamp (NFLD Scott
C3). It has 2 arrival cancels (machine and hand) on the
back; one is "Halifax / Feb 4 / 1922 / NS" and the other
is difficult to read "....FEB ?5 / 22 / P? O" (maybe
Ontario).
Why over 2 months to where ever it actually arrived?

http://cover.home.mindspring.com/a/nfl001.jpg

TL

It seems air travel was not the easiest thing up there
during winter :
http://members.tripod.com/Botwood/aviation.html
Perhaps that cover was in the Botwood-Halifax flight
attempt.

--
Best regards,
Bruno

Old October 10th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Oct 10, 2:42 pm, "bc92" wrote:
TL wrote :

What happened here? This cover was posted from St. Johns,
NewFoundland on Nov 22, 1921 to Quebec, Ontario with an
"Airmail to Halifax, Nova Scotia/ 1921" stamp (NFLD Scott
C3). It has 2 arrival cancels (machine and hand) on the
back; one is "Halifax / Feb 4 / 1922 / NS" and the other
is difficult to read "....FEB ?5 / 22 / P? O" (maybe
Ontario).
Why over 2 months to where ever it actually arrived?

http://cover.home.mindspring.com/a/nfl001.jpg

TL

It seems air travel was not the easiest thing up there
during winter :http://members.tripod.com/Botwood/aviation.html
Perhaps that cover was in the Botwood-Halifax flight
attempt.

--
Best regards,
Bruno

Thanks Bruno,
I had no idea that in spite of an overprint in it's honor that it
was still a difficult journey. That all fits into the same time
frame. I guess Quebec wasn't in Ontario back then either. (I wonder
what is scribbled after Quebec?)
Tom

Old October 11th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"TL" wrote in message
ps.com...

Thanks Bruno,
I had no idea that in spite of an overprint in it's honor that it
was still a difficult journey. That all fits into the same time
frame. I guess Quebec wasn't in Ontario back then either. (I wonder
what is scribbled after Quebec?)
Tom

Looks like Ontario to me

The cover may have some pertinence to you Tom,
Blanch (what a lovely name) has a surname Gushul
which seems is a current retreat for the Visual and Literary arts?

Gushul Studio Residence Program, Dept. of Art, 4401
University Dr., Univ. of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta
T1K 3N4 Canada. 1-3 month residency; all media,
fees charged. 1200 sq. ft. live/work space. (visual arts)

Old October 11th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 10, 5:52 pm, TL wrote:
On Oct 10, 2:42 pm, "bc92" wrote:

TL wrote :

[...]

Tom- Hide quoted text -

Hi Tom:

The address is Cowansville, Quebec (province).
I have been there. It has nothing to do with Ontario.

I suspect that it might be "Cnt." on the cover.
Cowansville is in the "Cantons de l'est" region
of Quebec. "Cantons de l'est" = Eastern townships.

As to the part cancel, it could be from Quebec City
or Cowansville. Thr PO that you refer to is PQ for
"Province of Quebec". I agree that the year is 22.
The second 2 is high and could be mistaken for a 4.

Regards
Blair

Old October 11th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 10, 8:10 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"TL" wrote in message

ps.com...

Thanks Bruno,
I had no idea that in spite of an overprint in it's honor that it
was still a difficult journey. That all fits into the same time
frame. I guess Quebec wasn't in Ontario back then either. (I wonder
what is scribbled after Quebec?)
Tom

Looks like Ontario to me

The cover may have some pertinence to you Tom,
Blanch (what a lovely name) has a surname Gushul
which seems is a current retreat for the Visual and Literary arts?

Gushul Studio Residence Program, Dept. of Art, 4401
University Dr., Univ. of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta
T1K 3N4 Canada. 1-3 month residency; all media,
fees charged. 1200 sq. ft. live/work space. (visual arts)

Rodney:

My guess is that the addressee was Blanch(e) Gushue.
Gushue is a name seen quite frequently in Newfoundland.
(currently almost 100 households).
There are no Gushuls, there.

Across Canada, there are some Gushuls, but there are
twice as many Gushues country wide.

There is a census record of a Miss Blanche Gushue born 1900
(Newfoundland) . In 1937 lived in Vancouver. Died 1999.

Blair

Old October 11th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
ups.com...
Rodney:
My guess is that the addressee was Blanch(e) Gushue.
Gushue is a name seen quite frequently in Newfoundland.
(currently almost 100 households).
There are no Gushuls, there.
Across Canada, there are some Gushuls, but there are
twice as many Gushues country wide.
There is a census record of a Miss Blanche Gushue born 1900
(Newfoundland) . In 1937 lived in Vancouver. Died 1999.
Blair

Thanks for that correction, sounds likely.
an example of the excitement of the www
in genealogy.
The lass was blessed with a very long life.
What changes she must have witnessed.

Old October 11th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Oct 10, 6:10 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"TL" wrote in message

ps.com...

Thanks Bruno,
I had no idea that in spite of an overprint in it's honor that it
was still a difficult journey. That all fits into the same time
frame. I guess Quebec wasn't in Ontario back then either. (I wonder
what is scribbled after Quebec?)
Tom

Looks like Ontario to me

The cover may have some pertinence to you Tom,
Blanch (what a lovely name) has a surname Gushul
which seems is a current retreat for the Visual and Literary arts?

Gushul Studio Residence Program, Dept. of Art, 4401
University Dr., Univ. of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta
T1K 3N4 Canada. 1-3 month residency; all media,
fees charged. 1200 sq. ft. live/work space. (visual arts)

Sounds interesting. I wonder if it is a great area for landscape.

Old October 11th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Oct 10, 7:03 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:52 pm, TL wrote:

On Oct 10, 2:42 pm, "bc92" wrote:

TL wrote :

[...]

Thanks Blair, Bruno and Rodney for your expertise in deciphering the
cancels and particulars of this cover. It always surprises me how a
whole story unfolds from these seemingly boring items.

Old October 11th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"TL" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks Blair, Bruno and Rodney for your expertise in deciphering the
cancels and particulars of this cover. It always surprises me how a
whole story unfolds from these seemingly boring items.

Thanks to Blair, you can see a picture of Blanche he
3rd pic down on the LHS
http://www.onlyyoudad.com/bobby.html

Perhaps send the webmaster an image of the cover
(helping to promote stamp collecting

Q: Lunenburg (Nova Scotia) amesh General Discussion 4 January 9th 06 11:24 AM
Nova SCOTIA SG 4 D. A. Hicks General Discussion 4 July 30th 05 09:52 PM
1861 nova scotia penny The Simmons Family Coins 4 February 19th 05 05:22 PM
Nova Scotia Coins rose Coins 0 January 17th 04 02:37 AM
Newfoundland & Nova Scotia Coins rose Coins 0 September 8th 03 03:02 PM