(RCSD) Theodorakis stamp/label/cinderella question

Old October 2nd 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default (RCSD) Theodorakis stamp/label/cinderella question

A couple of weekends ago I was talking with a local Greek priest -- not a
stamp collector -- and the chat came around to Mikis Theodorakis; trust me
to always make sure it does!! He knows I am a stamp collector and he told
me that recently he had seen a stamp with a picture of Theodorakis on a
podium conducting with a musical score in the background. It does not
appear to be a Greek stamp and since Google and the MT website gave me
nothing I'm starting to think it is not a stamp at all but some promotional
label or something from the Dunes. I shall probably put a post on
soc.culture.greek but judging by past experience I don't hold much hope of
help from that source.

I thank everyone in advance for any information.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old October 2nd 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

I have seen this 2002 stamp somehow attributed to him.
http://cjoint.com/data/kcfmp3RNTp.htm

HTH

Old October 2nd 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 1, 10:06 pm, "Tony Vella" wrote:
A couple of weekends ago I was talking with a local Greek priest -- not a
stamp collector -- and the chat came around to Mikis Theodorakis; trust me
to always make sure it does!! He knows I am a stamp collector and he told
me that recently he had seen a stamp with a picture of Theodorakis on a
podium conducting with a musical score in the background. It does not
appear to be a Greek stamp and since Google and the MT website gave me
nothing I'm starting to think it is not a stamp at all but some promotional
label or something from the Dunes. I shall probably put a post on
soc.culture.greek but judging by past experience I don't hold much hope of
help from that source.

I thank everyone in advance for any information.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canadahttp://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Tony:

I believe that Theodorakis is still alive. If Greece has similar
rules
to most countries that I know of, then we may see one after his
death.

Blair

Old October 2nd 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Thanks Rod.

That particular stamp is from a Jan. 2, 2002 series of regional dances and
shows a Xasariko dance which originally is from the Smyrna region. Whoever
associated that with MT must know something I don't know because I cannot
think of a reason for such an association. I must have a chat with my
priest-friend about that. The more I search around the more I am becoming
convinced that what he was talking about was a label/cinderella from heaven
knows where rather than an actual stamp.

Something that came to mind: My cousin in Malta tells me that just prior to
the "great" 2003 Elton John show in Valletta someone produced thousands of
stamp-looking labels that people were sticking to their letters/parcels
(next to the regular postage) as a promotion. If "my" label was such a
promotion, not putting the location seems to have defeated the purpose.
---
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada.

.. .

Old October 2nd 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
musicians.news:1191298117.849155.226830@57g2000hsv .googlegroups.com...
[...]

That is something that came to mind when I was searching my Greek stamp
database for "my" stamp. You know, Blair, I will never understand the Greek
PO. When Mercouri passed away, they issued a stamp in 95 and in the
presentation booklet she was referred to as politician and actress, not a
word about singer or musician. And the PO hardly noticed the passing of
Gatsos in 92 or Hadjidakis in 94. The US or Canada would have issued a set
of 25 for each one of them.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada

Old October 3rd 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Tony Vella" wrote in message
Thanks Rod.

That particular stamp is from a Jan. 2, 2002 series of regional dances and
shows a Xasariko dance which originally is from the Smyrna region.

Well, being reserved, paid off
I saw a similar image attributed to him on a "Composers on stamps"
and I naturally thought "Zorba the Greek"
Knowing how "presumptions" can get one in trouble
I held off, and glad I did

Old October 3rd 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"rodney" wrote in message
.. .

"Tony Vella" wrote in message
Thanks Rod.

That particular stamp is from a Jan. 2, 2002 series of regional dances
and
shows a Xasariko dance which originally is from the Smyrna region.

Well, being reserved, paid off
I saw a similar image attributed to him on a "Composers on stamps"
and I naturally thought "Zorba the Greek"
Knowing how "presumptions" can get one in trouble
I held off, and glad I did

Hi Rod. Don't misunderstand me, my friend, I wouldn't know one dance step
from another .... other than the Maltese Navy dance step: one fore, two aft
and box to starboard -- repeat if necessary! That Greek 02 set shows the
traditional dances of the different regions and each stamp has the name of
the dance and the region written right on it. But for that I wouldn't know
one from the other. The one you showed has Xasa'riko - Smyrnai'ikos.

Off topic: Funny thing about Theodorakis, Rod, in spite of such magnificent
compositions as his "Liturgy for Children Killed in Wars", his Canto
Olympico, and his Axion Esti, MT will always be remembered primarily for his
20 minute bouzouki pallikaria for the Zorba Ballet Suite (and the movie).
Like Schubert being remembered only for his Serenade.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada