Iran to change currency value

Old August 29th 05, 04:32 PM
stonej

Default Iran to change currency value

http://www.finance24.com/articles/ec...8-1785_1761504

Old August 29th 05, 06:34 PM
Bob Flaminio

stonej wrote:
http://www.finance24.com/articles/ec...8-1785_1761504

Does this mean they're not going to nuke us now?

--
Bob

Old August 29th 05, 07:12 PM
A.E. Gelat

Will they take the opportunity to introduce a new toman, worth 100 old ones?
This will make the new toman worth 11 cents, of nine tomans to the US
dollar, or 7.5 (+/-) euros.

Tony

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.finance24.com/articles/ec...8-1785_1761504

Old August 29th 05, 09:06 PM
stonej

I would like to see them concentrate
on more mundane things like this and
forget about their nuclear program.

Old August 29th 05, 09:41 PM
Mike Marotta

stonej wrote:
I would like to see them concentrate
on more mundane things like this and
forget about their nuclear program.

That program being just one of the many similar reasons for the decline
of the rial, of course.

How much did it cost the government of Iran to hang on to that oil rich
Khuzestan region, which was part of "Persia" only by default -- and "de
fault" is with the Versailles Treaty (of course) which carved up the
old Ottoman Empire, but failed to acknowledge Khuzestan, Kurdistan, and
half a dozen other places that people still fight about. Balkanizaton
would have been a blessing.

Well, that did not happen.

So, we have these greater glory of the greater state people greatly
building and using weapons which produce no income. And they wonder
why their currencies are weak.

But hey, who remembers gas at 24.9? The dollar is only sliding
somewhat less quickly.

I always thought that gold would make a good form of money. It is rare,
but not excessively so. It is durable, homogenous, malleable, easy to
test for. I think the world could use a good, stable currency that is
independent of politics, but, hey, I am just a coin guy.

Old August 29th 05, 09:55 PM
Bob Flaminio

Mike Marotta wrote:
I always thought that gold would make a good form of money. It is
rare, but not excessively so. It is durable, homogenous, malleable,
easy to test for. I think the world could use a good, stable
currency that is independent of politics, but, hey, I am just a coin
guy.

And just how is gold independent of politics?

--
Bob

Old August 30th 05, 02:57 AM
John Carney

"Mike Marotta" wrote

I always thought that gold would make a good form of money. It is rare,
but not excessively so. It is durable, homogenous, malleable, easy to
test for. I think the world could use a good, stable currency that is
independent of politics, but, hey, I am just a coin guy.

Mike, there's a reason that all of the First World countries run their
currencies/economies by a central bank/fiat currency system. It works, it
allows for growth and it smooths out the business cycle somewhat. I've read
much of what the gold bugs say and while I have some metals as part of my
diversified portfolio, I think most of their ideas are narrow-minded and
wrong.

John

Old September 2nd 05, 01:07 AM
robert underhill

In article .com,
"Mike Marotta" wrote:

stonej wrote:
I would like to see them concentrate
on more mundane things like this and
forget about their nuclear program.

That program being just one of the many similar reasons for the decline
of the rial, of course.

How much did it cost the government of Iran to hang on to that oil rich
Khuzestan region, which was part of "Persia" only by default -- and "de
fault" is with the Versailles Treaty (of course) which carved up the
old Ottoman Empire, but failed to acknowledge Khuzestan, Kurdistan, and
half a dozen other places that people still fight about. Balkanizaton
would have been a blessing.

Khuzestan was never part of the Ottoman Empire. It has been part of
Persia, or Iran, since prehistory, despite sporadic Arab invasions and a
large Arabic population. Kurdistan has a valid claim to be a country,
but not Khuzestan.

--
Bob Underhill
Delete everything in CAPS to reply by email