(RCSD) OT - I am back

Old November 13th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default (RCSD) OT - I am back

Hi Guys,

Am I the only one that is still using Yahoo!?

The only problems that I have had with them is downloading from their
site for updates. I usually call support and have them send me a new
CD which I get within a couple of days. Also what I like is the fact
that, unlike AOL, my address book and saved emails are on their site
not my machine. Update is a breeze as nothing has to be migrated.
Also what is nice is disposable e-mail addresses, such as the one I
use for the group. If I start getting junk mail I just suspend the
address for a while.

Oh well, that's my 2 cents worth.

Jerry B

Old November 13th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Nov 12, 11:57 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"Ralphael1" wrote in message
Works pretty good reading emails, however attachments do not download.
RtOo

Are you sure?
try opening the email in full screen,
(double click the email)
you should see it both in the attachment bar,
and at the end of the email if it is an image.

Yep, did that and the attachments did not download.

RtOo

Old November 13th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Nov 13, 1:06 am, "Terry Reedy" wrote:
"Ralphael1" wrote in message

ups.com...
| I did not have problems when I had dial-up and paid for AOL. I was
| happy without Broadband and do not see why it excites prople.

1. Speed (30 times faster, or more). I like pictures, including those of
stamps. (But yes, dial-up was ok for email and normal small newsgroup
posts.)
My daughter watches instructional videos as part of her schooling.

2. Freeing the phone line for its original use as voice communication
device ;-). With three of us here, someone is online on and off all day.
But one person with restricted periods of online time would be different.

tjr

Thanks Terry, I had two phone lines, one didicated to dial up. I did
delete a few large downloads that took a long time to download. The
offline, newsgroups and much of the online things I do now takes twice
as long with Broadband.

RtOo

Old November 13th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Nov 13, 5:27 am, wrote:
Hi Guys,

Am I the only one that is still using Yahoo!?

The only problems that I have had with them is downloading from their
site for updates. I usually call support and have them send me a new
CD which I get within a couple of days. Also what I like is the fact
that, unlike AOL, my address book and saved emails are on their site
not my machine. Update is a breeze as nothing has to be migrated.
Also what is nice is disposable e-mail addresses, such as the one I
use for the group. If I start getting junk mail I just suspend the
address for a while.

Oh well, that's my 2 cents worth.

Jerry B

OK Jerry, Yahoo for Yahoo, I used Yahoo very, very little and did not
notice anything awry.

RtOo

Old November 13th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Ralphael1 wrote :
Works pretty good reading emails, however attachments do not download.

Hello Ralph,

Are you speaking of problems to download attachments with OE (Outlook
Express) ?

If this is the case you should know that for some silly reason, when you
use OE for the 1st time, the preset settings are to prevent you
downloading attachments (to prevent you downloading viruses).
BUT : as a reasonable person I imagine you have a good and updated
anti-virus software and also, what is the use of e-mails if you can't
download attachments :-(((

Quite easy to modify this setting (the only problem is that my OE is in
French, so the wording in yours may differ a little bit).

Open OE
Click on Tools then Options (?) (last line of Tools)
Click on Security (Safety ?)
Un-tick the 4th box ("Do not authorise Opening or Saving attachments
that may contain viruses")
Un-tick the 5th box ("Block the images ...")

Now please tell us if it works !

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old November 14th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Nov 13, 4:20 pm, "Pierre Courtiade" wrote:
Ralphael1 wrote :

[...]

Thanks Pierre, I have your instructions written down.
Hopwever, at this point I cannot access OE or IE. When I go to my AOL
mail I get a IE error window. If I click Send to MS or Do Not Send I
am booted off line. I have not used OE very much.

RtOo

Old November 14th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Pierre Courtiade" wrote in message

Now please tell us if it works !
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Interesting!
well done Pierre.

Old November 14th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Ralphael1 wrote :

Thanks Pierre, I have your instructions written down.
Hopwever, at this point I cannot access OE or IE. When I go to my AOL
mail I get a IE error window. If I click Send to MS or Do Not Send I
am booted off line. I have not used OE very much.

So, apparently, your problem is not with OE or IE.

Some years ago, I had a very bad experience with AOL : I disliked the
way they organized all their windows and above all the fact that every 6
months they were inventing a new version of AOL totally different from
the previous one. Above that, very bad transposition from the original
US software to the French version.
In summary I disliked the appearance of AOL ; I understand that you like
it and I do not argue on that.

