Opinions on cashing out some silver

Old February 11th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Opinions on cashing out some silver

Okay... I have made arrangements to sell my small cache of silver for
10x face for the pre-1965 coins and 4x for the 40% Kennedys. I have
worked out that the break-even point for the silver is $13.82, as as I
write this, the price is $13.57. What is the opinion of "all y'all"
about such a sale: would you make the deal, would you hold on for
silver to hit $22 again. I am not in a position that I need to sell
the coins: just looking to turn it into "working capital" for
obtaining rolls to search or to buy other coins to work on my various
collections.

Thoughts?
Les
Old February 11th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_5_]

wrote:
Okay... I have made arrangements to sell my small cache of silver for
10x face for the pre-1965 coins and 4x for the 40% Kennedys. I have
worked out that the break-even point for the silver is $13.82, as as I
write this, the price is $13.57. What is the opinion of "all y'all"
about such a sale: would you make the deal, would you hold on for
silver to hit $22 again. I am not in a position that I need to sell
the coins: just looking to turn it into "working capital" for
obtaining rolls to search or to buy other coins to work on my various
collections.

Thoughts?
Les

Depending on what the economy does the silver could increase in value
soon and maybe a bunch. If it were me I would hold it until I needed the
money. However it is up to you if the enjoyment of getting rolls now is
worth the gamble of waiting. In another thread it is mentioned that
Coinstar is receiving more coins from cookie jars and sock drawers so
waiting for those coins to start reappearing may be a good thing too.

George D
Old February 11th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

" wrote in message
Okay... I have made arrangements to sell my small cache of silver for
10x face for the pre-1965 coins and 4x for the 40% Kennedys. I have
worked out that the break-even point for the silver is $13.82, as as I
write this, the price is $13.57. What is the opinion of "all y'all"
about such a sale: would you make the deal, would you hold on for
silver to hit $22 again. I am not in a position that I need to sell
the coins: just looking to turn it into "working capital" for
obtaining rolls to search or to buy other coins to work on my various
collections.

Thoughts?
Les

I think silver could see $20/oz this year given the inflationary nature
of the so-called stimulus plan.

Old February 12th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 11, 4:46*pm, "RWF" wrote:
" wrote in message

Okay... I have made arrangements to sell my small cache of silver for
10x face for the pre-1965 coins and 4x for the 40% Kennedys. *I have
worked out that the break-even point for the silver is $13.82, as as I
write this, the price is $13.57. *What is the opinion of "all y'all"
about such a sale: would you make the deal, would you hold on for
silver to hit $22 again. *I am not in a position that I need to sell
the coins: just looking to turn it into "working capital" for
obtaining rolls to search or to buy other coins to work on my various
collections.

Thoughts?
Les

I think silver could see $20/oz this year given the inflationary nature
of the so-called stimulus plan.

I must agree with RF that the crap coming out of Washington will be
very inflationary. With a Democratic President and Democratic
Congress for the first time since James Earl Carter, Jr., it is now
Christmas morning for the Democrats. As for myself, I am clutching
very tightly to my PMs and adding more whenever possible.

oly
Old February 12th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Feb 11, 7:37*pm, oly wrote:
On Feb 11, 4:46*pm, "RWF" wrote:

" wrote in message

[...]

oly- Hide quoted text -

A point that might be worth considering is how much you have in
precious metal, versus other liquid assets and how much cash you might
need. I agree with all the optimism about silver, but I wouldn't have
the foggiest idea when silver would make a big more (or which
direction the next one would be). It would be a shame for silver to
drop in value, just when you need cash.
Old February 12th 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Donald Weber

Didn't Willy have a Dem Senate and House for 1993 & 1994?

Old February 12th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 11, 11:48*pm, "Donald Weber" wrote:
Didn't Willy have a Dem Senate and House for 1993 & 1994?

You are correct, according to Wikipedia. That doesn't much negate my
"it's now Christmas Morning in Washington D.C." observation.

oly
Old February 12th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Johnny Doe

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:22:42 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

Okay... I have made arrangements to sell my small cache of silver for
10x face for the pre-1965 coins and 4x for the 40% Kennedys. I have
worked out that the break-even point for the silver is $13.82, as as I
write this, the price is $13.57. What is the opinion of "all y'all"
about such a sale: would you make the deal, would you hold on for
silver to hit $22 again. I am not in a position that I need to sell
the coins: just looking to turn it into "working capital" for
obtaining rolls to search or to buy other coins to work on my various
collections.

Thoughts?
Les

Sure, the big question is, what is pushing you to consider selling at
$13 / oz that wasn't there when silver hit $20? If that reason
(whatever it is) is compelling, go ahead and sell. Otherwise, feel
free to continue holding for $20 again (or $5, as the case may be).
Old February 12th 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"oly" wrote in message

I think silver could see $20/oz this year given the inflationary nature
of the so-called stimulus plan.

I must agree with RF that the crap coming out of Washington will be
very inflationary. With a Democratic President and Democratic
Congress for the first time since James Earl Carter, Jr., it is now
Christmas morning for the Democrats. As for myself, I am clutching
very tightly to my PMs and adding more whenever possible.

Considering the wonderful job the Republicans have done if your doom and
gloom is true then it is already hopeless.

Old February 12th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 12, 12:09*pm, "PC" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

I think silver could see $20/oz this year given the inflationary nature
of the so-called stimulus plan.

I must agree with RF that the crap coming out of Washington will be
very inflationary. *With a Democratic President and Democratic
Congress for the first time since James Earl Carter, Jr., it is now
Christmas morning for the Democrats. *As for myself, I am clutching
very tightly to my PMs and adding more whenever possible.

Considering the wonderful job the Republicans have done if your doom and
gloom is true then it is already hopeless.

Again, optimism is the mania for declaring all is well, when all is
going very badly. And, it is the Democorps that is lined up at the
trough now.

oly

Cashing in on the hype PC[_2_] Coins 22 March 16th 07 04:57 AM
Opinions Wanted 1992 Silver Eagle with Toning Tina Coins 6 May 31st 06 11:45 AM
opinions. advice sought on the value of silver melt value....... Gary Loveless Coins 5 October 2nd 05 11:38 PM
Collectors cashing in on numismatic hobby stonej Coins 1 July 16th 05 04:45 PM
Yet another old woman cashing in silver for face story.. Harv Coins 2 August 9th 03 06:06 AM