Rudyard Kipling on stamps from England or India?

Old December 6th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

Default Rudyard Kipling on stamps from England or India?

I was wondering whether England and/or India have issued any stamps
portraying Rudyard Kipling? I am not searching for stamps with
illustrations to his books (there are many around), only portraits.

I have searched Gibbons loosely around the 50th and 100th anniversaries of
his "data years" (birth 1865, death 1936, nobel prize 1907), but have only
found the Swedish Nobel Stamp 1967 + the new Monaco stamp listed for 2007
(which has appeared already; I have it on a commercially used cover
cancelled in Monaco 2006 !).

Any help would be appreciated.
Mette

Old December 7th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

In addition to the Swedish 1967 issue, Antigua/Barbuda 1995 (Nobel
prize), Paraguay 1977 (Nobel prize) and Central African Republic 1985
(International year of the Youth) show portrays of RK.

Klaus

Old December 7th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Mette wrote:
I was wondering whether England and/or India have issued any stamps
portraying Rudyard Kipling? I am not searching for stamps with
illustrations to his books (there are many around), only portraits.

I have searched Gibbons loosely around the 50th and 100th anniversaries of
his "data years" (birth 1865, death 1936, nobel prize 1907), but have only
found the Swedish Nobel Stamp 1967 + the new Monaco stamp listed for 2007
(which has appeared already; I have it on a commercially used cover
cancelled in Monaco 2006 !).

Any help would be appreciated.
Mette

Not exactly, but here is an interesting one,

The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canada Post stamp commemorating the 75th anniversary
of the Ritual. Issued on April 25, 2000. Canada Post stamp
set commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Ritual.
Issued on April 25, 2000.The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer
(or Kipling Ritual, or Iron Ring Ceremony) is a ritual dating from
1922 for students about to graduate from an engineering program
at a Canadian university. Honourary inclusion is also offered to
any Canadian registered professional engineer who has received
her or his training elsewhere. The ritual was created by Rudyard
Kipling at the request of an organization comprised of seven
past-presidents of the Engineering Institute of Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:R...amp_ 2000.JPG

The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer, or the iron ring ceremony
as it's commonly known, has a history dating back to 1922 at a
meeting of engineers in Montreal.

One of the speakers was U of T civil engineering professor Herbert
Haultain. He felt that an organization was needed to bind all
members of the engineering profession in Canada more closely
together. He also felt that a statement of ethics to which a young
engineering graduate could subscribe should be developed.

Haultain wrote to renowned poet Rudyard Kipling, who had made
reference to the work of engineers in some of his poems and
writings, and asked for his assistance. Kipling soon produced
both an obligation -- an oath of professional standards and honour
-- and a ceremony formally entitled The Ritual of the Calling
of an Engineer.

From the net 2006-08-31

rudyard kipling signature and related ephemera

I have a letter typed and signed by Rudyard Kipling, dated
Oct 24, 1924. Envelope hand addressed by Kipling, stamped
with a three halfpence stamp and postmarked London, W. I.,
1924 A. Oct 24, 1:15 p.m. Addressed to James Brown Esq.,
Brown & Brown, Chamberlain, South Dakota, U.S. America.
Return address is simply, Kipling "Song of French Roads."

Letter thanks Mr. Brown for sending him a copy of "The
Roads of South Dakota," which was written by M.A. Brown
for the Tenth Annual Meeting of the State Association of
County commissioners at Chamberlain, S. D., September 30,
October 1, 2, 1924. Added is: "apologies to Rudyard Kipling....
"A Song of French Roads."

Letter is typed on stationery from Brown's Hotel, London W. I.
[Dover St & Albermarle St]. Hotel seal in upper lefty corner.
Letter reads as follows, including typos:

"Dear Mr Brown, Many thanks for your courtes[y] in thinking
to send me a copy of "The Roads of South Dakota." The verses
have a certain private interest for me because--more years ago
than I careto think of---I had a little experience of Dakota Roads,
in a buck-board, with a king-bolt that was no better then it should
have been. We said a lot, but we didn't sing about them to any
publishable extent. All of which shows that "the world do move."
Very sincerely yours [Rudyard Kipling's signature]"

Newspaper clipping pasted on back of letter relates how careful
Kipling was in seeing that all his manuscripts were returned to him,
whether typed or otherwise. He was aware of the commercial value
attached to his handwriting and did not scatter it around
promiscuously. This letter has his signature two times, plus an
entire handwritten address on an envelope.

