Congress considers doing away with the $1 bill

Old November 30th 12, 10:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

Default Congress considers doing away with the $1 bill

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...rs-doing-away-
with-1-bill/

There's been a lot of talk about this recently, though I'll only believe it
if I ever see it!

Barney
Old December 1st 12, 12:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Nov 30, 5:14*pm, Barney wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...siders-doing-a...
with-1-bill/

There's been a lot of talk about this recently, though I'll only believe it
if I ever see it!

Barney

They've been talking about this for years.
Old December 1st 12, 02:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article
,
sgt23 wrote:

On Nov 30, 5:14*pm, Barney wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...siders-doing-a...
with-1-bill/

There's been a lot of talk about this recently, though I'll only believe it
if I ever see it!

Barney

They've been talking about this for years.

At least since 1979 when the SBA doller was introduced, and probably
since 1971 when the Ike doller hit the market ...

It's a fairly obvious follow-up to introducing a doller coin (the
Canadians did the coin intro / banknote discontinuation back in the mid
1980's), so it's not surprising the the US gubbermint has "thought about
it" for forty years but hasn't acted on it yet ...

IIRC, it was just a few years ago that the gubbermint discontinued the
"Strategic Helium Stockpile" that was preserving helium for use in our
blimps during wartime ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old December 1st 12, 03:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Friday, November 30, 2012 4:14:17 PM UTC-6, Barney wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...rs-doing-away- with-1-bill/ There's been a lot of talk about this recently, though I'll only believe it if I ever see it! Barney

I've read many recent blogs (especially on the right wing side) that say that Treasury Secretary Geithner announced discontinuing the cent and the five cent coins at a press conference a few days ago (about Tuesday 11/27/12). But I can't find any reputable news source that reports this, nor any reputable links.

oly
Old December 1st 12, 05:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"oly" wrote in message

On Friday, November 30, 2012 4:14:17 PM UTC-6, Barney wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...rs-doing-away-
with-1-bill/ There's been a lot of talk about this recently, though I'll
only believe it if I ever see it! Barney

I've read many recent blogs (especially on the right wing side) that say
that Treasury Secretary Geithner announced discontinuing the cent and the
five cent coins at a press conference a few days ago (about Tuesday
11/27/12). But I can't find any reputable news source that reports this,
nor any reputable links.

oly
-----------

Maybe you heard him refer to "...making no sense" and assumed that meant the
end of the penny.

Old December 2nd 12, 06:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Dec 1, 12:11*am, "bremick" wrote:
"oly" *wrote in message

On Friday, November 30, 2012 4:14:17 PM UTC-6, Barney wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...siders-doing-a...
with-1-bill/ There's been a lot of talk about this recently, though I'll
only believe it if I ever see it! Barney

I've read many recent blogs (especially on the right wing side) that say
that Treasury Secretary Geithner announced discontinuing the cent and the
five cent coins at a press conference a few days ago (about Tuesday
11/27/12). *But I can't find any reputable news source that reports this,
nor any reputable links.

oly
-----------

Maybe you heard him refer to "...making no sense" and assumed that meant the
end of the penny.

When was the last time the government did anything that made any
sense?

Old December 2nd 12, 03:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

"oly" *wrote in message

On Friday, November 30, 2012 4:14:17 PM UTC-6, Barney wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...siders-doing-a....
with-1-bill/ There's been a lot of talk about this recently, though I'll
only believe it if I ever see it! Barney

I've read many recent blogs (especially on the right wing side) that say
that Treasury Secretary Geithner announced discontinuing the cent and the
five cent coins at a press conference a few days ago (about Tuesday
11/27/12). *But I can't find any reputable news source that reports this,
nor any reputable links.

oly
-----------

Maybe you heard him refer to "...making no sense" and assumed that meant the
end of the penny.

When was the last time the government did anything that made any
sense?- Hide quoted text -

January 8, 1835.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/04/15/135423586/

Jerry
Old December 3rd 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:10:44 AM UTC-6, Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Dec 2, 1:32*am, sgt23 wrote: On Dec 1, 12:11*am, "bremick" wrote: "oly" *wrote in message ... On Friday, November 30, 2012 4:14:17 PM UTC-6, Barney wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...siders-doing-a... with-1-bill/ There's been a lot of talk about this recently, though I'll only believe it if I ever see it! Barney I've read many recent blogs (especially on the right wing side) that say that Treasury Secretary Geithner announced discontinuing the cent and the five cent coins at a press conference a few days ago (about Tuesday 11/27/12). *But I can't find any reputable news source that reports this, nor any reputable links. oly ----------- Maybe you heard him refer to "...making no sense" and assumed that meant the end of the penny. When was the last time the government did anything that made any sense?- Hide quoted text - - Show quoted text - January 8, 1835. http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/04/15/135423586/ Jerry

John Steele Gordon always comes up with ambitious sounding history articles with great titles or even great themes, and he starts the introductions out well. Then just when he gets going, he abbreviates (or even aborts) the whole thing with some simplistic and unsupported conclusion(s).

Years ago (before the internet), I remember some American Hertitage article that he did that was supposed to be a summary of the career of Charles M. Schwab, the American Steel magnate (associate of A. Carnegie). I was excited for the chance to learn something about the man. Mr. Gordon went on good for about one magazine page, and then threw the whole thing in the ditch (maybe thirty years short of Schwab's death), with some platitudes. But it was very typical of all his work that I have seen since.

I would also ask: what would have been wrong with developing better national highways in Andrew Jackson's time? And were Jackson's public land sales
smart or short-sighted? [Probably both]. At least Jackson insisted on being paid for the land in Specie, not private bank notes.

I would say that Nixon and Butz's decision to sell all that grain to the Russkies (while the grain was still in the hands of the average farmers) was the last really good Government decision [hey, it made my dad and his friends very rich for several years]. Or maybe Reagan's decisions to start the AGE and ASE and to restart the commemorative coins programs during his first term - those were good things as ideas, 'tho you might choose to be ****y about the details.

oly
Old December 3rd 12, 03:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

"oly" *wrote in message

[...]

Some that should have been thought out better.