Are Sacajaweas still being minted for general circulation?

Old July 5th 16, 08:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

Default Are Sacajaweas still being minted for general circulation?

Or are the new Sacajaweas being minted only for collectors?

Barney
Old July 5th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oepepper[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 12:01:09 AM UTC-7, Barney wrote:
Or are the new Sacajaweas being minted only for collectors?

Barney

Starting in 2009 the reverse changed each year and beginning in 2011 all dollar coins are only available through numismatic sales from the mint in bags, rolls or other mint products. The Federal Reserve vaults are full of bags of dollar coins that are not circulating, so they stopped distributing the coins thru the banking system.
Old July 6th 16, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

oepepper wrote in
:

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 12:01:09 AM UTC-7, Barney wrote:
Or are the new Sacajaweas being minted only for collectors?

Barney

Starting in 2009 the reverse changed each year and beginning in 2011
all dollar coins are only available through numismatic sales from the
mint in bags, rolls or other mint products. The Federal Reserve vaults
are full of bags of dollar coins that are not circulating, so they
stopped distributing the coins thru the banking system.

Ok, that's interesting. I thought it was only the presidential dollars not
being distributed through the bank.

Of course I can only assume if a local vault service runs out of their
supply of dollar coins, they would then be obligated to order more from the
Federal Reserve? Or is a vault service not required to supply certain coin
denominations if it does not wish to do so? I'm asking because my local
bank told me their vault service was starting to run out of dollar coins.

Thanks,
Old July 7th 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oepepper[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 4:39:45 PM UTC-7, Barney wrote:
oepepper wrote in
:

[...]

According to the Redbook, all dollars minted after 2011, Presidential and Native American, were only issued through mint offerings. If your local bank orders dollars from the Federal reserve they will get only the older dates they have on hand. If they run out, which is unlikely, they probably will not ship any more dollars to the banks, unless the paper dollar is eliminated and only 2 dollar bills printed, I don't see dollar coins being used much. This year also will mark the end of the Presidential series as the program has caught up with the, still with us, presidents.
On another subject regarding the America The Beautiful quarters: Beginning in 2012, the mint began striking uncirculated quarters at the San Francisco mint. These coins are sold only through direct mint sales and not distributed through the banking system like the Philadelphia and Denver issues. Most of these coins will be low mintage issues when compared to the numbers struck for actual use in circulation. Whether or not they increase in value or not, they won't be readily available from circulation for those wanting a complete date and mint set of the series.

ecu 1729 minted Rouen frere cadfael Coins 0 May 9th 07 10:35 PM
RM1 coin first minted in 1989 stonej Coins 0 September 8th 05 10:26 AM
New Penny to be minted....... Marcus Valdes Coins 6 May 8th 05 02:14 AM
no coins minted questions Joe Coins 9 February 13th 05 02:18 AM
FA: 3 MS Morgans minted in New Orleans 83 84 85 Bill Krummel Coins 0 August 6th 04 04:30 AM