On neither the selling nor the wrapping of books, but on the collecting thereof

Old August 8th 03, 03:59 AM
William M. Klimon

Default On neither the selling nor the wrapping of books, but on the collecting thereof

While admitting that I have he

(1) defended the proposition that book selling goes hand-in-hand with
collecting--that there is probably no collector who has not sold (or
bartered) books, if only to get a better copy (or some other advantage) for
his own collection; and

(2) even recently discussed my selling as an adjunct to my collecting;

I, however, make a plea that we balance the profusion of discussion of the
mechanics and economics of book selling with some tales of collecting, some
biblio-news, some brags, and some boasts.

Have you got a new collection going? (I have: my collection of editions of
Augustine's *Confessiones* is up and running.)

Have you bought any new bibliographies or reference works?

Have you spotted any new trends in, what John Carter called, the taste [the
what] and technique [the how] of book collecting?

I was intrigued to learn this week about a collector of whom I had not
previously heard: the late Donald C. Turpen, an Albuquerque attorney, who,
following the great tradition of lawyer-collectors like John Quinn and Frank
Hogan, put together the greatest collection perhaps anywhere on the Mexican
Revolution (6,000 volumes that went to the University of New Mexico and
another 800 to Texas A&M). Now there's a collector!

http://www.stlib.state.nm.us/hiker2/h1996/hh1161.html
http://library.tamu.edu/vgn/portal/t...345076,00.html

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old August 8th 03, 05:21 AM
Scrooge

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
While admitting that I have he

(1) defended the proposition that book selling goes hand-in-hand with
collecting--that there is probably no collector who has not sold (or
bartered) books, if only to get a better copy (or some other advantage)

for
his own collection; and

(2) even recently discussed my selling as an adjunct to my collecting;

I, however, make a plea that we balance the profusion of discussion of the
mechanics and economics of book selling with some tales of collecting,

some
biblio-news, some brags, and some boasts.

Have you got a new collection going? (I have: my collection of editions

of
Augustine's *Confessiones* is up and running.)

Have you bought any new bibliographies or reference works?

Since you asked, I will brag a little. Ebay Auction $51.00 including
shipping.

Bibliographies:

A Bibliography of Charles Bukowski by Sanford Dorbin (123/350 signed by
Bukowski and Dorbin)
The Mencken Bibliogrpahy by Betty Adler
A Bibliography of the Works of Robert Louis Stevenson by Col. Prideaux (Two
Different Editions)
Robert Louis Stevenson, A Catalogue
W. B. Yeats, Manuscripts and Printed Books by R. O. Dougan
A Critical Bibliography of the Works of Edmund Spencer printed before 1700
by Francis Johnson
Alexander Solzhenitsyn, an International Bibliography by Donald Fiene (Neat,
because I just read 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Deniseovich' the week
before)
A Bibliography of Robert Burns by James Gibson
A Bibliography of Robert Burns by J. W. Egerer
John Updike, A Bibliography (to 1966)by C. Clarke Taylor
Supplement to Bibliography of Rudyard Kipling (1926-1937) by Livingston
Maughamiana: The Writings of W. Somerset Maugham by Raymond Toole-Stott
A Descriptive Bibliography of James Fenimore Cooper by Robert E. Spiller and
Phillip C. Blackburn
Allen Tate, A Bibliography by Marshall Fallwell, Jr.
Bibliography of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Karl Yost
The Literary Career of James Boswell, Esq: Being the Bibliographical
Materials for a Life of Boswell by Frederick Pottle
A Concise Bibliography of the Works of Walt Whitman by Carolyn Wells and
Alfred Goldsmith
Frank Norris: A Bibliography by Kenneth Lohf and Eugene Sheehy
A Bibliography of Henry David Thoreau by Francis H. Allen
Kingsley Amis, A Checklist by Jack Benoit Gohn
Sherwood Anderson: A Bibliography by Eugene Sheehy and Kenneth Lohf
A Bibliography of William Carlos Williams by Emily Mitchell Wallace
The Bibliography of Thackeray by Richard Shepard
A Bibliography of Robert Browning by Frederick J. Furnivall
Robert Penn Warren, A Bibliography by Mary Nance Huff
Thomas Wolfe, a Bibliography by George Preston

These are primarily about editions. The rest of the lot were bibliographies
of critisim, reviews and current editions, a slightly different area. This
about doubled the of bibliographies in my collection. I need to get as
organized as Jerry. Need more shelves.

These are a tough read. I will read most of the introductions and prefaces,
but I will learn the most by using them. So if I could help anyone with some
research, it be my pleasure.

Rich

Old August 8th 03, 09:23 AM
ann greenfield

William M. Klimon wrote: snip and a great idea.

I, however, make a plea that we balance the profusion of discussion of the mechanics and economics of book selling with some tales of collecting, some biblio-news, some brags, and some boasts.

Ah, yes, another voice crying in the wilderness...
Old August 8th 03, 12:16 PM
M Hill

In article kpEYa.28157$5f.5379@lakeread05,
William M. Klimon wrote:

snippage

Have you got a new collection going? (I have: my collection of editions of
Augustine's *Confessiones* is up and running.)

