OT - Speaking of Britspeak..

Old July 22nd 03, 10:42 PM
braves-lady

Default OT - Speaking of Britspeak..

If the British word for cookies is biscuits, what's the British word for
biscuits?
Braveslady

Old July 22nd 03, 10:50 PM
Barbara Roden

"braves-lady" wrote in message
If the British word for cookies is biscuits, what's the British word for
biscuits?

Biscuits . . . which covers pretty much all the bases in Britain, from sweet
things North Americans would call 'cookies' to the sorts of things you'd put
cheese or cold meat or caviar or whatever on (Brits would say 'cheese and
biscuits', with the 'biscuit' extended to include things like Cornish
wafers, cream crackers, Ritz crackers, oat cakes, etc.). As with so many
words, context is everything.

Barbara

Old July 23rd 03, 09:15 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

If the British word for cookies is biscuits, what's the British word for
biscuits?
Braveslady

They don't *have* anything quite like our biscuits.

What are your biscuits like? Ours are mostly sweet, flat and crispy-crumbly.
We have digestive biscuits (wholemeal and wheatmeal; basically a kind of
unleavened sweetened bread mix), chocolate biscuits (similar, but with a
layer of chocolate on one side), wafers (=layered biscuits, with various
kinds of gunk between the layers), rich tea biscuits (biscuits for Puritans
or Spartans), shortbread biscuits, oatcakes, chocolate chip, ginger, etc. I
have memories of something that's chocolate on one side, with a bit of
marmalade underneath it, and the biscuit mix is much softer than usual, and
a coconut one that's also quite soft and kind of chewy, but mostly they're
crispy. It's the flat shape, and the fact that they're all typically served
with afternoon tea, that gives them a common name.

"Cheese and biscuits" normally implies what we call crackers (savoury
biscuits) or unsweetened oatmeal biscuits, as Barbara Roden pointed out.

I've noticed that words for foodstuffs seem to vary quite a lot, not just in
English, but in other languages too. As Barbara also pointed out in another
thread, in the US version of Harry Potter "pudding" got changed to
"dessert". In Japanese, though, the word "purin" (derived from English
"pudding", means "caramel cream" (the gunky sweet stuff people sometimes eat
for pudding). In turn, caramel cream in Spanish is called "flan". On my last
visit to the UK a Spanish lady and her daughter in the supermarket were
studying cheese flans with mystified expressions until I put them right!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old July 24th 03, 12:34 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Sandy Malcolm wrote:

I have memories of something that's chocolate on one side, with a bit of
marmalade underneath it, and the biscuit mix is much softer than usual

That's a Jaffa Cake,

Oh, yes! Thank you for reminding me!

which, despite its close resemblance to a biscuit, has been
officially designated a cake. I can't remember why this came about, but

there
was some kind of official debate (I can't believe it was a court case, but

who
knows?) which the makers of Jaffa Cakes won, based on their argument that
"biscuits are hard, and when they're stale they go soft, but cakes are

soft, and
when they're stale they go hard". The latter is exactly what happens with

Jaffa
Cakes, so a cake it is. Apparently.

Well, that's logical enough! What are those kind of chewy coconuty ones
called? I've been trying to remember all day!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old July 24th 03, 01:05 AM
paghat

Wilum h as reenacted this encounter from when he was in Ireland, in a
corner grocer:

"Gimme that can of pop please."
"Give you what?"
"A soft drink."
"A what?"
"That soda pop! Right there behind you."
"Oh, this? You mean a tin of mineral?"

When asking for a tin of mineral in London the same exchange could well
have ended,
"You mean a fizzy?"

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old July 24th 03, 09:57 AM
Tom

Replace perfect with confuse.

"fiziwig" wrote in message
It took British genius to invent the English language, ...
and American genius to perfect it.

Old July 24th 03, 11:23 PM
Lin Digs Books

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message ...
Sandy Malcolm wrote:

[...]

Macaroons?

Lindig

Speaking Inks radarman10 Pens & Pencils 12 December 30th 04 05:38 AM
Speaking of Noodler's ink: my own ink tests R. Paul Martin Pens & Pencils 16 September 14th 04 04:17 AM
Lit. Britspeak #3 Lin Digs Books Books 2 July 19th 03 04:07 PM
Literary Britspeak #2 William M. Klimon Books 1 July 10th 03 03:38 PM