Clean up Kennedy halfs

Old November 29th 03, 04:29 AM
Harvey

Default Clean up Kennedy halfs

How do I clean up Kennedy half dollars that are darkened?

Old November 29th 03, 11:13 AM
Larry Louks

Harvey wrote:
How do I clean up Kennedy half dollars that are darkened?

Harvey, a quick dip in "e-Z-est" coin cleaner should do the trick for you.

Larry

Old November 29th 03, 03:30 PM
Harvey

Thanks. Based on your input, Larry, I placed an order for the small
container.

Old November 29th 03, 05:25 PM
C. Urch

Be sure you rinse the coin properly after the dip. I'm not 100% certain
that this product should be used on clad coinage but if you do, it would
behoove you to make a solution of baking soda and water (base) to neutralize
the acid bath after dipping. Rinse the coin after neutralizing in warm
water and dry thouroughly. You may want to experiment on a coin or two and
set these aside for a few weeks to see what the "end result" will be before
you proceed to dip alot of coins or valuable high grade specimens.

Old November 29th 03, 07:14 PM
Ami .

Three weeks ago, I purchased some circulated Kennedy halves. One of the
halves in the lot, a 1966, was really dull and had a very brassy
brownish tint. So I dipped it for 30 seconds in a coin cleaning solution
then washed it in warm soapy water. The coin cleaning solution took the
brown brassiness off the coin.

Old November 29th 03, 07:41 PM
WinWinscenario

Harvey wrote:
How do I clean up Kennedy half dollars that are darkened?

Harvey, a quick dip in "e-Z-est" coin cleaner should do the trick for you.

Larry

And be very careful not to rub the surface with anything--just rinse. Rubbing
with anything sufficiently abrasive to remove discoloration will also leave
evidence ("hairlines") that the coin has been cleaned, and that will seriously
devalue the coin as a collector item.

Regards,
Tom