eBay auctions -- what's your pet peeve?

Old March 31st 05, 02:50 PM
Jeff Landon

Default eBay auctions -- what's your pet peeve?

Here's mine:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...assZharborcoin

Virtually every PCGS coin he has for sale is "+++" for the grade, or a "lock
for an upgrade", etc. The only coin I saw that he didn't mercilessly hype
was an MS65.

I don't think he has a single AU58 that he "honestly can't see why it's not
MS63".

The guy has nice coins, but the "ultra-conservative PCGS grade" has become a
cliche, and this seller over-uses it.

--Jeff (L.)

Old March 31st 05, 03:03 PM
stonej

Jeff Landon wrote:
Here's mine:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...assZharborcoin

Virtually every PCGS coin he has for sale is "+++" for the grade, or

a "lock
for an upgrade", etc. The only coin I saw that he didn't mercilessly

hype
was an MS65.

I don't think he has a single AU58 that he "honestly can't see why

it's not
MS63".

The guy has nice coins, but the "ultra-conservative PCGS grade" has

become a
cliche, and this seller over-uses it.

--Jeff (L.)

If the seller really believes it is a lock for an upgrade why don't
they
send it in themselves and then list it again with the higher grade and
make more money?. (smile face here).

Old March 31st 05, 03:19 PM
James Higby

"Jeff Landon" wrote in message
Here's mine:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...assZharborcoin

Virtually every PCGS coin he has for sale is "+++" for the grade, or a
"lock
for an upgrade", etc. The only coin I saw that he didn't mercilessly hype
was an MS65.

I don't think he has a single AU58 that he "honestly can't see why it's
not
MS63".

The guy has nice coins, but the "ultra-conservative PCGS grade" has become
cliche, and this seller over-uses it.

--Jeff (L.)

And his pictures aren't so hot, either. But at least he shows both sides of
the coins, unlike many others.

James

Old March 31st 05, 03:58 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:50:33 -0700, "Jeff Landon"
wrote:

Virtually every PCGS coin he has for sale is "+++" for the grade.

So, what's wrong with that? What are you, some kind of commie? The
guy's just an enterprising businessman with a very good eye for
quality who doesn't deal in 'average' coins. Period. What right do you
have to question his grading and marketing?

Or something like that. YMMV.

Chuck
Old March 31st 05, 04:02 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Jeff Landon" wrote in message
Here's mine:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...assZharborcoin

Virtually every PCGS coin he has for sale is "+++" for the grade, or a "lock
for an upgrade", etc. The only coin I saw that he didn't mercilessly hype
was an MS65.

I don't think he has a single AU58 that he "honestly can't see why it's not
MS63".

The guy has nice coins, but the "ultra-conservative PCGS grade" has become a
cliche, and this seller over-uses it.

--Jeff (L.)

My pet peeve:

Often, I cruise eBay Germany and eBay Austria for medals
and I find numerous potential additions for my collection. More often than not
they sell for less than I am willing to pay.

With no ready source of Euros and only a small percentage of overseas sellers taking
paypal,
I am left drooling, mouse finger twitching and no convenient way to acquire said
medals.
I know it is there auction and their right to set their own terms as they see fit
but that leaves me a very frustrated collector!

I want it, I need it, can't have it, can look but can't touch, no sireee.

Dale
Maybe I should collect thimbles!

Old March 31st 05, 04:10 PM
Jeff Landon

I have the right to question him because I am a consumer. I have the right
to state my opinion because I am American.

You, on the other hand, are an idiot. Period.

Or something like that.

news

Old March 31st 05, 04:13 PM
James Higby

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message

[...]

Anvils make a nice collection. Very seldom stolen and can be used in
self-defense.

James
'don't come near me, I'm armed'

Old March 31st 05, 04:17 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:02:33 -0600, "Dale Hallmark"
wrote:

With no ready source of Euros and only a small percentage of
overseas sellers taking paypal, I am left drooling, mouse finger
twitching and no convenient way to acquire said medals.

Isn't Bob Hairgrove in Switzerland? Maybe you could arrange for
payment through him?

Chuck
Old March 31st 05, 04:18 PM
Jeff Landon

Exactly. This is the point I was hoping someone would pick up on.

If he has such an "excellent eye for quality" (quoting a recent, not very
well thought-out post), then he should upgrade the coins and re-list them.

Of course, what was an MS63++++ coin would become MS64++++. ;-)

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 31st 05, 04:24 PM
James Higby

"Jeff Landon" wrote in message
Here's mine:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...assZharborcoin

Virtually every PCGS coin he has for sale is "+++" for the grade, or a
"lock
for an upgrade", etc. The only coin I saw that he didn't mercilessly hype
was an MS65.

I don't think he has a single AU58 that he "honestly can't see why it's
not
MS63".

The guy has nice coins, but the "ultra-conservative PCGS grade" has become
cliche, and this seller over-uses it.

--Jeff (L.)

I just took a second look at the auction in question and realized that I
have seen this guy set up at some shows. Over the past year or so he has
had some absolutely exquisite coins for sale. Some of them even appear to
be [gasp] undergraded in the slab. I can't believe I just said that.
Pardon me while I go check my temperature.

James
'trying to stay at about 37 Celsius'