Type problem coin, buy or not?

Old April 2nd 05, 11:41 PM
Cliff

Default Type problem coin, buy or not?

I came across a type half that has been slabbed by ANACS as AU
details, net XF cleaned. It's not a bad looking coin and it's a Red
Book listed variety. The price is cheap and it would fit nicely into
my daughters type set. If I bought it I'd bust it out of the slab,
put it in an airtight and in an album page.
But, ultimately is it worthwhile to buy a problem coin cheap or hold
out for one that isn't a problem that I'll probably not be able to
afford. It's obvious from the obverse that it was wiped and the
reverse has odd toning on half the coin and none on the other half. I
could grow to like it but at this stage, as she wants better and
better and more expensive coins I'm not sure that the economy of
buying something with a problem is worth the money we'd save,
especially if we didn't grow to love it and probably would have to
take a beating upon selling.
What would you do?
Cliff

Old April 3rd 05, 01:17 AM
linxlvr

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:41:52 -0500, Cliff wrote:

[...]

Impossible to answer. :-)
I am buying a problem coin as we speak though, so I do understand the
dilemma.
I try to stay away from problem coins though because like you said, when
time comes to sell, you'll take a beating. There is a lot lee brow beating
on the value of a coin that properly meets a given grade.

Usually I would rather a no-prob. F12 than a prob. XF. But I broke down
and got a seated $ XF45 w/ a rim ding at 50% of retail.

It certainly makes getting an original, never cleaned seated $ in XF+ a
lot closer to my price range. Though really, it's still not in the budget,
just that I could stretch that far almost w/o a coronary. :-)

YMMV
--
DW

Old April 3rd 05, 03:29 AM
Michael R

"Cliff" wrote in message
[...]

Chocolate or Vanilla?..
sorry to be such a simpleton

--
Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo

Old April 3rd 05, 04:04 AM
Cliff

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 20:29:27 -0600, "Michael R" mrcoinatcomcastdotnet
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

vanilla with chocolate syrup

just asking what others would do. I know that I passed on the coin
but I am having non-buyer remorse and should have bought it to fill
the hole until a better one comes along. On the downside, sometimes a
better one never comes along.
Cliff
Old April 3rd 05, 04:51 PM
Fletch

If you intend to add it to your collection, only a coin that you'd love to
look upon again and again.

I'd advise you to stick with no problem coins with great eye appeal for any
grade fine or better. Even the word 'problem' makes the coin less appealing
to many collectors. I personally would see nothing but the problem every
time I picked the coin up and looked at it. Nice coin .. hairlines ... good
detail in the drapery ... harilines ... some detail in the head ...
hairlines ... ugly toning hairlines ...

It is amazing how good a F-15 or VF-20 coin can look if well struck and
aged. I've a AU Bust Dollar worth lotsa money and a VF-20 draped bust half
I paid $600 for. I'd rather look at the half, but now I can't part with the
dollar because I know I'll never be able to afford another. And I wish I'd
paid a little more and gotten the Bust Dollar I wanted back when -- the one
I have is attractive but not stunning. I may post images of both over on
abpn to illustrate my point.

As to the right one coming along -- the fun is in the hunt! It will come

--Keith

"Cliff" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 20:29:27 -0600, "Michael R" mrcoinatcomcastdotnet
wrote:

. ..

Old April 3rd 05, 04:55 PM
Fletch

Actually, I probably won't post those images any time soon, I just realized
I didn't bother imaging the half 'cause I plan on dying with it in my
clenched fist.

--keith

Old April 3rd 05, 11:14 PM
Ed. Stoebenau

wrote:

[...]

I'd pass on the coin, and wait for a nice problem-free EF. What
half cent type, by the way?

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143
Old April 3rd 05, 11:26 PM
Michael R

"Cliff" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 20:29:27 -0600, "Michael R" mrcoinatcomcastdotnet
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I would stick with problem free coins, but having said that, almost every
coin has a price that I would pay for it.

--
Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo

Old April 4th 05, 03:11 AM
Ed. Stoebenau

wrote:

I came across a type half that has been slabbed by ANACS as AU
details, net XF cleaned. [snip]

I'd pass on the coin, and wait for a nice problem-free EF. What
half cent type, by the way?

Half dollar
Cliff

Oh, right, that _silver_ coin. Half cents are better.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143