Philip Farmer and "River World" Series

Old July 21st 03, 07:32 PM
Sandy Malcolm

Fair enough. But as I recall, it was William who said :

(1) Isn't a "computer printout" a "typescript" as opposed to a "manuscript,"
even if it has manuscript corrections?

in the first place.

"Mike Berro" wrote in message
t...
I'll agree to disagree. William Klimon said it better than I.

---Mike

"Sandy Malcolm" wrote in message
"Holographic manuscript", as you said
before, is redundant because they both mean handwritten.

Actually, I realised after I posted that that "holographic ms" isn't

redundant
at all - a ms is only holographic if it's in the handwriting of the

author, or
the person under whose authority it's issued. So the ms of a novel isn't
holographic if it's been dictated to a scribe or secretary; similarly an
official document (eg a royal proclamation) is unlikely to be holographic

since
it's almost bound to have been written by a clerk and then signed by the

king,
queen or whoever.

Sandy

Old July 21st 03, 09:19 PM
William M. Klimon

"Mike Berro" wrote in message et...

I'll agree to disagree. William Klimon said it better than I.

"Holographic manuscript", as you said
before, is redundant because they both mean handwritten.

Actually, I realised after I posted that that "holographic ms" isn't

redundant
at all - a ms is only holographic if it's in the handwriting of the

author, or
the person under whose authority it's issued. So the ms of a novel isn't
holographic if it's been dictated to a scribe or secretary; similarly an
official document (eg a royal proclamation) is unlikely to be holographic

since
it's almost bound to have been written by a clerk and then signed by the

king,
queen or whoever.

Sandy is absolutely correct that holographic means autographic, i.e.,
written in the hand of the author of the work in question. This
definition even has legal significance, e.g., in many jurisdictions an
entirely holographic will is valid even if not attested by the
requisite number of witnesses--whereas if the testator fills in a form
he got off the Internet and signs it or someone else writes down the
entire thing for him, then it must be witnessed (typically by between
2 and 4 independent persons) in order to be valid.

I don't object, though, to the literary meaning of
"manuscript"--although coming from a paleographic background my first
thought when I hear the word is of handwritten books from before the
age of printing (although manuscript books continued to be produced
for hundreds of years after c. 1450--in fact, there is a famous quote
from a Benedictine abbot who thought that manuscript production was
the best work for monks and so that they should continue despite the
invention of moveable type). In Washington the other day I saw a
personalized license plate that read: "LATN MSS". My first thought
was that the owner was a paleographer, maybe at Georgetown or Catholic
U. My wife suggested, though, that it was more likely the driver was
a supporter of the liturgy celebrated in the sacral language of the
Roman rite (although both could be true).

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com