Which Ink???

Old January 2nd 05, 12:30 AM
Cliff Reynolds

Default Which Ink???

I have never, in my life, used a fountain pen. However, I just purchased a
new Pelikan M200 on e-Bay ($49.00). What would be the best black ink that I
can buy to use with this pen? I've been reading about how some pens are
"wet", and some are "dry". I understand the concept. However, I have no
idea how the M200 performs in this regard. Any suggestions on a nice dark
black ink?

Thank you,

Cliff

--

__O
_-\,_

Old January 2nd 05, 12:37 AM
john cline ii

"Cliff Reynolds" wrote:

|I have never, in my life, used a fountain pen. However, I just
purchased a
| new Pelikan M200 on e-Bay ($49.00). What would be the best black ink
that I
| can buy to use with this pen? I've been reading about how some pens
are
| "wet", and some are "dry". I understand the concept. However, I
have no
| idea how the M200 performs in this regard. Any suggestions on a nice
dark
| black ink?

Noodler's Black is very, very dark and has the advantage of being darn
near bullet proof and permanent on paper. Available from the good Sam
at http://www.pendemonium.com ; Chuck Swisher at
http://www.swisherpens.com and the fine folks at http://www.pencity.com
All are good merchants and great people to deal with. Aurora Black is
also very good ink... As to the M200, in my experience, the pen as a
rule is neither a wet writer nor a dry one.

In about a month (or less) Nathan Tardif, maker of Noodler's, will have
American Eel ink out, which will have the added advantage of keeping
that piston in your M200 all nice and lubricated...

john cline ii, happy customer of all individuals and firms named
herein!

Old January 2nd 05, 12:57 AM
Cliff Reynolds

John,

Thank you for the informative (and speedy) reply! Will give the Noodler's
Black a try.

Cliff

Old January 2nd 05, 03:56 AM
KCat

and if for any reason you decide you don't love Noodler's (I've got several
of these inks, most of which perform very well) then consider Aurora Black
which is probably one of the most popular saturated black inks.

Pelikans are generally considered wet writers as JCII already said.

Old January 2nd 05, 04:31 AM
Cliff Reynolds

K Cat,

I just ordered a bottle of Noodler's Black. Thank you for the info. Wish
me luck!

Cliff

m...

Old January 12th 05, 07:42 AM
LEFTPAWRM

Subject: Which Ink???
From: "john cline ii"
Date: Sat, Jan 1, 2005 7:37 PM

"Cliff Reynolds" wrote:

|I have never, in my life, used a fountain pen. However, I just
purchased a
| new Pelikan M200 on e-Bay ($49.00). What would be the best black ink.......

| idea how the M200 performs in this regard. Any suggestions on a nice
dark black ink?

Noodler's Black is very, very dark and has the advantage of being darn near

bullet proof and permanent on paper.
rule is neither a wet writer nor a dry one.

john cline ii, happy customer of all individuals and firms named
herein!

It should be noted that the Penquin is not going to stand by his guarantee if a
Pelikan (and maybe all the pens he sells) has had Noodler's Black used in it.

Don't know why. He must know something we don't.
Also do not know how Noodler's can be detected. It doesn't smell like a
catfish.

I use the Noodler's Black in a Platignum -sometimes it's balky- seems to hang
up in the cartridge (surface tension?). I just tap the cartridge and it works
ok. It is waterproof and it does write very well on the cheaper papers but not
as well on the better ones -that's MMPG.

The American Eel is an interesting idea for an ink but I've got 8 (and had as
many as 12) Pelikans and have had to lubricate one
(a 100). What's in this ink? Mobil One?

I give a vote for the Aurora Black too. I use it too as well as another ink
(which I use by the gallon -so it seems) which shall remain unnamed due to its
controversial nature.

BRBR

Old January 12th 05, 08:04 AM
Juhapekka Tolvanen

"Cliff Reynolds" writes:

I have never, in my life, used a fountain pen. However, I just
purchased a new Pelikan M200 on e-Bay ($49.00). What would be the best
black ink that I can buy to use with this pen?

How about Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black?

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"sinun kauneutesi kaataa valtakuntia. minun pimeyteni raiskaa runoutta." CMX
Old January 12th 05, 11:19 AM
Jeff Miars

Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

"Cliff Reynolds" writes:

I have never, in my life, used a fountain pen. However, I just
purchased a new Pelikan M200 on e-Bay ($49.00). What would be the best
black ink that I can buy to use with this pen?

How about Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black?

One of my favorites; and you can buy it by the liter.

Old March 1st 05, 02:34 AM
Matthew

Private Reserve "Velvet Black".
Sweet......