Hi Group

Old March 23rd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Hi Group

Well, you can officially call me a schmutz! I am just getting into
collecting and bought a pound of so called un-searched wheat's. Out of the 1
lb. of them, 3/4 were all from 56--57 or 58 and had to wait for 3 weeks for
them to arrive. I did get some that were in the teens, twenty's and a few
from the 40's. I know I have read on here that you should not clean the
coins because it diminshes it's value, but I did get about 4 steel's that
you can read the date on (barely) and was woundering if it goes for them
also since they are corroded quite badly. Please be kind in your reply :-)

Old March 23rd 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:27:24 GMT, "Tim & Jinny"
wrote:

I know I have read on here that you should not clean the
coins because it diminshes it's value, but I did get about 4 steel's that
you can read the date on (barely) and was woundering if it goes for them
also since they are corroded quite badly.

If they are that far gone, I don't see what harm there is in cleaning
them. At worst, you could still spend them for 1c each (that is,
unless some idiot thinks you are trying to pass off counterfeit
pennies! g)

Hope you didn't spend too much on that bag of pennies...

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old March 23rd 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

No, it was not too bad I guess, about 9.00 but could have thought of better
ways to spend money and get agrivated at the same time--LOL. Is there any
way or anybody that sells "truely" un-searched coins or is there a better
way to buy a quantity of them without getting ripped? Thanks for the
responce Bob!

Tim Schuh

news

Old March 23rd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Tim & Jinny" wrote in message
.. .
No, it was not too bad I guess, about 9.00 but could have thought of
better ways to spend money and get agrivated at the same time--LOL. Is
there any way or anybody that sells "truely" un-searched coins or is there
a better way to buy a quantity of them without getting ripped? Thanks for
the responce Bob!

Tim Schuh

Advice from a known and avowed skeptic (me): There's no such thing as
"unsearched" wheat lots.

Mr. Jaggers

Old March 23rd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I just got finished searching a 7 lb bag of unsearched cents and have so far
found some nice coins in it including the 1936 with the doubled date and
motto and a 1955 that they used to call the poor man's double die. I have a
few corroded steel cents but I will put them into Penny roles. When I was
first getting into coin collecting many years ago I remember how exciting it
was to find old wheat cents. Maybe it will bring some fun to some one else.

I purchased this lot off E Bay on a fluke but the person who was selling
them had 100% positive feed back and no negatives on his record.

Enjoy

Greg

Old March 23rd 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Greg Shilts wrote:
I purchased this lot off E Bay on a fluke but the person who was selling
them had 100% positive feed back and no negatives on his record.

You can just say you bought a few hours of searching pleasure. Many
people like to search rolls and bags. I have to admit I am not one of
those people.

I bought a few shotgun wheatie rolls on eBay that were supposed to be
original. The ends of the rolls told the truth. I recently sold the
rolls at a little above face, which is what they were worth when
shipping was considered. I agree with what was already said. There is
no such thing as an unsearched wheatie roll. There are a lot of
sellers, however, who will make you believe that such coins exist.

Anita

Old March 24th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Not just Wheeties but I can't think of any kind of bag that haven't been
searched at one time or another... maybe out of an estate of some kind
of change hoarder... maybe. Or origional unscrewed with mint rolls. But
those aren't bags are they

Old March 24th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:51:15 -0600, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"Tim & Jinny" wrote in message
. ..
No, it was not too bad I guess, about 9.00 but could have thought of
better ways to spend money and get agrivated at the same time--LOL. Is
there any way or anybody that sells "truely" un-searched coins or is there
a better way to buy a quantity of them without getting ripped? Thanks for
the responce Bob!

Tim Schuh

Advice from a known and avowed skeptic (me): There's no such thing as
"unsearched" wheat lots.

Mr. Jaggers

I agree wholeheartedly and disagree vehemently!! :-) The deeper you
go in this hobby, the more your perceptions undergo change. (no pun
intended). Unsearched for what? The beginner searches for key dates
and high grades. The veteran who has grown in the wisdom of the hobby
may be seeking rare die states and die varieties unknown to newbies.
The treasure hunt is to the knowledgeable. (sp?) After all, this
hobby is not really about little round pieces of stuff. It is about
people getting excited about a common interest based on constant
learning and growth, isn't it? If you collected waffles, who would
care?
Aram.

Old March 24th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Tim & Jinny" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, now just a darn minute, Aram, I collect waf....never mind.

I have a feeling that the average person who buys into the rubric
"unsearched" does so with visions of 1909-S VDBs and some of the lesser
lights, not more modern stuff that might contain minute die variations. But
I could be, and often am, wrong.

Mr. Jaggers

Old March 25th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

While this doesn`t exactly concern coins I had a similar experience
with some old postcards...When my grandfather passed away I got a tin
box of postcards he had bought while in the navy during WW1..All the
cards were from 1916-1918..He bought them and then just put them in
this box and they never saw the light of day again...When I took them
around to antique dealers who dealt in old postcards they all basically
said to the effect "I sell those kind buy the pound for $X.."....Now
I`m sure the postcards they are selling for that low figure per pound
have been sorted thru countless times in the past 90 years by countless
collectors so they know there`s nothing left of value and thus sell
them "Unsearched"....But here I had a truly "unsearched" pile of them
(Maybe 200 cards)..Yet because they had seen 100 billion of the junk
common ones in their lives they brushed off my cards without a
glance...Still have them in the box under my bed as I got tired of
trying to get anyone to look at them seriously...The box is probably
woth something too..An old metal school chalk box from 80 years
ago...Anyway..What was this thread about?..Oh yes..Don`t buy
"unsearched" wheat cents!