2004 Thomas Alva Edison Collector's Set

Old September 27th 04, 02:03 AM
Henry Mensch

Default 2004 Thomas Alva Edison Collector's Set

with all the chatter about the silly pouch sets i don't recall hearing
much about this set (which i just found on the usmint web site) ...
looks like a premium price for, basically, the edison commemorative in
a fancier package.

pilfered from the us mint website: "This unique product contains an
uncirculated Thomas Alva Edison commemorative Coin packaged in a fun
and informative presentation case highlighting Edison's many
accomplishments. A lightbulb illuminates when the presentation case is
opened. The product includes a coordinating sleeve and a Certificate
of Authenticity. Maximum production: 25,000." price for this item is
$49.95, which makes the funky new case worth $16.95.

comments?
--
# henry mensch / san francisco california
# http://www.henare.tk/

Old September 27th 04, 02:23 AM
Alan Williams

Henry Mensch wrote:

with all the chatter about the silly pouch sets i don't recall hearing
much about this set (which i just found on the usmint web site) ...
looks like a premium price for, basically, the edison commemorative in
a fancier package.

pilfered from the us mint website: "This unique product contains an
uncirculated Thomas Alva Edison commemorative Coin packaged in a fun
and informative presentation case highlighting Edison's many
accomplishments. A lightbulb illuminates when the presentation case is
opened. The product includes a coordinating sleeve and a Certificate
of Authenticity. Maximum production: 25,000." price for this item is
$49.95, which makes the funky new case worth $16.95.

comments?

Very Inventive. ;-)

Be sure to keep me apprised of the Mae West commemorative release.

Alan
'Is that a dollar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?'
Old September 27th 04, 07:55 AM
oepepper

I thought this was going to be a coin and currency set. After reading the
description, I realized it was the case they were selling. I felt the same
way about the Lewis and Clark coin and pouch set. You are paying for the
pouch. Nothing wrong this if you just can't live without them, but I can.
Best Regards, O.E.Pepper

Old September 27th 04, 05:43 PM
WinWinscenario

I felt the same
way about the Lewis and Clark coin and pouch set. You are paying for the
pouch.

One very significant improvement over the "pouch" coins is that they included
the more valuable UNC Edison instead of the more common PRF L+C. That has to
help.

Regards,
Tom
Old September 28th 04, 01:46 AM
Vector

Actually, the thought had crossed my mind about the power source for
the light. They don't give a clue. I'd assume it is an LED for low
current draw. But, shelf life, unused .. unopened even ... what could
be the max with, say, a lithium battery? Ten years?
Danger of damage from stored battery leakage? Did 'they' think this
through as a collectable, hmmm.
Even so, with a limit of 25,000 I am considering a purchase.
Am I nuts?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:40:24 -0400, RAV wrote:

That's where the mint REALLY makes it's profit on this set. Have you
seen their price for replacement batteries in original mint packaging?
;-)

Old September 28th 04, 06:49 AM
Henry Mensch

On 2004-09-27 17:46:14 -0700, Vector said:

Danger of damage from stored battery leakage?

this is what came to my mind ... i'm not sure i'd want to find that all
over stuff in my safe.