They deserve a stamp

Old October 22nd 03, 07:45 PM
LN in DC

Bhutan's first stamps, fiscals issued in 1954 that became valid for
postage in early 1955, were usable on mail inside Bhutan, to India and
via China to India (I have about 60 such covers). I have photos of
covers from friends in the US who received covers with the
postal/fiscals affixed prior to 1960. From October 1962, on the day
Bhutan's first civil post office opened in Phunstsholing, mail bearing
it's stamps could go anywhere in the world. That a country joins the
UPU later doesn't change anything. UPU rules permits sponsor nations
to transmit mails of third parties not in the UPU. I have hundreds of
covers, including dozens sent to my own address here in the USA from
the days prior to Bhutan's having joined the UPU. No postage due was
EVER charged.

I have a letter from the PO Department Assist PM General stating that
the US accepts the mail of any country as long as that country accepts
the mail of the US. It wasn't until 1964 that Bhutan started to
accept registered mail from anywhere, and within a week, the USPO
began accepting registered mail to Bhutan, and that was before the
days of Bhutan's UPU membership.

By the way, anyone who wants to arrange bulk airmail mail to be sent
from Bhutan to anywhere in the world with some of those "invalid
stamps and souvenir sheets" affixed, and at rates lower than the cost
of a domestic letter within the US, write me.

Regards
L. Nadybal

On 19 Oct 2003 01:04:40 GMT,
(Dave Kent) wrote:

If I recall correctly, some of those fancy topical stamps from Bhutan surfaced
a while ago postally used on mail to the India department of education. Since
Bhutan did not belong to the UPU, India was the only country they could send
mail to. Topical collectors were snapping them up at $50.00 a throw and more.
Legitimate postal use like that made the covers suitable for a serious topical
exhibit.

Old October 23rd 03, 02:26 AM
Doug Spade

"Frank Emanuel" wrote in message

"TC" wrote in message
You forgot the rare ERROR varieties....
"unscratched and sniffed" and "scratched and unsniffed."

Each of which would require a certificate of authenticity from a certified
olfactory specialize philatelist.

:-)

Frank

Aha! The truth is out!
SNA= Superb Nasal Authority.

Mike

Old October 27th 03, 02:36 PM
Bob Ingraham

From: "Victor Manta"
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:25:20 +0200
Subject: She deserves a stamp

As for "...she deserves a stamp. Much more than a Communist anti-American
Mexican artist, clouds..", some nice clouds (and they can be very nice,
trust me, especially when seen in the mountains, from over 2000m) cannot be
compared to Ms. Kahlo. And anyway, her place isn't among them.
--
Victor Manta

A dissenting voice: I'm not sure why the U.S. chose to honor Rita Kahlo on a
stamp in lieu of other subjects, but it seems to me that r.c.s.d. posts
about her are often based on prejudice. It seems to me that Rita Kahlo was
no worse than many of the people who appear on stamps of every country,
including the United States, and was far better than some.

I am not an artist and I know little about art, but not long ago at the
Vancouver Art Gallery I saw a show of Kahlo's work. While much of it I would
not want hanging in my home (along with a lot of art from all ages and
painters), many of her paintings were powerful, very beautiful, and evoked
in me a great many feelings, most of which I can't even begin to put into
words.

The idea of walking in another's shoes is very important here. I don't think
many of us would enjoy a walk in Kahlo's shoes.

Kahlo's injuries from a streetcar accident that happened in her mid- or late
teens, as I recall, were appalling; it is miraculous that she did not die: a
steel rod penetrated her vagina and her uterus, and damaged her spine so
severely that was never again without pain, and was unable to have children.
She continued painting despite huge physical handicaps; her pain, anger,
fear, and regret -- and stoic acceptance -- are evident especially in her
striking self-portraits.

Her political beliefs are hardly surprising in the time and place where she
grew up; Mexico was mired in a class system that left the huge majority of
people without hope. To her credit, she recognized the need for change even
though she herself was a member of the upper class. Communism seemed to
offer a way out, as it did for a great many people in many nations,
including the United States, at that time. (It's useful to recall that
Hitler's first target was not German Jews, but Jewish Communists, who were
seen as a threat to his Third Reich. Later on, he also sent Jews and
homosexuals to the work camps and the gas chambers. Would Kahlo have been
better received in this newsgroup if she had been a Nazi? If she had lived
in Hitler's Germany instead of Mexico, would members of this group rejoice
if she had been "relocated" to the East because of her political beliefs and
sexual preferences?)

I believe that she has been criticized on this newsgroup for being bisexual.
Now there's a bucket of worms that should remain closed! If politically
"correct" sexual orientation and practice is going to become part of the
process of selecting subjects for stamps, or for choosing stamps for our
collections, then we've got a lot of stamps to eliminate from an
increasingly small philatelic universe.

Bob Ingraham

*

Old October 27th 03, 03:16 PM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

It's Frida Kahlo, not Rita.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY

Old October 27th 03, 03:27 PM
Bob Ingraham

From: Kaleb KEITHLEY
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:16:23 -0500

It's Frida Kahlo, not Rita.

Yeesh! I knew that! Didn't I? :^)

Bob

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY

Old October 27th 03, 03:55 PM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:36:47 GMT, Bob Ingraham

From: "Victor Manta"
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:25:20 +0200

[...]

Aren't some plants asexual? :^)

Anyway, I'm still waiting for a Matthew Brady stamp. Hmmpf.

Tracy Barber
Old October 27th 03, 09:22 PM
Victor Manta

Returning to the initial context, what I have said is that I doubt that
members of groups like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, etc. (that cannot appear
on stamps because we don't know if they won't do some bad things after the
issuing of those hypothetical stamps), could be ever equally or more
criminal than this woman.

The major problem with Frida Kahlo is that when Trotsky was murdered in
Mexico by a Stalin's agent, it's FK who facilitated this murder. This is a
largely know (and immoral - because criminal) fact, and nevertheless the US
issued a stamp of her.

Her sexual preferences, her affiliation to Communist party, her admiration
for Stalin, and later for Mao or the quality of her paintings, aren't
crimes, and, therefore, aren't IMO relevant in this context.

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

Old October 28th 03, 02:07 AM
Dave

I didn't mention any name.
Dave
From: "Victor Manta"
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:25:20 +0200

As for "...she deserves a stamp. Much more than a Communist

anti-American
Mexican artist, clouds..", some nice clouds (and they can be very nice,
trust me, especially when seen in the mountains, from over 2000m) cannot

be
compared to Ms. Kahlo. And anyway, her place isn't among them.
--
Victor Manta

A dissenting voice: I'm not sure why the U.S. chose to honor Rita Kahlo on

stamp in lieu of other subjects, snipped... sorry Bob

Old October 28th 03, 02:24 AM
Dave

From: "Victor Manta"
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:25:20 +0200
snippy snip snip!

for being bisexual. snipping like a maniac

Aren't some plants asexual? :^)

Plant come in all varieties. There are male & female plants. Male & female
flowers on the same plant and of course male and female parts within the
same flower. Ain't nature sumptin?