Original Dates of Publication...

Old May 30th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.arts.books,alt.books.tom-clancy,rec.collecting.books,alt.publish.books
Writerosity

Default Original Dates of Publication...

I am looking up books at the local library, and at amazon.com, and I
can't tell when the original publishing date was at these sites. Is
there a website I can go to to give me this information on most
books? Thanks in advance.

Writerosity

Old May 30th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.arts.books,alt.books.tom-clancy,rec.collecting.books,alt.publish.books
Ogden Johnson III

http://www.clancyfaq.com/Publishing%20Record.htm

--
OJ III
Old June 1st 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.arts.books,alt.books.tom-clancy,rec.collecting.books,alt.publish.books
Writerosity

I'm talking about all books, not just Tom Clancy.

Writerosity
Old June 1st 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.arts.books,alt.books.tom-clancy,rec.collecting.books,alt.publish.books
Ogden Johnson III

Writerosity wrote:

I'm talking about all books, not just Tom Clancy.

Rule of thumb, depending on year/era published, and the US and/or
Berne convention copyright laws in effect at the time, the
copyright year is a guide to the year the work was originally
published. Beyond that, you're on your own as far as ways to
find the actual mm/dd/yy publishing date.

If someone was doing a data base of what you seek, a web search
would turn it up, and the publisher's of /that/ info would either
be providing it free, or for a fee.

--
OJ III
Old June 1st 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.arts.books,alt.books.tom-clancy,rec.collecting.books,alt.publish.books
Ogden Johnson III

Writerosity wrote:

I'm talking about all books, not just Tom Clancy.

ps

Then why in H(eck) did you include a.b.t-c in your stupid
cross-post instead of *all* the alt.books./name of author/ and
alt.fan./name of author/ newsgroups.

Did your mother have any children that weren't congenital idiots?

--
OJ III
Old June 1st 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.arts.books,alt.books.tom-clancy,rec.collecting.books,alt.publish.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Writerosity wrote:
I'm talking about all books, not just Tom Clancy.

Writerosity

Actually, I had thought Mr. Johnson very observant in that
detail.

If you bring up the internet Wayback Machine -
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php - and look up
abbookman.com, you will find in its archives a lengthy
(about 34 page) guide to first edition information by
publisher. Once you have digested this, then as to any
particular book, you can gain valuable information from
used.addall.com - though such information has to be read
with a discerning, and sometimes cynical, eye.

As to particular authors, you can often find bibliographies
of their works. These are most often in print and not on
the web, though I have come across some excellent ones (esp.
re the Sherlock Holmes novels and stories) on the web. As
to 19th and early 20th C American Literature, there is a
superb general bibliography known as the Bibliography of
American Literature, a large multi-volume set found in
better libraries.

Often what makes the difference between a true first and a
nearly true first is the kind of detail that Mr. Johnson
grabbed hold of. Sometimes the only difference is mashed
typeface on a certain line on a certain page of the book.
With the mashed type the book may be worth hundreds or
thousands. Without it, you can sell it for a few dollars.
But unless you consult the bibliographies, you will never
know that. The more reputable dealers who advertise on-line
provide such details. Others do not.

A gentleman named McBride published some pocket guides a
while back and these can easily be purchased on-line. They
provide useful information as to a limited number of books.

Francis A. Miniter
Old June 1st 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.arts.books,alt.books.tom-clancy,rec.collecting.books,alt.publish.books
Writerosity

On May 31, 6:54*pm, Ogden Johnson III wrote:
Writerosity wrote:
I'm talking about all books, not just Tom Clancy.

ps

Then why in H(eck) did you include a.b.t-c in your stupid
cross-post instead of *all* the alt.books./name of author/ and
alt.fan./name of author/ newsgroups.

Did your mother have any children that weren't congenital idiots?

--
OJ III

Do you have multiple personalities?

Writerosity
Old June 3rd 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.arts.books,alt.books.tom-clancy,rec.collecting.books,alt.publish.books
Writerosity

On May 31, 7:15*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:
Writerosity wrote:
[...]

Thank you.

Writerosity
Old June 4th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Helium[_2_]

Writerosity wrote:

Is there a website I can go to to give me this information
on most books? Thanks in advance.

You might look at the following sites and their links:
http://www.litterascripta.com/
http://www.rarebooks.org/firsted.htm
http://www.ioba.org/links.html

The Library of Congress is an excellent resource.
http://catalog.loc.gov/

while there is no one book that will give you all the information
you seek, various site have excellent links for this type of
information.

* Remove "-XXX" and "pi." before replying by email. *
Old July 13th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John Townsend

You can search the British Library catalogue:

http://catalogue.bl.uk

Best wishes,

John Townsend
Antiquarian Bookseller/Genealogist