Royal Canadian Mint offers 1912-1914 $5 and $10 gold coins

Old December 1st 12, 06:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default Royal Canadian Mint offers 1912-1914 $5 and $10 gold coins

The Bank of Canada has returned several thousand Canadian gold coins
minted between 1912 and 1914 to the Royal Canadian Mint for resale to
collectors.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1079...-resurfaces-as
-the-royal-canadian-mint-offers-rare-opportunity-to-own-canada-s-first-go
ld-coins-crafted-with-pride-from-1912-1914

Prices range from $500 to $1750 for individual coins, and $12,000 for a
six-piece "Premium Hand-Selected Set" (140 sets were available, sold out
almost immediately ...). Many of the individual coins are also sold out
already, but a few selected dates/denominations/conditions are still
available via the Royal Canadian Mint website:

http://www.mint.ca/store/buy/gold_coins-cat120004

Horridly, the "less visually appealing" coins in the hoard are to be
remelted into pure gold, presumably for making new bullion coinage.
Hopefully this decision can be overturned before the melting occurs and
the remaining pieces can also be offered to the public.

I've handled all six of these coins over the years, but never all six at
once ... I don't think I ever had more than two of them in stock at any
one time. This release is certainly going to shake up the historical
scarcity and value of these early Canadian gold pieces ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old December 1st 12, 10:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 11:32:13 AM UTC-6, Ken Barr wrote:
[...]

The adverse effect on the market never lasts all that long (it will correct back within a very few short years) and the better availability of pieces increases collector interest which eventually offsets the initial "dumping" problems. Too few pieces available is as much of a problem for a true collector as too many.

oly
Old December 1st 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:18:30 PM UTC-6, oly wrote:
On Saturday, December 1, 2012 11:32:13 AM UTC-6, Ken Barr wrote: The Bank of Canada has returned several thousand Canadian gold coins minted between 1912 and 1914 to the Royal Canadian Mint for resale to collectors. http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1079...-resurfaces-as -the-royal-canadian-mint-offers-rare-opportunity-to-own-canada-s-first-go ld-coins-crafted-with-pride-from-1912-1914 Prices range from $500 to $1750 for individual coins, and $12,000 for a six-piece "Premium Hand-Selected Set" (140 sets were available, sold out almost immediately ...). Many of the individual coins are also sold out already, but a few selected dates/denominations/conditions are still available via the Royal Canadian Mint website: http://www.mint.ca/store/buy/gold_coins-cat120004 Horridly, the "less visually appealing" coins in the hoard are to be remelted into pure gold, presumably for making new bullion coinage. Hopefully this decision can be overturned before the melting occurs and the remaining pieces can also be offered to the public. I've handled all six of these coins over the years, but never all six at once ... I don't think I ever had more than two of them in stock at any one time. This release is certainly going to shake up the historical scarcity and value of these early Canadian gold pieces ... -- Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email: P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com San Jose, CA *95152 * * Coins, currency, exonumia, souvenir cards, etc. 408-272-3247 * ** NEXT SHOW: Peninsula CC 11/4 Napredak Hall SJ The adverse effect on the market never lasts all that long (it will correct back within a very few short years) and the better availability of pieces increases collector interest which eventually offsets the initial "dumping" problems. Too few pieces available is as much of a problem for a true collector as too many. oly

I also find sales of good gold coins from "official" sources like this to be reassuring in an odd way.

The old timey politicians and bankers that I once knew would have kept these coins for themselves (indeed, they would have exchanged them out-of-the-till for current paper notes at "face" value if possible). These fairly intelligent guys are now almost all dead.

Our current crop of politicians and bankers and economists aren't smart enough to do that. They pass the gold coins on for paper money (albeit quite a bit of paper money).

So maybe they won't be smart enough to steal our gold as things get worse and worse in the future.

oly