Selling silver on Ebay

Old June 6th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Selling silver on Ebay

Hello,
I have a few dozen rolls of silver nickels. They have an
average grade of F-12, nothing special. I also have many rolls of
Walkers $.50 in similar grade. With the lower grade rolls of silver
coins, am I better off taking them to a dealer as bullion? Has anyone
noticed if rolls of lower grade silver coins sell at somewhat less than
spot prices? My feedback rating is over 350 and is 100% positive,
though I usually buy/sell comics. I guess these coins are only valuable
due to their silver content and wonder if ebay/paypal fees mean it's
best to sell them as bullion to a coin shop. Thank you for your
thoughts.
Jon

Old June 6th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

1. Call a couple of local shops and ask what they are paying.
2. Check today's closed auctions for silver.
3. Do the math.

I don't sell a lot of silver on eBay because of the fees. But when I do, I
use 1 day auctions on a day where silver starts out strong. It looks like
today is not one of those days.

Old June 6th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 6 Jun 2006 05:47:51 -0700, Jon wrote:
Hello,
I have a few dozen rolls of silver nickels. They have an
average grade of F-12, nothing special. I also have many rolls of
Walkers $.50 in similar grade. With the lower grade rolls of silver
coins, am I better off taking them to a dealer as bullion?

You'll probably get more on eBay. The dealer is going to have a margin
of maybe a buck an ounce under spot for the purchase.

Has anyone
noticed if rolls of lower grade silver coins sell at somewhat less than
spot prices? My feedback rating is over 350 and is 100% positive,
though I usually buy/sell comics.

I don't think that's a problem at all. I built up my feedback selling
postcards and comics before I went over to coins. Rolls go pretty much
close to spot, definately more than the dealer would give you. Dealer
pays today, though.

I guess these coins are only valuable
due to their silver content and wonder if ebay/paypal fees mean it's
best to sell them as bullion to a coin shop. Thank you for your
thoughts.

Lots of folks sell rolls on ebay. I sell to the dealer or in-person
deals when it comes to bulk. I usually want to pull the trigger that
day, price-wise, so the week lag doesn't work for me on junk silver
stuff. If your ebay and paypal fees are less than about 8%, I think you
come out ahead on eBay if you can wait the week. You won't lose massive
amounts of money, because it will _not_ go for way below spot unless
you list it in entirely the wrong place and misspell "roll" and
"silver". Don't bother with a high starting price, they charge more for
that and it won't go low, because people like me will typically go
around and bid spot -20% on whatever rolls they can find, on the chance
that the item will be overlooked.

Hope this helps? Lots of good folks here to answer your questions so
don't hesitate to ask.

Dave Hinz

Old June 6th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I have a few dozen rolls of silver nickels. They have an
average grade of F-12, nothing special. I also have many rolls of
Walkers $.50 in similar grade. With the lower grade rolls of silver
coins, am I better off taking them to a dealer as bullion?

Don't take those rolls of WLHs anywhere until you check them for key dates
like 1921. Even one of those coins is worth more than the whole roll.

Unless you need the money immediately, I'd put the rolls on eBay. And list
them so they close on a Sunday evening. Wait for Thursday evening and do a
three day which would make that happen, or wait until Sunday and do a seven
day, or list them any time and pay a little extra fee to delay the start
time.

Harv

Old June 7th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I have a few dozen rolls of silver nickels. They have an
average grade of F-12, nothing special. I also have many rolls of
Walkers $.50 in similar grade. With the lower grade rolls of silver
coins, am I better off taking them to a dealer as bullion? Has anyone
noticed if rolls of lower grade silver coins sell at somewhat less than
spot prices? My feedback rating is over 350 and is 100% positive,
though I usually buy/sell comics. I guess these coins are only valuable
due to their silver content and wonder if ebay/paypal fees mean it's
best to sell them as bullion to a coin shop. Thank you for your
thoughts.
Jon

One option with the Walkers, if you can come up with a dozen or so different
dates/mints, is to offer them as "starter sets" or such on Ebay. Might bring
more than they would as simple "junk silver". I would check first though to see
how similar auctions fare.

Bruce

Old June 7th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I have recently held several auctions of such silver, and eBay has done well
for me. I pulled 20 different date/mintmarks together and sold them with a
short set Harris Album, got about $110 for the whole deal.

--Keith