(RCSD) OT - I am back

Old November 11th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default (RCSD) OT - I am back

I have been out of touch for a short period and the retturn may be
short lived.
I changed servers to Verizon and there has been nothing but trouble
since. Verizon has crashed twice, the last time taking OE and IE with
it. I know I have 51 messages in my AOL mail box but cannot get access
to AOL.
I may have to forget about retrieving anything from AOL and only use
Verizon.
I don't like Verizon at all. With AOL each address had its own
favorites and address book, not so with Verizon, everything goes to
the master screen name.
Folliwing the two crashes I found AOL 7.0, 9.0, 9.0 VR and 9.1
installed on my computer. I have never had 7.0. The 9.0 VR may be the
Verizon free AOL and the 9.1 may be the updated version. With the free
AOL there is no updates or anything else except mail.
I just may format the hard drive and start over with dial-up.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old November 11th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have been out of touch for a short period and the retturn may be
short lived.
I changed servers to Verizon and there has been nothing but trouble
since. Verizon has crashed twice, the last time taking OE and IE with
it. I know I have 51 messages in my AOL mail box but cannot get access
to AOL.

I don't understand your problem?
What has dial up, and broadband have to do with your
problems with your (presumed) "email client"

Stay with your broadband, which seems to me to be
common sense, just hunt around for a decent "email client"
that is, an email/news interface that you are comfortable with,
My nerdy son seems to adore Mozilla Firefox, whilst I remain
loyal to Outlook Express.

Once you have done that, email me offlist, and I'll give
you a free News reader source server, and you'll
be a happy camper.

Back to dial up? no way Jose.

Old November 11th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Ralphael1 wrote:
[...]

I've got Verizon FiOS and am quite satisfied with it but I have stayed
away from the specific software that Verizon offered me.

I have been using Firefox as a browser and Thunderbird as an e-mail
client for some time and been happy with both. And I stay as far away as
possible from AOL.

Just my two cents worth...

Bill
Old November 12th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Nov 10, 8:58 pm, Alan wrote:
Ralphael1 wrote:
[...]

Try mail2web.com you can read any email from there- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the response and input, I will give it a shot.

RtOo

Old November 12th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Nov 10, 10:53 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"Ralphael1" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

I don't understand the problem either, I just know that Verizon is
much harder and takes twice as long as the old dial up and AOL. At
present I do not have OE, IE or AOL is a usable fashon. I'm working on
it.

RtOo

Old November 12th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Nov 11, 4:47 pm, Bill Sharpe wrote:
Ralphael1 wrote:
[...]

Bill- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bill for the input. AOL, either you love it or hate it, no
middle ground. Personally I found it very easy to use and problem
free.
I am considering changing everything over to Verizon and erase AOL. I
still do not like Verizon, probably never will.

RtOo

Old November 12th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

FWIW: Firefox/Thunderbird is the basis (later customized) for both Netscape
and AOL.

That's true for the current Netscape 9.0, but AOL was first available as
a Mac browser in 1989 and for DOS in 1991, long before Firefox and
Thunderbird came on the scene.

Bill
Old November 12th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:43:04 -0800, Ralphael1 wrote:

[...]

tsk, tsk... I guess that's one explanation of insanity - doing the
same exact thing and expecting different results.
Old November 12th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:53:45 +0800, "rodney"
wrote:

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been out of touch for a short period and the retturn may be
short lived.
I changed servers to Verizon and there has been nothing but trouble
since. Verizon has crashed twice, the last time taking OE and IE with
it. I know I have 51 messages in my AOL mail box but cannot get access
to AOL.

I don't understand your problem?
What has dial up, and broadband have to do with your
problems with your (presumed) "email client"

I've asked him that several times. :^P

Stay with your broadband, which seems to me to be
common sense, just hunt around for a decent "email client"
that is, an email/news interface that you are comfortable with,
My nerdy son seems to adore Mozilla Firefox, whilst I remain
loyal to Outlook Express.

Good advice - he's heard it several times.

Once you have done that, email me offlist, and I'll give
you a free News reader source server, and you'll
be a happy camper.

But, he won't change. He's the "old One", remember?

Back to dial up? no way Jose.

Ahhhh... the good old days.
Old November 12th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:37:44 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Ralphael1 found these unused words:

On Nov 10, 10:53 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"Ralphael1" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Did Verizon have you install some program?

OTW it would be a problem with your termination of AOL, a noted 'hook'
installer (guarantees -=they're=- the 'default' and usually has incomplete
removal.

IF you're running both - bad idea!

If you've terminated AOL 'service', then most likely your messages are gone.

'Broadband' never guarantees any actual speed, however, it never should be
worse than a very good dial-up.

Further, he may have his anti-virus on realtime, which slows the PC
down about 30% or more...