Perfin ID, New-York, 1927

Old July 7th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

Default Perfin ID, New-York, 1927

Hello there. A small perfin question :

http://www.cijoint.fr/cj200907/cija4fjm21.jpg

Who would decipher this perf on a US 2 cents stamp ?

The date is nov 1927, the stamp is on an American Express Co. cover
from France to the US, and has probably been put on the letter in
New-York. The mechanical cancel is Hudson Terminal Station, NY

The full cover, front (no spécific indication on the other side) :
http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?fil...cijfjfQnYq.jpg

This is beeing discussed on the french philately group
(fr.rec.philatelie), re. no french cancel, the french stamp (1,50 FF)
is at the right UPU rate, so the cover was probably in a passenger
pocket (RMS Mauretania, Southampton to NY) and only entered the postal
service in NY with a fresh stamp.

Any suggestion is welcome, but the perfin origin is the question.

Best regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old July 8th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Perfin slanting upwards towards rhs.
something like
CC
CS?
I have nothing like it in my collection.

Illustrates the necessity of a good scanner / scan
blind perfs can be identified,
not on this scan however.

Old July 8th 09, 01:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

"rodney" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Perfin slanting upwards towards rhs.
something like
CC
CS?
I have nothing like it in my collection.

Illustrates the necessity of a good scanner / scan
blind perfs can be identified,
not on this scan however.

snip

Hi Rodney,

try this please:

save the stamp picture on Your PC.

use xnview or any other software to pull out the red colour.

print the new picture as large as possible with Your printer.

Then fill the punched holes with black ink and You will see, that there is a
pattern.

kind regards

Gerhard

Old July 8th 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

G'day Gerhard,
Blustery biting Brrrrrr's in Bavaria?

That's what I did straight away,
I usually use chrome yellow for the punctures.
Here it is in black
http://cjoint.com/data/hioNL0iwpP.htm

Can you see something I cannot?

I am wondering if you see a design rather than text.
Rodney

"Gerhard Reichert"

Old July 8th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

The full cover, front (no sp�cific indication on the other side) :http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?fil...cijfjfQnYq.jpg

This is beeing discussed on the french philately group
(fr.rec.philatelie), re. no french cancel, the french stamp (1,50 FF)
is at the right UPU rate, so the cover was probably in a passenger
pocket (RMS Mauretania, Southampton to NY) and only entered the postal
service in NY with a fresh stamp.

Any suggestion is welcome, but the perfin origin is the question.

Best regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

This was quite a puzzle but I think I have identified the perfins
pattern as an inverted CSS/Co - that used by the Cunard Steam Ship
Company of New York. While I cannot state for certain, it appears that
the cover was posted very late and probably was placed in the mailbag
for the ship without being cancelled. In processing the mails, the on
board mail clerk noted the missed cancel and added a Cunard stamp
which was then cancelled in New York after the mails were offloaded.
Old July 8th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

Hello there. A small perfin question :

http://www.cijoint.fr/cj200907/cija4fjm21.jpg

This was quite a puzzle but I think I have identified the perfins
pattern as an inverted CSS/Co

Well, Rroy, that seems quite a good proposition !
Many thanks to you, and to Rodeny and Gerhard.

Best regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old July 8th 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

bc92 a wrote :

Many thanks to you, and to Rodeny and Gerhard.

Rodney, sorry for the typo.

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old July 8th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Alain QUESNEL

Hello
First, excuse my poor english.
Is that 2 cents is the standard rate in U.S. domestic rate? (For New-
york to San Francisco)
Best regards
Alain

Old July 9th 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Bravo, if you are correct
I note Cunard has also a perfin C/ssCo
although I cannot locate images.

Old July 9th 09, 05:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 8 juil, 19:28, bc92 wrote:

bc92 a wrote :

Many thanks to you, and to Rodeny and Gerhard.

Rodney, sorry for the typo.

--
Cordialement,
Bruno- Hide quoted text -

The U.S. domestic first class letter rate was reduced from the War
emergency rate of 3 cents per ounce to 2 cents per ounce on 1 July
1919, and this rate remained in effect until 6 July 1932.

Belgium Perfin help Tony Vella General Discussion 19 November 29th 08 06:47 AM
Denmark perfin Tony Vella General Discussion 4 June 28th 07 01:07 PM
The After Soak and CMB Perfin seen Smith General Discussion 0 January 1st 07 09:10 PM
Perfin Edwin Chan General Discussion 5 November 14th 05 01:09 PM
Perfin or Perfin Mites? Rodney General Discussion 14 February 28th 05 01:01 PM