Went to my first booksigning today

Old July 19th 03, 11:25 PM
my-wings

Default Went to my first booksigning today

Janet Evanovich, author of the Stephanie Plum series which is now up to nine
books, did a signing at my local Costco today.

What a gem that lady is! Even with her hand in a carpel-tunnel type brace,
she not only signed books purchased in-store, but any hardcover you brought
from home. She posed for photographs with anyone who requested it and was as
charming and funny in person as she is as an author.

The signing started at one, which is when I got there. The line snaked up
and down five or six aisles, and it must have contained several hundred
people. It took two hours to get to the front. Some people joined Costco
just to be able go to the signing! (At $45 for a membership, I think that's
a fan club!)

I bought three of her new books -- one for me, one for a friend, and one for
just-in-case -- and brought five from home. (I haven't been able to force
myself to go to three figures for the first one of the series yet. I keep
hoping it's going to pop up on ebay when no one is looking.)

Anyway, that's my news for today....time well spent, I think.

Alice

Old July 20th 03, 02:31 PM
Art Layton

Alice, you have discovered one of the more rewarding parts of
collecting modern firsts; the opportunity to meet the author, hear
them talk about their books and get a personal inscription.

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Old July 20th 03, 03:01 PM
braves-lady

I would really like to get this book, but I've heard so much negative stuff
about this seller from this newgroup. It LOOKS like the real deal. What do
you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=26 181&rd=1

Braveslady

Old July 20th 03, 05:37 PM
John Pelan

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:01:50 -0500, "braves-lady"
wrote:

I would really like to get this book, but I've heard so much negative stuff
about this seller from this newgroup. It LOOKS like the real deal. What do
you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=26 181&rd=1

Braveslady

Pretty simple (for me). It's NOT a rare book, it's merely an expensive
one. I'd (a.) bit the bullet and order one off ABE (where several very
reputable folks have copies listed) or (b.) do without, rather than
buy from Flatty.

I ask myself what would I do if I copy of Eric Frank Russell's DARK
TIDES (the #1 book on my want-list) turned up with Flatty. The answer
is easy, I would continue to do without it. ;-)

Cheers,

John

www.darksidepress.com (where you can get one of everything for less
than the cost of Goldman's book!)

Old July 20th 03, 06:07 PM
William M. Klimon

"John Pelan" wrote in message

Pretty simple (for me). It's NOT a rare book, it's merely an expensive
one. I'd (a.) bit the bullet and order one off ABE (where several very
reputable folks have copies listed) or (b.) do without, rather than
buy from Flatty.

Additionally, Fl@tty is violating eBay's listing policy by keyword spamming
the names Theodore Roosevelt and Zane Grey, who have nothing to do with the
book in question. In fact, he has basically taken one of eBay's examples of
what not to do--"Please view my other eBay listings for Beanie Babies,
vintage Barbies, Rolex watches, and Chanel scarves"--and done it. He will
no doubt be reported for this offense.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old July 20th 03, 07:04 PM
John Pelan

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:30:31 -0500, MindElec wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:37:16 -0700, John Pelan
declared:

wrote:

I would really like to get this book, but I've heard so much negative stuff
about this seller from this newgroup. It LOOKS like the real deal. What do
you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=26 181&rd=1

Braveslady

Pretty simple (for me). It's NOT a rare book, it's merely an expensive
one. I'd (a.) bit the bullet and order one off ABE (where several very
reputable folks have copies listed) or (b.) do without, rather than
buy from Flatty.

especially since the reserve hasn't been met on flattys.

I ask myself what would I do if I copy of Eric Frank Russell's DARK
TIDES (the #1 book on my want-list) turned up with Flatty. The answer
is easy, I would continue to do without it. ;-)

ahhh, john *sigh* you've just reminded me of one of my bigger
bookdealing mistakes. though it's also a comment on the desirability
of that book. i *had* a copy of dark tides up on ebay 6 months ago.
not one hit on the counter until the last day, 2 hours before the
auction ended, when someone snatched it for the buy it now price of
$40.

come to find out it was a dealer at midwest bookhunters, who then
filled me in on my error.

robert

Six months ago, I wouldn't have been looking... My irritation at the
incompleteness of EFR's reprinted tales didn't set in until I was
looking to see how many of his pieces from WEIRD TALES and UNKNOWN
were present in the NESFA collection. I then realized that ALL the
contents of DARK TIDES had been ignored and decided I really ought to
have a copy.

Now it's passed the point of irritation to where I shall DO SOMETHING
about it, and to that end, I'm in process of contacting the EFR
Estate. There's at least two books worth of "difficult" stories, maybe
three... We'll see what develops...

$40.00??? I shall go upstairs and sob...

John

Old July 20th 03, 07:18 PM
MindElec

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:04:55 -0700, John Pelan
declared:

wrote:

[...]

and it sat there for 9 1/2 days at that price and when bought there
was only one hit on the counter, misery enjoys company ;-)

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"
Old July 20th 03, 08:56 PM
braves-lady

"Art Layton" wrote in message
om...
"braves-lady" wrote in message

I would really like to get this book, but I've heard so much negative

stuff
about this seller from this newgroup. It LOOKS like the real deal. What

do
you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=26 181&rd=1

Braveslady

Pay using a credit card. Once you get the book, have a reputable
source verify the book for you. If the books isn't as described,
dispute the charge with your credit card company and seek to return
the book for a full credit.

Art Layton
Stamford CT

I found another on ebay, seller has 100% positive feedback and the book is
signed! Auction was running out so I checked abe, the only signed copy was
$800. I used paypal. Hope I didn't make an awful blunder...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=13 542&rd=1

Old July 20th 03, 11:25 PM
John Pelan

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:56:11 -0500, "braves-lady"
wrote:

I found another on ebay, seller has 100% positive feedback and the book is
signed! Auction was running out so I checked abe, the only signed copy was
$800. I used paypal. Hope I didn't make an awful blunder...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=13 542&rd=1

No, you did very well. I'd say a signed copy is priced to sell at
$500-$600, (not that I wouldn't ask more).

Again, nicely done, enjoy the book... Now if only someone would turn
up the Eric Frank Russell book I want, then two collectors would be
happy today!

Cheers,

John
Old July 21st 03, 04:18 AM
Mike Berro

If the sig is real, that's a very good deal. His signature is notoriously
difficult.

---Mike
http://www.booktouronline.com

"braves-lady" wrote in message
I would really like to get this book, but I've heard so much negative

stuff
about this seller from this newgroup. It LOOKS like the real deal. What do
you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=26 181&rd=1

Braveslady

Great success today! Beat Kunz Autographs 0 December 21st 04 01:59 PM
One success today Beat Kunz Autographs 0 November 4th 04 11:01 AM
BRONZE AGE X-MEN COMICS CLOSING TODAY! W. R. Collectibles General 0 February 5th 04 12:41 PM
BRONZE AGE X-MEN COMICS CLOSING TODAY! W. R. Collectibles General 0 February 5th 04 12:40 PM
Great in Person today Clake13 Autographs 6 September 22nd 03 03:08 PM