A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » 8 Track Tapes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Channel Master 8-track player makes a flapping noise when tryingto play tapes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 21st 14, 09:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
detonator
external usenet poster

Default Channel Master 8-track player makes a flapping noise when tryingto play tapes

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:15:36 PM UTC-5, detonator wrote:
Hi. I have a Channel Master Model 6325 8-track player. As I was playing a tape in it recently the player began to all of a sudden start to make a flapping noise. No audio would come through but when I took a look inside I could see that the pulley and flywheel were indeed still moving. If I took the belt off, and triggered the motor the flapping sound would go away with only the flywheel moving. If the belt is on the flapping sound is there. However, there is no evident problem with the belt itself, no tears, and not broken. It looks to be still like new and this belt was replaced within the past decade. It is clean. I tried to check if it was a loose belt issue by using a rubber band that is smaller than the belt size to run it but the same flapping sound occurred. I also tried using compressed air to clean the inside and squirted oil into any holes in the flywheel with WD-40. So without any belt only the flywheel moves and there is no noise but with the belt, the pulley moves too and seems to be the cause of the flapping noise. If I tried to move the pulley manually I can hear the flapping noise also if I speed it up. I've tried a few tapes and no audio would come through from them, just the flapping noise. What could be the cause? Is it something under the pulley? Is it the bearings? Would the bearings be inside the pulley or underneath? I tried to remove the pulley to see if anything needs tightening under there but I don't see how to get it off the spindle?. Thank you for any help or ideas.

Hi. I want to amend some things from my previous post. I realize now that the tape I was playing when the sound started to occur had a broken post where the roller sat. I had found the broken piece so it's not stuck in the machine but the player continues to make this spinning sound like it's the flywheel or pulley. I do hear sound now from my tapes but not without this loud sound of something spinning which I guess must be either the flywheel or pulley. Again, would the bearings still be the cause of this?