Bank drafts acceptible in Denmark?

Old September 30th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Default Bank drafts acceptible in Denmark?

I am trying to conclude a purchase from a Danish seller, but he tells
me that a bank draft, drawn on a U.S. bank, is of no use to him. I
don't want to send cash, bank transfers are way too expensive for me,
and the seller can't accept a personal cheque. Can anyone offer
advice?

Bob Ingraham
Vancouver, BC

Old September 30th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Sep 29, 7:16 pm, Bobstamp wrote:
I am trying to conclude a purchase from a Danish seller, but he tells
me that a bank draft, drawn on a U.S. bank, is of no use to him. I
don't want to send cash, bank transfers are way too expensive for me,
and the seller can't accept a personal cheque. Can anyone offer
advice?

Bob Ingraham
Vancouver, BC

Does he take PayPal?
Otherwise travellers Cheques in EURO or USD.

Blair

Old September 30th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Does he take PayPal?
Otherwise travellers Cheques in EURO or USD.

Blair

Nope, no PayPal.

Bob

Old September 30th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
On Sep 29, 7:16 pm, Bobstamp wrote:
I am trying to conclude a purchase from a Danish seller, but he tells
me that a bank draft, drawn on a U.S. bank, is of no use to him. I
don't want to send cash, bank transfers are way too expensive for me,
and the seller can't accept a personal cheque. Can anyone offer
advice?

Bob Ingraham
Vancouver, BC

Does he take PayPal?
Otherwise travellers Cheques in EURO or USD.

Blair

Send cash in a registered letter.

Old September 30th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"Bobstamp" wrote in message
ups.com...

Does he take PayPal?
Otherwise travellers Cheques in EURO or USD.

Blair

Nope, no PayPal.

Hi Bob.

I realize that in your original post you mentioned your reluctance to send
cash, but sometimes we must take the bitter with the sweet for the sake of
the hobby. Over the last number of years I have sent cash in regular and
registered envelopes and have had only one money-not-received problem.
Since then I have given up sending cash in regular mail and have had my
envelopes registered, thereby requiring a signature upon receipt. Wrap the
cash in coloured paper -- I use kids construction paper from Dollarama --
and I can't see you having problems. Registration in Canada is about $7 all
told so keep that in mind when you are bidding if you see that the seller
will eventually have to be paid in cash. Hope this helps.
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old September 30th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mattias Kern

The problem is not unique to denmark.

Here in communist Canada, banks will not clear foreign payments, no matter the
format, for from 30-90 days!!

In the meantime they are holding your money, if the payment is actually good.

If the payment is NOT valid, and you have already sent the merchandise, then
you are S.O.L.!!

In other words, if you do not know the customer, do not ship until you have
CASH IN YOUR HANDS!!

Can be a very expensive lesson to learn, especially when dealing with some
countries........

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 08:48:31 -0400, "Tony Vella"
wrote:
oups.com...

Old September 30th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Droger Jean-Paul

Mette a présenté l'énoncé suivant :
"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
On Sep 29, 7:16 pm, Bobstamp wrote:
I am trying to conclude a purchase from a Danish seller, but he tells
me that a bank draft, drawn on a U.S. bank, is of no use to him. I
don't want to send cash, bank transfers are way too expensive for me,
and the seller can't accept a personal cheque. Can anyone offer
advice?

Bob Ingraham
Vancouver, BC

Does he take PayPal?
Otherwise travellers Cheques in EURO or USD.

Blair

Send cash in a registered letter.

Before biding, you must see how you can pay what you'd like! If the
seller is not clear I ask a question!

A registered letter will cost some money, 4 ¤ in France, 7 $ in Canada
and 10.5 in states; the best is paypal or bank transfert (here I pay 3
¤ for euro payments, 4/6 ¤ for an other country with IBIC or IBAN.

If I cannot find an agrement I don't bid, and generally the seller
accepts Paypal (some in Europe ask for 3% more to pay paypal, i, the
states and canada they ask nothing generally)!!

And I never send cash because you cannot prove you have send the money!

Have a good end of sunday!!

--
Pour m'envoyer un mail, remplacer anti par droger et manama par
wanadoo; to send me directly a mail replace anti with droger and manama

Old September 30th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Alan" wrote in message
Droger Jean-Paul wrote:

If I cannot find an agrement I don't bid, and generally the seller
accepts Paypal (some in Europe ask for 3% more to pay paypal, i, the
states and canada they ask nothing generally)!!

And I never send cash because you cannot prove you have send the money!

In the US its not allowed to ask for surcharges with paypal

That's what Jean-Paul wrote already ("the states and canada they ask nothing
generally").

I think that he made a good point in what concerns the (not) sending of
cash.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old September 30th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Alan" wrote in message
Victor Manta wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message
Droger Jean-Paul wrote:
If I cannot find an agrement I don't bid, and generally the seller
accepts Paypal (some in Europe ask for 3% more to pay paypal, i, the
states and canada they ask nothing generally)!!

And I never send cash because you cannot prove you have send the money!

In the US its not allowed to ask for surcharges with paypal

That's what Jean-Paul wrote already ("the states and canada they ask
nothing generally").

I think that he made a good point in what concerns the (not) sending of
cash.

Victor,
Once again you find it hard to understand. What I said was "In the US
it's not allowed to ask for surcharges with paypal" He said "the states
and canada they ask nothing generally" Its not the same.

Alan,

"states" means, of course, the USA.

"they ask nothing" means that the US and Canadian dealers don't surcharge on
PayPal (particularly because it's not allowed).

"generally" was specified by the prudent J.-P. because people don't always
do what it is allowed.

IMHO, it isn't me who has problems with the understanding, and this is
especially true in case of a neighbor French stamp collector who writes
here.

Just FYI, rather by chance, I'm fluent in French reading and speaking, like
in several other languages too. Are you also, like for example Mette, as
permanent here as myself (dobryi vecher, Mette! ?

Just to mention that other permanents and long time friends here are Blair,
Tracy, boB, Rod, Rein, TL, Ralph, Jay, Ed, Tony, Chris, Pierre, and many
others. We often friendly disagree but we need (and respect) one another,
and we try to keep as well the stamp collecting as particularly this ng
friendly running.

Actually, J.-P.'s most important point is to not send cash by post,
something that I've taken for a very good advise, coming from an
experienced person.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Old October 1st 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

wrote:

"Bobstamp" wrote in message
[...]

I also like the idea of wrapping up stuff that is mailed. Trades with
other collectors go in a cardboard wrapping that is covered with a
sheet of legal paper, yellow - lined. If the combo doesn't throw them
off, they'd have to open the letter before knowing what was inside -
much unlike sending money without any "wrapping" - easily seen.