Have you bought any new bibliographies or reference works?

Snippage

I suspect that William is really enquiring about bibliographic reference
works, but maybe this is a step back up or down the line.

I recently purchased (in a bricks and mortar shop) a 2 volume "Terminology
Bulletin" for archaeology, published by the Canadian Secretary of State's
office. This in support of a vague idea I have had for producing a list
(a bibliography is too much trouble) of dictionarys of archaeology.
The set was ex lib, apparently a reference desk copy from a reference
desk which rarely if ever needed to refer to it.
Matthew Hill
ps- just glanced at the back. From the Metropolitan Toronto Reference
Library.
mhh
Old August 8th 03, 11:50 PM
Jerry Morris

First. Congats to Rich for obtaining a library of bibliographies! I've
discovered that when I acquire an author's bibliography, I tend to buy
more books by that author. With all the author bibliographies you now
have, you're going to need a whole lotta shelf space, Rich!

Bill Klimon wrote, and I snipped:

Have you spotted any new trends in, what John Carter called, the taste

[the what] and technique [the how] of book collecting?

I am just starting something similar to what Ed Schaeffer (Monboddo)
just finished. A belated congrats goes to Ed for completing his
collection of the Private Papers of James Boswell! I've just acquired
my first volume of the Hyde edition of the Letters of Samuel Johnson,
volume II of a five-volume series. I've also acquired the last five
volumes of the Letters of Charles Lamb, published in six volumes by the
Bibliophile Society in 1905.
Reading the works of an author is one thing; reading an author's
innermost thoughts to his friends is another. It is a whole new side of
book collecting to me, and I am enjoying it already!

A few odds and ends for my other collections: Pollard's Early
Illustrated Books, London, 1893, for $6.95, which needs the leather
rebacked (I'm continuing my trend of buying hurt books that I will
someday make, as they say in Hawaii, "more better."

An 1812 edition of the Life and Essays of the Late Doctor Franklin,
published by Johnson and Warner, Philadelphia. Title page is missing
the portion in the middle of the page that should say "in his own
words." Both leather covers detached and needs rebacking. $6.99 with
three other books, including the 1816 second edition of the novel,
Lucinda, or the Mountain Mourner. The title page and preliminary leaves
are missing, Bill Klimon notes that only a handful of libraries have
copies of this edition. I just might see about getting facsimile pages
reproduced.

Finally, I have another book for My Sentimental Library, but it also
raises a question that maybe Denise Enck and others can offer their
opinion. I have a softcover copy of Ethel Herring's Echoes of a Log
Cabin that is inscribed to Charles Kuralt:

"With appreciation to you for sharing the beauty of sound with the
world." October 6,1977 E.H. and the Professor. Ethel Herring also
signed it on the title page.

Now here's the question. If this book were to have the bookplate of
Charles Kuralt, I would be assured that this book was from the library
of Charles Kuralt and I would note it accordingly in My Sentimental
Library. Without the bookplate, however, or any other provenance from
Kuralt, I can only assume that this book was in his library. What if
Ethel Herring sent it to the television station instead? Was it ever in
Kuralt's library? Denise? Bill? Paghat?

Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books:
http://tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://tinyurl.com/hisb and moislibrary.com
http://tinyurl.com/hisn

Old August 9th 03, 09:01 PM
Denise Enck

"Jerry Morris" wrote...

[...]

That is a really cool find. I have a real soft spot for association copies
~

Given the inscription, one can probably safely assume that it refers to
"the" Charles Kuralt. But as to whether he ever owned it, well, who knows?
Books are often sent to authors & other public figures by folks who have
never met them. If the book in question were indeed sent to the television
station, it may well never have reached Kuralt's hands.

I have some experience in receiving (usually inscribed) books which are
intended to be forwarded to particular authors. Much of this material is not
wanted by the authors in question and, at their request, never reaches them.
An author may similarly receive books given to him at readings, public
engagments, etc. that may or may not be kept. (I sometimes find, in local
used bookstores, books inscribed to a certain well-known author/poet who
lives in Seattle - he must receive many of them, and keep few.)

A book coming out of an author's private library would, almost certainly be
more valued by a collector than a book inscribed to the author that never
was owned (or valued) by him.
But the problem is, there is really no way to know, unless there is some
provenance & I don't know how you would go about getting that for the book
in question. Could the person you bought it from provide any information?

cheers ~
Denise

--
Empty Mirror Books www.emptymirrorbooks.com
specializing in the Beat Generation & modern poetry

Denise Enck - Quanta Webdesign www.quantawebdesign.com
websites for organizations, individuals, small business, & the arts

Comic Books and SF Magazines on eBay CHANGE DOMAIN TO DJA D0T MAILME D0T ORG TO EMAIL General 0 January 16th 04 11:38 PM
Book signing information Ted Kupczyk Autographs 6 November 2nd 03 03:04 PM
Selling books Scott Shaffer Books 1 August 12th 03 07:29 AM
On the wrapping of books my-wings Books 18 August 10th 03 02:19 AM
UPCOMING BOOK SIGNINGS Todd F. Autographs 5 August 4th 03 06:54 AM