But during the 2 year I had to use AOL, I discovered that AOL were
making any possible effort to prevent OE and IE functionning correctly
on the same computer.
And similarly Microsoft was making every effort in order that AOL would
not work properly.

The problem is - like it or not - that if you operate a PC with Windows,
IE (and in a lesser way OE) are deeply embedded in your computer and if
you try to get rid of IE and OE, your computer will *no more* work.
You are not obliged to *use* IE & OE but you have to keep them in your
computer.

So the best advice I can give you is either staying totally with AOL,
either un-installing ANY AOL software from your computer (after saving
all your e-mails, address books, etc ...) and then using :

- for acces to the web : IE (or Mozilla Firefox if you are allergic to
Micro$oft :-)
- for your e-mails and for acces to the news-groups : OE (or Mozilla
Thunderbird if you are allergic to Micro$oft :-)

I personnally use Mozilla Firefox to acces the Web (even though I am not
very pleased by some strange things arriving from time to time but quite
rarely)

I tried Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mails and news-groups ; but I quickly
gave up as this software needs dozens of patches in order to get
something as powerful and simple to use as OE.

To finish, all this (OE versus AOL) has IMHO nothing to do with your
Internet provider (which I understand is now Verizon, that I do not
know).

Above all, the fact that with broadband it is now as slow as dial up
shows that you have another problem which limits your performances :

anti-virus, fire-wall, malware, spyware, a legit program trying to
access internet too often to get updates, ???

There may be many reasons for this slowness and it may be difficult to
find what happens.

But definitely when you will have experienced the full speedness of
broadband, you will NEVER come back to dial up.

With dial up, theoretically you get 56 Kb/s and in practice 25 Kb/s.
With my brodband connection at 8 Mb/s or 8,000 Kb/s it is 8,000 / 25 =
320 times more rapid.

Any current BIG file is downloaded in a few seconds instead of several
ten minutes.

But as I said, this is only my humble personal opinion :-)

--
Kind regards,
Pierre

Old November 14th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:28:31 -0800, Ralphael1 wrote:

On Nov 12, 2:13 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:53:45 +0800, "rodney"

wrote:

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been out of touch for a short period and the retturn may be
short lived.
I changed servers to Verizon and there has been nothing but trouble
since. Verizon has crashed twice, the last time taking OE and IE with
it. I know I have 51 messages in my AOL mail box but cannot get access
to AOL.

I don't understand your problem?
What has dial up, and broadband have to do with your
problems with your (presumed) "email client"

I've asked him that several times. :^P

Stay with your broadband, which seems to me to be
common sense, just hunt around for a decent "email client"
that is, an email/news interface that you are comfortable with,
My nerdy son seems to adore Mozilla Firefox, whilst I remain
loyal to Outlook Express.

Good advice - he's heard it several times.

Once you have done that, email me offlist, and I'll give
you a free News reader source server, and you'll
be a happy camper.

But, he won't change. He's the "old One", remember?

Back to dial up? no way Jose.

Ahhhh... the good old days.

Yeah, and I sti;l use floppies. The CD-R and CD-RW sux big time.

RtOo

Do you still practice safe computing and wear a write protect tab as
well? :^P
Old November 14th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:29:58 -0800, Ralphael1 wrote:

On Nov 12, 2:14 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:37:44 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien

wrote:
Ralphael1 found these unused words:

On Nov 10, 10:53 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"Ralphael1" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

I don't understand the problem either, I just know that Verizon is
much harder and takes twice as long as the old dial up and AOL. At
present I do not have OE, IE or AOL is a usable fashon. I'm working on
it.

RtOo

Did Verizon have you install some program?

OTW it would be a problem with your termination of AOL, a noted 'hook'
installer (guarantees -=they're=- the 'default' and usually has incomplete
removal.

IF you're running both - bad idea!

If you've terminated AOL 'service', then most likely your messages are gone.

'Broadband' never guarantees any actual speed, however, it never should be
worse than a very good dial-up.

Further, he may have his anti-virus on realtime, which slows the PC
down about 30% or more...- Hide quoted text -

Could very well be and I suspect the Firewall may be doing some
blocking of its own.

These are common problems we face because the software many times
isn't real-time optimized. I turn off my resident scan in favor of a
better throughput.

That said, I do monitor my PC - maybe far too much - by scanning
frequently when working with stamps.