OT Question for RF

Old February 16th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default OT Question for RF

Bruce Remick wrote:
"RWF" wrote in message

RWF wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
There was a fellow who had scads of Hardy Boys (in tan-colored
hard covers) out at the flea market today. My guess is that they
were vintage 1946-1955. When I got around to reading the H.B. in
the late 1960s, the covers were illustrated in color.

I've never followed these things. Is there any thing in that
vintage of H.B. that one should look for? The seller wanted
$2.50 each, probably could have bought the lot for less than that
per copy.

Tan covered books without dust jackets are practically worthless.

As a bibliophile, I share the phobia about antiquarian books that
lack dj. But why is this? Numismatists have their cleaning issues,
but why do book collectors often pay more for a dj than for the
book itself? There's gotta be some deep, philosophical,
psychological cause. 'Splain that one, if you can.

Why do people pay thru the nose for DJs?

Probably they're mostly purists who insist on their edition being as
issued. Like registry set collectors. I can understand when I see
penny bubble gum card wrappers from the 1940's and 1950's selling for
hundreds of dollars. If I had saved all the discarded wrappers from
the cards I bought in the 1940's alone, I could finance Ira on a coin
buying spree today. I remember the owner of the little store where
we bought our cards yelling at us not to throw all those wrappers on
the ground outside his store.

The fact that we showed such disdain for them then contributes to their
rarity today. Why we care today about Bazooka Joe and Pud cartoons printed
on wax paper is another issue entirely.

James

Old February 16th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
[...]

In the realm of juvenile book collecting, finding books with decent
DJs is not so simple given their initial target audience.
The attrition rate among juvenile book djs is truly appalling.
As in coin collecting, condition is everything (well almost
everything). Furthermore the DJ is critical in dating the publication
year of the book (they were reprinted for years on end).
Witness the Hardy Boys: they've been in print continuously since
1927.
Nancy Drew likewise since 1930.
Early first editions with DJs are extremely valuable, going into the
mid to upper 4 figure range.
OTOH common 1950's editions with decent DJs are lucky to sell at all
on eBay.
Why do people collect juvenile series books? In part it may be an
effort to recapture pleasant moments from youth.

Or efface bad moments from youth.

Yeah, that all makes sense, but I would think that a lot of people my
(our?) age would view 1950s editions with dj as highly desirable.
Very few of us could have afforded to put a complete set together back
then, and only now do we have the ability to do so (maybe), for a
variety of reasons.

A friend of mine has the complete series of Tom Swift books, and he's
in ecstasy about it. I have no idea what vintage, or the dj
situation, but I'd guess there are more guys around like him.

Would I be correct in guessing that those early editions under dj
normally sell for more than any "price guides" might indicate?

The accepted price guides for Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew are fairly
accurate.
1950s DJ editions are fairly common - the 50's was the golden age of
series books in terms of production ergo there are more copies extant.

Old February 16th 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
[...]

Still, I bet you don't just slap a nice set together by going to the monthly
flea market. It'd sure impress the socks off me, all lined up on a
bookshelf, even if they had no market value at all. Sort of like a circ set
of Lincolns from 1941 forward.

James

Old February 16th 09, 05:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "RWF" wrote:

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
[...]

what about the war time editions that have turnd yellow becuase of the crappy
papers?
Old February 16th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
[...]

I have two Tom Swift books and a few others from the 1960's, I love the dust
jacket illustrations and would not buy a book without a DJ. Billy

Old February 16th 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

note.boy wrote:
RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
[...]

DJs are like frosting on the cake, and I, for one, love frosting.

James

Old February 17th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"note.boy" wrote in message
I have two Tom Swift books and a few others from the 1960's, I love
the dust jacket illustrations and would not buy a book without a DJ.
Billy

The artwork of the Tom Swift Jr. series is great, as is the full color
cover art of the original Tom Swift series.
BTW: The Swift Jr. cover art is also on the "picture cover" books that
followed the DJ editions in 1962.

Question [email protected] Coins 0 June 28th 06 05:33 PM
question Joe Autographs 0 January 23rd 06 03:06 AM
Order a Pair and they will change you and who knows what might happen maybe something that should have happened years ago dont question it just do it and then question it because nothing "happens" or "changes" until "we do something" David Goldstein Hockey 0 February 24th 05 03:14 PM
Question regarding eBay Ask Seller a Question James Higby Coins 4 November 21st 04 01:02 AM
New guy with a question Funny Looking Coins 2 January 22nd 04 05:09 PM