Included is a copy of 'The Roads of South Dakota," which is the
poem Brown sent to Kipling.

Finally, there are references to stamps in his works.

In chapters six and seven of Rudyard Kipling's book "Kim".
(Kim goes to a letter writer)

To top things off there is his story of the philatelist butterfly,
"The Butterfly that Stamped". d8*)
http://www.simongrant.org/kipling/butterfly.html

Blair

Old December 7th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

Thank you very much, Klaus and Blair. They are all interesting and worth
looking for in the context.
I never really connected the Canadian stamp (which I have) with Kipling, so
I have kept the write-up for later use :-)

FWIW, here is a scan of the new Monaco-stamp
http://cjoint.com/data/mhoXM2gDtC.htm

The word "If..." in the lower right corner refers naturally to his poem of
the same name:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated :-)
Mette

--------------------------

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...

Mette wrote:
I was wondering whether England and/or India have issued any stamps
portraying Rudyard Kipling? I am not searching for stamps with
illustrations to his books (there are many around), only portraits.

I have searched Gibbons loosely around the 50th and 100th anniversaries
of
his "data years" (birth 1865, death 1936, nobel prize 1907), but have
only
found the Swedish Nobel Stamp 1967 + the new Monaco stamp listed for 2007
(which has appeared already; I have it on a commercially used cover
cancelled in Monaco 2006 !).

Any help would be appreciated.
Mette

Not exactly, but here is an interesting one,

The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[...]

From the net 2006-08-31

Old December 7th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

Mette asked :
I was wondering whether England and/or India have issued
any stamps portraying Rudyard Kipling? I am not
searching for stamps with illustrations to his books
(there are many around), only portraits.

I have searched Gibbons loosely around the 50th and 100th
anniversaries of his "data years" (birth 1865, death
1936, nobel prize 1907), but have only found the Swedish
Nobel Stamp 1967 + the new Monaco stamp listed for 2007
(which has appeared already; I have it on a commercially
used cover cancelled in Monaco 2006 !).

Any help would be appreciated.
Mette

A very nice (!) one, even if not from where you wish.
http://home.comcast.net/~libri/K/Kipling.html

--
Cordialement,
Bruno
Old December 7th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"bc92" skrev i en meddelelse
Mette asked :
I was wondering whether England and/or India have issued
any stamps portraying Rudyard Kipling? I am not
searching for stamps with illustrations to his books
(there are many around), only portraits. I have searched Gibbons loosely
around the 50th and 100th
anniversaries of his "data years" (birth 1865, death
1936, nobel prize 1907), but have only found the Swedish
Nobel Stamp 1967 + the new Monaco stamp listed for 2007
(which has appeared already; I have it on a commercially
used cover cancelled in Monaco 2006 !). Any help would be appreciated.
Mette

A very nice (!) one, even if not from where you wish.
http://home.comcast.net/~libri/K/Kipling.html

Thank you Bruno :-) It is indeed a very nice one. In the beginning I had
focus only on England (his nationality) and India (his birthplace).

And what a wonderful resource! I have bookmarked it for further references,
as it will come in useful now and then ;-)

Mette

Old December 8th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

side profile of Kipling on
Congo 2001 Personalities of the 20th Century
perf sheetlet #07 containing 6 values
(Nietzsche, Kipling, Mahler, Thomas Mann, Jack London & Matisse)
HTH

oups.com...

Old December 8th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Rod" skrev i en meddelelse
side profile of Kipling on
Congo 2001 Personalities of the 20th Century
perf sheetlet #07 containing 6 values
(Nietzsche, Kipling, Mahler, Thomas Mann, Jack London & Matisse)
HTH

Thanks Rod. A few posts further down in this thread you will find an image
of the stamp, sent by Bruno in France.
Mette

oups.com...

Old December 8th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Thanks Rod. A few posts further down in this thread you will find an image
of the stamp, sent by Bruno in France.
Mette

Darn! my server didn't supply the post,
I'll check it through Google.
IIRC I have the Central African Empire issue
should you need a clearer scan.
Rod.

Old December 8th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Thanks Rod. A few posts further down in this thread you will find an image
of the stamp, sent by Bruno in France.
Mette

Ah! mais non.
Bruno's from CEA, mine from the Congo.
http://cjoint.com/data/miwQDhV7A8.htm

("stamp" is loosely coined here
I was looking for a stamp with a Russian Wolfhound (Borzoi)
the other day, and one link "Dogs on stamps" had around
7 or so countries I had never heard of before.
Goodness gracious.