A Politically Incorrect Postage Stamp

Old October 5th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
javawizard

Default A Politically Incorrect Postage Stamp

At one time, the country of Albania honored a smoker who used twelve
packs a day, by putting his picture on a postage stamp. - from www.odd-info.com
Old October 6th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 4, 9:44*pm, javawizard wrote:
At one time, the country of Albania honored a smoker who used twelve
packs a day, by putting his picture on a postage stamp. - fromwww.odd-info.com

useless reference.

Neither the site nor the referenced footnote
give us his name or fetails of the stamp.
Old October 6th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
RWF

On Oct 4, 9:44*pm, javawizard wrote:
At one time, the country of Albania honored a smoker who used twelve
packs a day, by putting his picture on a postage stamp. - fromwww.odd-info.com

AFAIK smoking, while a noxious habit, is not politically incorrect.
Old October 6th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Art

On Oct 5, 10:55*pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
RWF found these unused words:

On Oct 4, 9:44*pm, javawizard wrote:
At one time, the country of Albania honored a smoker who used twelve
packs a day, by putting his picture on a postage stamp. - fromwww.odd-info.com

AFAIK smoking, while a noxious habit, is not politically incorrect.

It is now, as most US areas have laws against smoking, they're 'politically'
motivated, so ... G!

Hi
Just think about how much money the many governments received
from the taxes on cigarettes and other tobacco products.
Art
Old October 6th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:08:59 -0700 (PDT), Art
wrote:

On Oct 5, 10:55*pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
RWF found these unused words:

On Oct 4, 9:44*pm, javawizard wrote:
At one time, the country of Albania honored a smoker who used twelve
packs a day, by putting his picture on a postage stamp. - fromwww.odd-info.com

AFAIK smoking, while a noxious habit, is not politically incorrect.

It is now, as most US areas have laws against smoking, they're 'politically'
motivated, so ... G!

Hi
Just think about how much money the many governments received
from the taxes on cigarettes and other tobacco products.
Art

Not to mention all of the wild, weird and wonderful revenue stamps
Old October 6th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Dominique Stéphan

javawizard a écrit:
At one time, the country of Albania honored a smoker who used twelve
packs a day, by putting his picture on a postage stamp. - from www.odd-info.com

Hello,

It looks like it was abour king Zog
http://www.skeptics.com.au/quiz/2008/0803.htm

I don't know if there is a stamp about it though.

--
Cordialement
Dominique Stéphan
Old October 6th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

It is now, as most US areas have laws against smoking, they're 'politically'
motivated, so ... G!

As someone who is suffering the effects of long-ago second-hand smoke
and will for the rest of my life, calling the motivation 'political' is
not so funny to me. Tobacco and tobacco smoke are full of poisons and
it is 'political' (votes and revenue) that they are not banned.

Terry
Old October 7th 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Oct 6, 2:52*pm, Terry Reedy wrote:
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

It is now, as most US areas have laws against smoking, they're 'politically'
motivated, so ... G!

As someone who is suffering the effects of long-ago second-hand smoke
and will for the rest of my life, calling the motivation 'political' is
not so funny to me. *Tobacco and tobacco smoke are full of poisons and
it is 'political' (votes and revenue) that they are not banned.

Terry

Smoking is not a God given right. Where one smokes is not a right
either.
Yes, I smoked for thirty years but have been 'celebate' for thirty
years.
I support the laws, politicall or otherwise, that ban smoking in
public places.
Smoking on stamps? Yep, two that come to mind are France, Scott 1698
and Venezuela, 1503a. These two loosely fall into the Joint Issues
category, my speciality.
I have the France but not the Venezuela.
I am not worried they will contaminate my collection. G

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old October 7th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
RWF

On Oct 6, 2:52*pm, Terry Reedy wrote:

As someone who is suffering the effects of long-ago second-hand smoke
and will for the rest of my life, calling the motivation 'political' is
not so funny to me. *Tobacco and tobacco smoke are full of poisons and
it is 'political' (votes and revenue) that they are not banned.

Banning cigarettes is not the answer, it would only lead to illegal
activity (remember prohibition).
Education, a total ban on advertising, forcing manufacturers to
package their cancer sticks in plain white boxes, higher (say $20 a
pack) taxes, publically funded smoking cessation programs, cracking
down on illegal off-shore and Indian smoke sales are all required to
end the plague of smoking in the US of A.

Old October 7th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Ralphael1" wrote in message

Smoking is not a God given right.

I have thought that the rights in the USA are listed in its Constitution.
There are a few basic principles on which it stands, like the right to
liberty and to the pursuit of happiness.

For this reason may I ask if the US Constitution does ban smoking?

A scarce stamp dedicated to tobacco was issued by Italy on Sept. 11, 1950,
in a set of three. It publicizes the European Tobacco Conference, Roma,
1950. Scott 544-546.

The Scott No. 546, $26 NH in my Scott 1999, is shown he
http://www.stampview.com/it/it546th.jpg
BTW, what do you think, is this nice lady still alive? If so, she should be
about 80 years old today ;-)

The set way overprinted for Trieste, Sc. 85-87

--
Victor Manta

Incorrect Scott Numbers in 1943 Scott Stamp Album? Kent[_2_] General Discussion 3 June 14th 08 08:13 PM
Merry Xmas [Politically correct version] Xray Coins 4 December 26th 04 05:05 AM
[Fwd: Should your dog be on a postage stamp?] AK47 General Discussion 6 September 3rd 04 12:35 PM
Old Postage Stamp Prices? Randy General Discussion 2 November 9th 03 11:20 PM
Politically correct? LN in DC General Discussion 0 September 21st 03 12:10 PM