Seeburg 1973 "Matador" missing some selections; picking up others not selected

Old March 22nd 05, 08:03 PM

Default Seeburg 1973 "Matador" missing some selections; picking up others not selected

I have a Seeburg Matador that is literally giving me fits. I'm not that
great with a meter, electronics; but usually I can get around this
weakness by cleaning contacts, toroids, detent switches, and re-capping
buffer boards. Here's what happens, and what I've done so far.
When it was brought to me, it wouldn't select at all. I've re-shaped
the pins on the contact block, cleaned the toroids and grounding plate
with a pencil eraser, crocus cloth, rubbing alcohol, and finally,
electronic spray cleaner. I've also cleaned the detent switches behind
the mechanism.
It appears to operate properly at first, but then I realize it missed a
song or two that I did play, and adds extra selections that I did not
play. The control center works fine in my other Seeburgs I've tried it
in.
I've seen in other posts these symptoms could be due to the tormat
memory unit plug not making good contact. How do I check this, and know
A) it really is making good contact (all around the rca plug), or
B)it's making pretty good contact in most cases, but not quite perfect
as to cause the selection problems I'm experiencing. I don't feel it's
an alignment problem, or a problem with the contact block/toroids as it
is working 90% of the time. Could it be like the older Seeburgs, where
the keyboard throws out errant signals/noise to the tormat system? In
other words, in the keypad itself. What makes it work fine 90% of the
time, but miss some, and add other selections the other 10%? Thanks in
advance.
ps I know about the battery trick, and the old troubleshooting guide
stuff. But everytime I try to be systematic about it, it either leads
to a "faulty electronics" explanation, or doesn't really pinpoint the
problem I'm experiencing. I do realize my lack of electronics knowledge
(using a meter easily) is a big part of the problem. Can someone help
me narrow it down, and help with some step by step instructions, based
on what I've done so far? Thanks again, Rob

Old March 23rd 05, 12:50 AM
Juke Dude

Rob, Steve here. I thought I might impart upon you some useful info
regarding your dilema. Have you tried swapping your black & grey boxes? I've
had the same problem with std3's and other beasts of that ilk. BTW, that rca
conn. coming from the tormat, make sure you sand the female, (outer
portion), of the plug it connects to on that panel that houses that mech
start/stop credit and cancel switches. Hope this helps!

oups.com...

Old March 24th 05, 08:45 PM
rocky5656

Hi. What was the result of the d cell battery test? Were all
selections on both sides played?

Have the connectors to the black and grey boxes been cleaned and the
female pins reformed?

Has the keypad been dissassembled and cleaned properly?

Joe

Juke Dude wrote:
Rob, Steve here. I thought I might impart upon you some useful info
regarding your dilema. Have you tried swapping your black & grey

boxes? I've
had the same problem with std3's and other beasts of that ilk. BTW,

that rca
conn. coming from the tormat, make sure you sand the female, (outer
portion), of the plug it connects to on that panel that houses that

mech
start/stop credit and cancel switches. Hope this helps!

oups.com...

Old March 26th 05, 03:30 AM
Jim Murphy

Others have already indicated: It is most surely the black or grey box, I
don't remember which but on those machines that is really the only place
where your kind of problem can happen. Jim

oups.com...

Old March 26th 05, 04:45 PM

Hi Rocky,
No, I haven't cleaned them yet. What do you use to "clean" edge
connectors.? Crocus cloth, a pencil eraser, a small wire brush? I've
even heard some use Carbon Tet? Do they all work equally well? Is it
simply a matter of preference.
It seems I did try a different black/grey box combination last year
(out of a working Seeburg); sadly, it did not help. The keypad I
thought was an "either/or"; it either selects, or it says re-select and
try again. I didn't know it could cause intermittent selections, or
cause some to be missed.
Thanks all for your tips. I'm still learning this "electronic stuff". I
know a lot about the Seeburgs, but am finding out day-after-day, "if I
haven't encountered it before, the solution escapes me until I have it
explained to me, so I know what I'm dealing with." I'll let you know
how it turns out. Thanks again, Rob

Juke Dude wrote:
Rob, Steve here. I thought I might impart upon you some useful info
regarding your dilema. Have you tried swapping your black & grey

boxes? I've
had the same problem with std3's and other beasts of that ilk. BTW,

that rca
conn. coming from the tormat, make sure you sand the female, (outer
portion), of the plug it connects to on that panel that houses that

mech
start/stop credit and cancel switches. Hope this helps!

oups.com...

Old March 26th 05, 10:47 PM
rocky5656

Hi. I would highly recommend getting Ron Rich's Seeburg Microlog
troubleshooting guide, gives a *lot* of tips on how to find and repair
problems with these 70's phonos. Check Tony Millers site and go to the
books section.

My keypad on my USC2 gave a lot of *re-select* until I dissassembled
and cleaned it properly.

Have a nice Easter everyone!

Joe

Jim Murphy wrote:
Others have already indicated: It is most surely the black or grey

box, I
don't remember which but on those machines that is really the only

place
where your kind of problem can happen. Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

GOOD VINTAGE SELECTION:1970-1980 ALL TYPES Dohh Baseball 0 March 15th 04 04:50 AM
VINTAGE SINGLES 70-80 Dohh Baseball 0 January 26th 04 03:15 PM
vintage deals 1970-1980 Dohh Baseball 0 December 14th 03 09:20 PM
vintage singles/items 1970-1980 Dohh Baseball 0 December 2nd 03 11:27 PM
VINTAGE DEALS 70-80 Dohh Baseball 0 October 27th 03 10:57 PM