Franklin PCGS FBL or not? Look and decide

Old November 14th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula

Default Franklin PCGS FBL or not? Look and decide

steve edwards wrote in
:

Recently I bought two 1955 Franklins graded MS64 by PCGS.
One is designated FBL, the other is not. Even better, the serial
numbers
are sequential, which means (I guess) that they were graded one right
after the
other. I've posted pictures of the Bell Lines at
http://www2.SPSU.edu/math/edwards/fbl.jpg

Take a look, and tell us which is which. I'm curious whether people
think there is a large
or even discernable difference. Both coins are nicely toned.
And I will give them both as a prize to whoever figures out which is
which is which.......NOT!!!

Steve E.

I would say that 'A' got the FBL grade. 'B' seems a bit weak on the left
side. But, from what I see in these pics, I'm not sure that either
really makes it.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old November 14th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Carney

Eric Babula wrote:
steve edwards wrote in
:

[...]

Personally, having collected Franklins for many years, I don't see a
FBL there at all. I dislike PCGS's use of the designation, much
preferring NGC's tighter standards. I'll say that PCGS called "B" a FBL
Franklin.

John

Old November 14th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
winwin

I pick A. The critical point is where the lines approach the bell
crack, and
there is more disturbance on B at that point.

Regards, Tom

Old November 14th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Gary Loveless

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:27:12 -0500, steve edwards
wrote:

Recently I bought two 1955 Franklins graded MS64 by PCGS.
One is designated FBL, the other is not. Even better, the serial
numbers
are sequential, which means (I guess) that they were graded one right
after the
other. I've posted pictures of the Bell Lines at
http://www2.SPSU.edu/math/edwards/fbl.jpg

Take a look, and tell us which is which. I'm curious whether people
think there is a large
or even discernable difference. Both coins are nicely toned.
And I will give them both as a prize to whoever figures out which is
which is which.......NOT!!!

Steve E.

"A" is FBL......

GaRY

Old November 15th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"steve edwards" wrote in message
Recently I bought two 1955 Franklins graded MS64 by PCGS.
One is designated FBL, the other is not. Even better, the serial
numbers
are sequential, which means (I guess) that they were graded one right
after the
other. I've posted pictures of the Bell Lines at
http://www2.SPSU.edu/math/edwards/fbl.jpg

Take a look, and tell us which is which. I'm curious whether people
think there is a large
or even discernable difference. Both coins are nicely toned.
And I will give them both as a prize to whoever figures out which is
which is which.......NOT!!!

Steve E.

Neither has a FBL but they might get one.
The A has a big hits across the top and the bottom lines--so you can't see
what's underneath that area because it was obliterated by the contact marks.
But they also take into consideration the entire other 99% of the coins
strike so they will hand out a FBL even if the actuall bell lines may be a
little weak. So I would need to see the whole coin.
The B is your typical goo-filled or die abraded strike.
You need to see sharp details that are fully struck--like the 'Pass and
Stow' needs to be strong, the heraldic eagle needs to have strong feathers
and there should be 3 hairs visible on his side burns.

Old November 15th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"bri" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Forgot to add that PCGS allows hits on the top lines.
The problem with NGC's tougher requirements--that is both sets of lines need
to be totally mark free and razor sharp-- is that they also are not as harsh
in their overall grading--seen some MS64's that are no better than MS63's in
PCGS slabs. There's a lot of PCGS 64 slabbed Frankies that are NCG 65's.
The difference in prices between some 64's and 65's is huge.

Old November 17th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
linxlvr

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 04:15:43 +0000, bri wrote:

"bri" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

I've had several pcgs slabbed franklins MS64's that no way were 64's. I
don't buy the whole pcgs is better than ngc anyway, but I definitely don't
agree on the franklins. Then again, I'm not a big fan of slabs either. :-)
--
dw

--
dw

Old November 17th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
linxlvr

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:27:12 -0500, steve edwards wrote:

Recently I bought two 1955 Franklins graded MS64 by PCGS.
One is designated FBL, the other is not. Even better, the serial
numbers
are sequential, which means (I guess) that they were graded one right
after the
other. I've posted pictures of the Bell Lines at
http://www2.SPSU.edu/math/edwards/fbl.jpg

Take a look, and tell us which is which. I'm curious whether people
think there is a large
or even discernable difference. Both coins are nicely toned.
And I will give them both as a prize to whoever figures out which is
which is which.......NOT!!!

Steve E.

A for PCGS
Neither for NGC
--
dw

Old November 17th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
steve edwards

Default The answer

A got the FBL designation, B did not. Everyone who answered
correctly is obviously qualified to go and apply for a job at PCGS.

Personally I don't see a significant difference between the two.
Thanks for your responses.

Steve E.