RCSD Album Page Award - index update

Old December 20th 03, 12:16 PM
Bob Watson

Default RCSD Album Page Award - index update

Just a note to say that, as far as I am aware, as of time of writing the
index page is up to date and all links are working.

And I think we have a competition!

So far there there are 12 pages listed and already it seems to me that
"picking a best" will be no easy task.

All the best,
Bob Watson

For links to all the album pages submitted for the "RCSD Album Page
Award" see:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bobwatson10...age/index.html
Old December 20th 03, 04:04 PM
Mette

Bob, here is my third and last entry for the competition
http://w1.1429.telia.com/~u142900362...aMicroEngr.jpg

a double album page showing samples of Czeslaw Slania's
micro engravings, with hidden names of family and friends
on official postage stamps.

Mette

Old December 20th 03, 08:40 PM
Rodney

G'day Mette,
I find your scans showing signs of over-optimisation.
Perhaps if your original scan is reduced in it's resolution
the result may be improved.
It's a shame as your pages are delightful and interesting
yet the result may influence voting in the negative.

(just an observation)

I agree with Bob Watson's comments, a very enjoyable contest
to which I am enjoying immensely.

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old December 20th 03, 09:10 PM
Victor Manta

"Rodney" wrote in message
G'day Mette,
I find your scans showing signs of over-optimisation.
Perhaps if your original scan is reduced in it's resolution
the result may be improved.
It's a shame as your pages are delightful and interesting
yet the result may influence voting in the negative.

(just an observation)

I agree with Bob Watson's comments, a very enjoyable contest
to which I am enjoying immensely.

--

It's a nice contest, which shows also the limitation of the technology that
we have. It is not easy to show, like Mette, two A4 pages at about 1000 x

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization:
http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

Old December 20th 03, 09:25 PM
Mette

G'day Rodney,
Thanks, I do get your point :-) However, as I see it, this
is not a contest about the technology, but simply to show
album pages as they are edited by the individual collector.
Unfortunately my scanner cannot do it better when it
comes to scanning A4-pages and compressing them
into a "normal" browser resolution of 1024*768. Naturally,
a HTML-page would be much sharper, but as we are
talking about album-pages ... ;-)

Mette
--
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
return address invalid

Old December 20th 03, 10:12 PM
Eric Bustad

Mette:

I think that Rodney was refering to the amount of compression that was applied
to the image when it was saved as a JPEG format file. The software that comes
with my scanner allows me to specify a "JPEG Compression Quality" value from 10
to 100. Low values give me results like yours, with smaller file sizes. Higher
values give sharper images, but larger file sizes. All for the same number of
pixels in the image. With the amount of compression used on your images, even
the blown up images of stamp details are unreadable. Even the text printed on
the album page is fuzzy because of the compression.

Using HTML for the text and images for only the stamp images themselves might
allow a better trade-off between file size and clarity of the stamps and text.

= Eric

Old December 20th 03, 11:06 PM
Mette

Eric Bustad wrote in message
[...]

Eric, Rodney et al,

OK, I've just re-scanned with no compression and re-loaded.
In my browser it looks ok, and everything is readable -- of
course, I know what's written ;-) If the pages still appear
unreadable it might be a solution to upload them as web-pages
instead of scanned album-pages. That can be done fairly easily,
but I understood that scanned album pages were preferred.

Mette

Old December 20th 03, 11:06 PM
Victor Manta

"Victor Manta" wrote in message

It's a nice contest, which shows also the limitation of the technology

that
we have.
snip
Victor Manta

And not only limitations, but also sometimes serious quality problems. An
hour ago my only 1.5 years old HP (!) Scanjet died. I could easily identify
the reason: its Made in China power supply doesn't work anymore. BTW, the
scanner itself is also made in China.

I doubt that I will be able to get a replacement during this long holidays
time... Great!

Victor Manta

Old December 21st 03, 02:30 AM
TC

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:06:57 +0100, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

"Victor Manta" wrote in message

It's a nice contest, which shows also the limitation of the technology

that
we have.
snip
Victor Manta

And not only limitations, but also sometimes serious quality problems. An
hour ago my only 1.5 years old HP (!) Scanjet died. I could easily identify
the reason: its Made in China power supply doesn't work anymore. BTW, the
scanner itself is also made in China.

I doubt that I will be able to get a replacement during this long holidays
time... Great!

Victor Manta

Victor:

You may find it only scans Chinese stamps now.
8*)

Blair