The Dr. Maya Angelou Stamp Blunder, by USPS

Old April 26th 15, 11:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default The Dr. Maya Angelou Stamp Blunder, by USPS

The stamp collectors still remember the Statue of Liberty blunder of the
USPS, a forever coil stamp issued Dec. 1, 2010 in billions of copies. On the
page Viva Las Vegas
(http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...as-liberty.htm) I
largely commented then on the Las Vegas replica that replaced on the stamp
the famous New York City harbor original.

Celebrating the Art on Stamps, USPS erred again on a new forever stamp that
was issued April 7, 2015 to honor the memory of the author Dr. Maya Angelou.
The phrase quoted on the stamp ("A bird doesn't sing because it has an
answer, it sings because it has a song.") was misattributed. It actually
appears on page 15 in the book "A Cup of Sun," by Joan Walsh Anglund,
copyrighted 1967.

You can find out more about this stamp and about the celebrated author from
the press excerpts that were recently published on the web, and which I
compiled on my new page. I was rather amazed by the plethora of Dr. Maya
Angelou's talents, the extent of the stamp issue celebrations and the high
profile of falsely quoting personalities, things that I learned about from
these excerpts.

Last but not least, I present toward the end of the page a SNA stamp that
correctly quotes from Dr. Maya Angelou.

More he
http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...mp-blunder.htm

--
Victor Manta, PWO

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old May 1st 15, 08:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

"Victor Manta" wrote :

The stamp collectors still remember the Statue of Liberty blunder of
the USPS, a forever coil stamp issued Dec. 1, 2010 in billions of
copies. On the page Viva Las Vegas
(http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...as-liberty.htm)
I largely commented then on the Las Vegas replica that replaced on the
stamp the famous New York City harbor original.

He he he !
Thank you Victor for rememberig us this nice page !
At the bottom of it, I noticed a quotation of what I wrote at that time.
I totally forgot this but it is still valid ;-)

|| Thanks for this update : thus I re-visited your excellent page.
|| Bravo ! Apparently, the USPS is going to "diabolically perseverate"
|| ... forever (Pierre)

Celebrating the Art on Stamps, USPS erred again on a new forever stamp
that was issued April 7, 2015 to honor the memory of the author Dr.
Maya Angelou. The phrase quoted on the stamp ("A bird doesn't sing
because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.") was
misattributed. It actually appears on page 15 in the book "A Cup of
Sun," by Joan Walsh Anglund, copyrighted 1967.

You can find out more about this stamp and about the celebrated author
from the press excerpts that were recently published on the web, and
which I compiled on my new page. I was rather amazed by the plethora
of Dr. Maya Angelou's talents, the extent of the stamp issue
celebrations and the high profile of falsely quoting personalities,
things that I learned about from these excerpts.

Last but not least, I present toward the end of the page a SNA stamp
that correctly quotes from Dr. Maya Angelou.

More he
http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...mp-blunder.htm

Many thanks, Victor for this beatiful SNA stamp showing Dr. Maya Angelou
as a dreamy lady (younger than on the USPS stamp).

Viva SNA !

BTW how many readers of rcsd are now aware of SNA and its legendary
saga ?

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old May 1st 15, 03:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default [SNA] The Dr. Maya Angelou Stamp Blunder, by USPS

"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote in message
"Victor Manta" wrote :

The stamp collectors still remember the Statue of Liberty blunder of
the USPS, a forever coil stamp issued Dec. 1, 2010 in billions of
copies. On the page Viva Las Vegas
(http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...as-liberty.htm)
I largely commented then on the Las Vegas replica that replaced on the
stamp the famous New York City harbor original.

He he he !
Thank you Victor for rememberig us this nice page !
At the bottom of it, I noticed a quotation of what I wrote at that time.
I totally forgot this but it is still valid ;-)

|| Thanks for this update : thus I re-visited your excellent page.
|| Bravo ! Apparently, the USPS is going to "diabolically perseverate"
|| ... forever (Pierre)

Celebrating the Art on Stamps, USPS erred again on a new forever stamp
that was issued April 7, 2015 to honor the memory of the author Dr.
Maya Angelou. The phrase quoted on the stamp ("A bird doesn't sing
because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.") was
misattributed. It actually appears on page 15 in the book "A Cup of
Sun," by Joan Walsh Anglund, copyrighted 1967.

You can find out more about this stamp and about the celebrated author
from the press excerpts that were recently published on the web, and
which I compiled on my new page. I was rather amazed by the plethora
of Dr. Maya Angelou's talents, the extent of the stamp issue
celebrations and the high profile of falsely quoting personalities,
things that I learned about from these excerpts.

Last but not least, I present toward the end of the page a SNA stamp
that correctly quotes from Dr. Maya Angelou.

More he
http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...mp-blunder.htm

Many thanks, Victor for this beatiful SNA stamp showing Dr. Maya Angelou
as a dreamy lady (younger than on the USPS stamp).

Viva SNA !

BTW how many readers of rcsd are now aware of SNA and its legendary
saga ?

Pierre,

I'm glad that you liked the latest SNA stamp issue. I try to rephrase your
saying for this very stamp as follows:

- Apparently, the USPS is going to "diabolically perseverate" ... eternally.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the permanents remember our SNA, mainly
because there are so few of them here.

--
Victor Manta, SHNAPS (Spanish North Africa Philatelic Services)