1942 S Mercury Dime

Old October 6th 03, 12:39 AM
Fred

Default 1942 S Mercury Dime

Hi Everyone....especially those of CONECA,

I was going through a circulated roll of Mercury Dimes tonight and to my
surprise, I found a 1942 S with a DOUBLED DATE and DOUBLED LIBERTY. I know
I should buy the Cherrypickers Guide but I am cheap. Tonight I was using a
book called Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins by Frank
G. Spadone. It only lists coins up to 1964.

The coin has very prominent doubling in the date and LIBERTY and grades IMO
using ANA Grading Standards, VF30 to VF 35.

I would like to know what it is worth.

Thanks,
Fred

Old October 6th 03, 01:05 AM
Fred

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi Everyone....especially those of CONECA,

I was going through a circulated roll of Mercury Dimes tonight and to my
surprise, I found a 1942 S with a DOUBLED DATE and DOUBLED LIBERTY. I

know
I should buy the Cherrypickers Guide but I am cheap. Tonight I was using

book called Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins by Frank
G. Spadone. It only lists coins up to 1964.

The coin has very prominent doubling in the date and LIBERTY and grades

IMO
using ANA Grading Standards, VF30 to VF 35.

I would like to know what it is worth.

Thanks,
Fred

PS: Sorry guys and gals, it's not for sale.........unless a handsome offer
came across the table.

Old October 6th 03, 09:09 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

Fred wrote:

Hi Everyone....especially those of CONECA,

I was going through a circulated roll of Mercury Dimes tonight and to my
surprise, I found a 1942 S with a DOUBLED DATE and DOUBLED LIBERTY. I know
I should buy the Cherrypickers Guide but I am cheap. Tonight I was using a
book called Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins by Frank
G. Spadone. It only lists coins up to 1964.

The coin has very prominent doubling in the date and LIBERTY and grades IMO
using ANA Grading Standards, VF30 to VF 35.

I would like to know what it is worth.

Thanks,
Fred

Sorry to share this with you, Fred, but it is my understanding and my
opinion
that Spadone's book is in itself, an oddity. A lot of inaccurate
information
that misleads a lot of new collectors of die varieties, hub-doubled die
collectors, in particular. If anyone feels that I am mistaken, please
post
here. I would love to be corrected on this one. What you see is most
likely Machine Doubling Damage, pretty common on the 1942 S Dimes. Is
the
secondary image flat and shelf-like, or shaped like the image next to
it?
Please read the chapter on Doubled Dies in the Cherry Pickers' Guide.
There ARE doubled die Winged Liberty Dimes, but not the 1942 S, IMO.
HTH. Aram.
Old October 6th 03, 11:16 AM
Fred

I'm not sure if it is hub doubled or not...I don't particularly collect
variety coins per se.

Thats why I ask the experts.

Fred

Old October 6th 03, 07:54 PM
WinWinscenario

I'm not sure if it is hub doubled or not...I don't particularly collect
variety coins per se.

Post a pic so we can see the beast.

Regards,
Tom
Old October 6th 03, 08:15 PM
Craton

Sorry to share this with you, Fred, but it is my understanding and my
opinion
that Spadone's book is in itself, an oddity. A lot of inaccurate
information
that misleads a lot of new collectors of die varieties, hub-doubled die
collectors, in particular.

Yes, avoid this book. I think I have one somewhere but I own it only for
laughs.

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------
Old October 7th 03, 01:12 AM
Fred

Ok, this is hard to get it to scan in high enough detail for you all to see.
I scanned in the B in LIBERTY. The doubled part is actually to the right of
the B and is "lower" that the B. In fact, all the doubling, is "lower".

http://www.geocities.com/ellwynx/B.jpg

Thanks, Fred

Old October 7th 03, 05:27 PM
WinWinscenario

I scanned in the B in LIBERTY. The doubled part is actually to the right of
the B and is "lower" that the B. In fact, all the doubling, is "lower"

From David Lange"s "The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes"

"Mechanical or strike doubling is very common on all 1942-dated
dimes. This is particularly true of the 1942-S.

"Three repunched mintmarks are known.

"Other reports of uncertain value include a doubled die obverse mated with a
small "s" reverse."

Regards,
Tom
Old October 7th 03, 10:02 PM
Fred

So, can you explain this to me? How is this doubling acheived or created?

Fred

"WinWinscenario" wrote in message
I scanned in the B in LIBERTY. The doubled part is actually to the right

of
the B and is "lower" that the B. In fact, all the doubling, is "lower"

From David Lange"s "The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes"

"Mechanical or strike doubling is very common on all 1942-dated
dimes. This is particularly true of the 1942-S.

"Three repunched mintmarks are known.

"Other reports of uncertain value include a doubled die obverse mated with

small "s" reverse."

Regards,
Tom

FA: 1916-D mercury Dime, NGC MS-61FB Ira Stein Coins 0 August 7th 03 04:34 AM
1933 Mercury Dime john Coins 3 July 31st 03 01:22 AM
1935W Liberty Dime Question Larry Louks Coins 3 July 28th 03 09:31 PM
Foreign Coins Jason Ditz Coins 1 July 23rd 03 03:25 AM
FA: Two gorgeous NGC MS67 Mercury Dimes.. Harv Coins 0 July 11th 03 03:03 AM