1922 No D Lincoln Somebody got burned on this one...

Old March 29th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 1922 No D Lincoln Somebody got burned on this one...

e wrote:
not a lincoln guy. for that kind of money, there's always a
walker i can upgrade.

The main reason that a 1922 Plain Die 2 costs so much is because it is
a truly rare coin. Especially in XF and above. They have their own
special "beauty", with an ultra weak obverse paired with a strong
reverse, and because they have no trace of a mintmark, where only 1
cent 1922 coins with a "D" were supposed to exist. Also adding to the
allure is the story behind their creation, where the mint production
quota policy ultimately caused the mintmark to be actually ground
completely off of the final remaining obverse working die to eliminate
clash marks, in order to mint the last few coins ordered to be produced
by federal law.

I also have a 1970 "No S" proof dime which I know is extremely rare,
but because there are also business strike 1970 "P" dimes out there,
anyone can have a 1970 dime without a mintmark. Not so with the 1922
Plain Die pair 2 unless you step up to the plate and pay the freight,
or are willing to live with a fake, or a weak reverse variety (Dies 1 &
3) which IMO are way too expensive because they are merely a filled die.

Old March 30th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

e wrote:
In article .com, "reality" wrote:

e wrote:
[...]

i understand that...i just don't collect pennys...

Me either anymore, except that was my first set as a kid because up to
the late 60s you could still find wheat cents in change.

Now I concentrate on proof and uncirculated type, gold type and keys,
of which the 22 Plain fits nicely.

Nothing is more mystifying to me than people who will pay a pile of
money for "condition rarity" Lincolns. I just sold a 1910 MS66RD in an
NGC holder for $375. It was a blazer but I still thought I overpaid
when I bought it a few years ago for $90.

1922 P Lincoln Cent Bill Krummel Coins 0 February 14th 05 05:43 AM
1922 P Lincoln Cent Tom Coins 0 February 14th 05 04:50 AM
1922 (Plain) Lincoln Cent Question. Lisa Birkner Coins 13 April 7th 04 01:51 AM
Stolen coin alert ....... please read and pass along. J. Craton Coins 4 January 26th 04 01:24 AM
FA: Extremely attractive 1922 No D Lincoln PCGS EF-40 Ira Stein Coins 0 December 12th 03 11:16 PM