Cash4Gold nabs Ed McMahon, MC Hammer for Super Bowl spot

Old January 30th 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default Cash4Gold nabs Ed McMahon, MC Hammer for Super Bowl spot

Hello

I grew up watching Ed McMahon on late night TV.

Both of these guys have hit rock bottom. I wonder
how much money these guys are getting paid?
"Cash4Gold", must be doing well to pay for a TV
spot during the Superbowl game.

Desperate people, desperate times.

FROM:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...oldcom-na.html

Cash4Gold nabs Ed McMahon, MC Hammer for Super Bowl spot

3:32 PM, January 29, 2009
Los Angeles Times

Cash4Gold.com, The company said today it had signed
Ed McMahon and MC Hammer to star in a commercial for
Sunday's Super Bowl, one of the last few slots NBC
had available. Hammer will bring a veteran's touch
to the endeavor, having starred in this Lay's Super
Bowl spot in 2005. And McMahon is no stranger to
corporate sponsorship himself. In fact, when they
finally establish the Hall O' Fame for Eazy Money
Infomercials, Cash4Gold may end up right alongside
McMahon alma mater Publishers Clearing House.

It's not clear to me whether there's an intentional
ironic element here, given that both Hammer and
McMahon are famous for their serious financial woes.
Hammer blew through a multimillion-dollar fortune
in a few years, and McMahon recently contended with
a near-foreclosure on his Beverly Hills home.

On the other hand, it could be a brilliant sympathy
play. Times are just as tough for these faded stars
as they are for average Americans. Which is why,
obviously, we should all dross our valuables.

"As a nation, we are in uncharted economic territory,
and Cash4Gold's rapid growth is a clear indicator of
our new reality," CEO Jeff Aronson said in a press
release trumpeting the signings. "Since the credit
and housing market collapses, Americans are feeling
strapped for cash. Cash4Gold.com has become the
reliable source of fast cash for anyone who needs it,
without driving them any further into debt."

For his part, Hammer seems excited about the whole
affair. He sent out a tweet today noting he was on
his way to Tampa: "Got to work that
SuperBowl.... 'Melting Gold Baby' .... fun
commercial !!!"

Let's hope that he was just typing hastily there, and
that the commercial isn't actually called "Melting
Gold Baby." That would be an immodest
proposal indeed.

-- David Sarno

Old January 30th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
Hello

I grew up watching Ed McMahon on late night TV.

Both of these guys have hit rock bottom. I wonder
how much money these guys are getting paid?
"Cash4Gold", must be doing well to pay for a TV
spot during the Superbowl game.

Desperate people, desperate times.

Ed McMahon has always been a pimp for one product or another.
Gold buyers like those can well afford to advertise when they pay less
than $50/oz for gold.
I'm surprised Jay Johnson isn't doing ads for them also!

3:32 PM, January 29, 2009
Los Angeles Times

[...]

..

Ed's recent financial difficulties are well known. But, he has been a
well-known goldbug in the past - on television, Johnny Carson used to
kid him in the 1980s about his hoard of gold.

oly
Old July 23rd 10, 08:55 AM
airjacobs airjacobs is offline
Junior Member

Yes, both of these guys have hit the rock bottom. I wonder how much money these guys are getting paid? "Cash4Gold", must be doing well to pay for a TV spot during the Superbowl game.

Last edited by airjacobs : August 3rd 10 at 12:57 PM.