The First Art Stamp Ever?

Old November 9th 05, 10:36 AM
amesh

Default The First Art Stamp Ever?

Collectors of Art Stamps have often discussed which was the first art
topical stamp to be issued. Some say that this collecting area began with
the French art series in the early 1960's, while others believe that it may
be the French stamp from 1849 depicting Ceres, and yet others that it was
the British Penny Black.

In the bi-monthly publication "Topical Time" published by American Topical
Association, #334/2005, Column "Topical Postline", appears a letter to the
editor

"--- sent an inquiry to American Philatelic Research Library, asking for the
design source of France #1. The response states, "An explanation of the
design appears in James Mackay's book "An Illustrated History of Stamp
Design". France introduced stamps in January 1849, but instead of using the
portrait of a living person, [they] chose the profile of Ceres, goddess of
agriculture, in a circular frame with a rectangular border (Scott #1). The
head of Ceres was taken from ancient Greek coins, a logical source of
inspiration since coins and stamps were analogous in many respects".

" --- I am not sure whether this qualifies as being the earliest use of art
on stamps; I think this depends upon how one defines fine arts. The portrait
on the 1840 British Penny Black (Scott #1) was based on "The Guildhall Medal
of 1838" showing Wyon's profile of Queen Victoria. Might this not be
considered to be fine arts?"

What do other (art stamp) collectors think?
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old November 9th 05, 01:11 PM
Gerhard Reichert

Hi Mette,

every portrait on a stamp was made by an artist (painter, designer or what
ever), so every stamp needs a blueprint. Designing stamps is an act of art.

So the question should be specified, I think:

If You define "art on stamps" as reproduction of an existing painting or
sculpture to honore the artwork, then it is easy to look for the first stamp
issue honoring an artist or his work.

The Penny Black only honored Queen Victory as a living Majesty, not the
artwork of the designer of the portrait.

The same with the French Ceres. This picture was used as a symbol, not to
reproduce an antique artwork. So in my humble opinion it is not an example
for "art on stamps".

Itīs a problem of definition, I think.

Best regards

Gerhard

. ..

Old November 9th 05, 01:24 PM
Rodney

Hiya Mette,

Here is the Guildhall medal
http://cjoint.com/data/ljnroDtwht.htm

The jury is still out here, with a strong "no" to the portraits.

I would consider the first art concerning the post, not be on a stamp
but evidenced by the Mulready envelopes.

As for stamps, still pondering.

Rodney

rodney at touch88.com.au

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old November 9th 05, 01:25 PM
Rodney

BTW, Wyon cast his name in the neck
but cannot be seen on the scan

Old November 9th 05, 01:36 PM
Rodney

What about the Sardinian "Cavallini" impressed on
letter sheets of 1819 to 1836 ?
(riders with posthorn)

rodney at touch88.com.au

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old November 9th 05, 02:59 PM
amesh

"Gerhard Reichert" skrev i
en meddelelse ...
Hi Mette,

every portrait on a stamp was made by an artist (painter, designer or
what ever), so every stamp needs a blueprint. Designing stamps is an act
of art.

So the question should be specified, I think:

If You define "art on stamps" as reproduction of an existing painting or
sculpture to honore the artwork, then it is easy to look for the first
stamp issue honoring an artist or his work.

The Penny Black only honored Queen Victory as a living Majesty, not the
artwork of the designer of the portrait.

The same with the French Ceres. This picture was used as a symbol, not to
reproduce an antique artwork. So in my humble opinion it is not an example
for "art on stamps".

Itīs a problem of definition, I think.

Hi Gerhard,
Personally I think it is a question of definition. However, I could think of
a third definition: an artwork especially designed for the stamp format, and
which is not an already existing artwork reproduced on stamps. Such stamps
do exist, but they are not many. Out of the hat I can think of one
Hundertwasser-stamp, and 1-2 of the recent Danish art stamps.

I would like to hear other opinions :-)

Best regards
Mette

Old November 9th 05, 03:01 PM
amesh

"Rodney" skrev i en meddelelse

What about the Sardinian "Cavallini" impressed on
letter sheets of 1819 to 1836 ?
(riders with posthorn)

In my opinion they are just as symbolic as Queen Victoria and Ceres :-)

Mette

Old November 9th 05, 03:03 PM
amesh

"Rodney" skrev i en meddelelse

Hiya Mette,

Here is the Guildhall medal
http://cjoint.com/data/ljnroDtwht.htm

The jury is still out here, with a strong "no" to the portraits.

Hej Rodney,
Nice medal. She was quite attractive as young ... ;-)
Mette

Old November 9th 05, 03:59 PM
Victor Manta

"amesh" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Both of you think that it's a problem or question of definition. IMHO, it's
a matter of definition too. :-)

An old Romanian romance says:

....Because there isn't a man who hasn't written a poem
At least once, at least one, in his life.

If it's true, than the image of every man is related to art, in the same
manner as the image of Mark Twain on a stamp is related to literature.

On a more serious note, I have limited the object of my Art on Stamps Site
(link below) to: "... visual arts (painting, drawing, sculpting, pottery,
tapestry, enamel, etc.) as they appear on stamps."
I have included in the art on stamps database the stamps that meet the
following criteria:

a.. They should reproduce (pre-)existing works of art
b.. They should show real works of art (as for example opposed to banal
portraits, reproduced millions of times, like kings' or dictators' faces)
The only exception I have made is for the works of art designed by renown
artists, done with the purpose of being explicitly reproduced on stamps.

http://www.values.ch/db-en.htm
--
Victor Manta

Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old November 9th 05, 04:25 PM
amesh

"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse
"amesh" wrote in message
. ..
"Gerhard Reichert"
skrev i en meddelelse

- snip -

Both of you think that it's a problem or question of definition. IMHO,
it's a matter of definition too. :-)

An old Romanian romance says:

...Because there isn't a man who hasn't written a poem
At least once, at least one, in his life.

If it's true, than the image of every man is related to art, in the same
manner as the image of Mark Twain on a stamp is related to literature.

Yes, with the addition that literature is a part of art history in the sense
that anyone whose works are read globally, are included. My personal poems
would *never* qualify, I can assure you! :-)

On a more serious note, I have limited the object of my Art on Stamps Site
(link below) to: "... visual arts (painting, drawing, sculpting, pottery,
tapestry, enamel, etc.) as they appear on stamps."
I have included in the art on stamps database the stamps that meet the
following criteria:

A limitation that includes the rather vague "etc." ... ;-))

a.. They should reproduce (pre-)existing works of art

In that case both the Guildhall-medal and the Ceres head qualify.

b.. They should show real works of art (as for example opposed to banal
portraits, reproduced millions of times, like kings' or dictators' faces)
The only exception I have made is for the works of art designed by renown
artists, done with the purpose of being explicitly reproduced on stamps.

Thank you for your opinion.

Mette