Franking question

Old June 12th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
nomilk

Default Franking question

I have a letter written in November of 1844, posted from Washington,
D.C., with a franked signature that appears to include the last name
"Benjamin" (with first initial "R" or "P" or "J" or "S"--difficult to
tell). The author of the letter is a young woman (her signed name,
perhaps a nickname, is indecipherable) but from the internal evidence
of the letter my guess is that she was the daughter of a high-ranking
naval officer or other official involved with the Navy. My
understanding (open to correction) is that naval officers and other
government officials had fairly wide franking privileges.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to identify a contemporaneous
naval officer with the last name of "Benjamin."

Hoping that this is not too far off topic, but can anyone point me to
resources on franking, particularly some that might help me identify
who franked the letter (and ultimately who was the author of the
letter)?

nomilk

Old June 12th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jun 12, 12:18 pm, nomilk wrote:
[...]

Posting a hi-res scan would be useful.

Could it be Benjamin F. Isherwood

Benjamin (6 October 1822 - 19 June 1915) was an engineering officer
in the United States Navy during the early days of steam-powered
warships. He rose to thr rank of rear-admiral.

Benjamin Franklin Isherwood was born in New York City on October 6,
1822 to the former Eliza Hicks. His father died young; Eliza then
married John Green, an engineer whose great-grandfather was Captain
DuClose, a distinguished military engineer on the staff of General
Lafayette during the Revolutionary War. At the age of nine young
Benjamin was enrolled in the Albany Academy, but was expelled five
years later for "serious misconduct."

In 1844, at the age of 22, Benjamin joined the United States Navy and
saw action during the Mexican War. Prior to this he worked for the
Utica and Schenectady Railroad and trained under William C. Young, one
of the most prominent engineers of that period. Isherwood then worked
on the Croton Aqueduct, followed by an engineering job on the Erie
Canal. Designing and constructing lighthouses for the Treasury
Department was Isherwood's last employment before joining the Navy.

When the Mexican War ended, Benjamin Franklin Isherwood was assigned
to the Washington Navy Yard where he assisted his old boss, Charles B.
Stuart, in designing ships and experiments with steam as a source of
power for propelling ships.

In 1861 Isherwood was appointed Engineer-in-Chief of the United States
Navy and in 1862 became the first Chief of the Bureau of Steam
engineering, a post he held for eight years. When the Civil War began
the Navy had 28 steam vessels and during the war the number grew to
600. The design and construction of the machinery necessary to
accomplish this was done by Isherwood. He designed ships that were
fast enough to pursue the blockade runners.

In 1863 and 1865 he published the first and second volumes of
Experimental Researches in Steam Engineering which were translated
into six languages and became a standard engineering text upon which
future steam experimentation was based. In 1870-71 Isherwood conducted
experiments that resulted in a propeller that was used by the Navy for
the next 27 years.

Benjamin Franklin Isherwood retired from the Navy in 1884. He died in
1915 and was buried in Oakland Cemetery. The steam engineering
building at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, is
named "Isherwood Hall" in his honor. In the USNI proceedings of 1941
George W. Dyson stated that Isherwood might possibly be the greatest
engineer the United States Navy had developed.

http://navysite.de/ao/isherwood.jpg