(RCSD) A Possible Solution to SPAM

Old July 5th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default (RCSD) A Possible Solution to SPAM

I have a proposal to help with, if not eliminate the spam being posted
to RCSD.

I propose that the regular posters put (RCSD) at the Beginning of each
Subject line.
(see above)

This would allow readers to screen out non philatelic spammers and
cross posters.

Ideas?

Blair

Old July 5th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jul 4, 8:22?pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
I have a proposal to help with, if not eliminate the spam being posted
to RCSD.

I propose that the regular posters put (RCSD) at the Beginning of each
Subject line.
(see above)

This would allow readers to screen out non philatelic spammers and
cross posters.

Ideas?

Blair

Being a computer dummy I have no idea how to help save the group but I
am willing to try anything.
I had thoughts about starting another group but it probably wouldn't
be long before the same SPAM problem arose.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old July 5th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Most of these seem to come from the same company. Maybe a campaign of
planted stories claiming side-effects and death from their products
could be initiated. They seem to be insulated as there is no address
or email on their website (maybe buried in the html) but if they can
be located a campaign of false orders, etc. can be conducted. Any
techies out there know how to locate their phone numbers and email?

On Jul 4, 8:01 pm, Ralphael1 wrote:
On Jul 4, 8:22?pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:

I have a proposal to help with, if not eliminate the spam being posted
to RCSD.

I propose that the regular posters put (RCSD) at the Beginning of each
Subject line.

Old July 5th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 17:22:25 -0700, "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

I have a proposal to help with, if not eliminate the spam being posted
to RCSD.

I propose that the regular posters put (RCSD) at the Beginning of each
Subject line.
(see above)

This would allow readers to screen out non philatelic spammers and
cross posters.

Ideas?

That will work until we find a lurking spammer. Until then, it can be
an inside job.
Old July 5th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 20:04:24 -0700, TL wrote:

Most of these seem to come from the same company. Maybe a campaign of
planted stories claiming side-effects and death from their products
could be initiated. They seem to be insulated as there is no address
or email on their website (maybe buried in the html) but if they can
be located a campaign of false orders, etc. can be conducted. Any
techies out there know how to locate their phone numbers and email?

With a WHOIS, if the info is published through their domain registrar.

I'll keep an eye on it, since I have a lot less focus on things for
about a week. This only works if the smammer / sporger doesn't use an
anonymous remailer. Then we're SOL. Period.

I have seen several nyms here go through anonymous remailers, because
the person feared the law before-hand, e-mail or police retribution
from such acts, or simply harassment from their harassment. Some
people truly need to keep an anonymous nym, but most people DO NOT.

On Jul 4, 8:22?pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:

I have a proposal to help with, if not eliminate the spam being posted
to RCSD.

I propose that the regular posters put (RCSD) at the Beginning of each
Subject line.

Old July 5th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jul 5, 10:54 am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Ralphael1 found these unused words:

On Jul 4, 8:22?pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
I have a proposal to help with, if not eliminate the spam being posted
to RCSD.

I propose that the regular posters put (RCSD) at the Beginning of each
Subject line.
(see above)

This would allow readers to screen out non philatelic spammers and
cross posters.

Ideas?

Blair

Being a computer dummy I have no idea how to help save the group but I
am willing to try anything.
I had thoughts about starting another group but it probably wouldn't
be long before the same SPAM problem arose.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Perhaps you weren't a member, but changing or starting a group is -=not=- a
simple process on usenet !

IF necessary, however, you could have a semi-moderated group on Yahoo.

The 'moderator' would have to 'approve' membership, but then members would
freely post without posts being 'moderated'.

Any SPAMmer that snuck through, would simply be 'removed' by the moderator.

I don't know of a reverse filter, that would 'allow' [RCSD] and kill all
others.

JA- Hide quoted text -

Some newsreaders (eg AGENT) allow you to sort the messages by
subject.
All the (RCSD) messages would thus sort together. You can then
select
all the NON (RCSD) messages and mark them READ in one command.

Blair

Old July 5th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter D

I don't know of any filter in a newsreader than can be set to allow only
messages with a particular "wod" inthe subject line. Usually, you set
filters to delete, etc. and what's left is "good". Sorting by subject and
deleting is less automatic and more labour intensive than what is desirable.

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 4, 8:22?pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
I have a proposal to help with, if not eliminate the spam being posted
to RCSD.

I propose that the regular posters put (RCSD) at the Beginning of each
Subject line.

Old July 6th 07, 08:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

"Peter D" [email protected] wrote in message
|I don't know of any filter in a newsreader than can be set to allow only
| messages with a particular "wod" inthe subject line. Usually, you set
| filters to delete, etc. and what's left is "good". Sorting by subject and
| deleting is less automatic and more labour intensive than what is
desirable.

Code works great for me. Thanks to person who thought of this.
With Outlook Express, clicking on subject sorts by subject.
And probably stays that way until say to sort otherwise.
When done reading everything, it is easy to mark everything as read.
I have View set to hide read messages when opening group, so no need to
delete except very occasionally

tjr