AFree8

Old November 3rd 05, 03:03 AM
lennon fan

Default AFree8

*drool*

Old November 4th 05, 05:57 AM
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:03:47 -0500, (lennon fan)
wrote:

*drool* snip

Mine has a bubbled label, but pristine tape :Þ

Sorry, but the LP sounds a lot better.

dB
Old November 4th 05, 02:56 PM
66FOURDOOR

broken songs- I'd rather have a decent home recorded tape that goes
right through the track switch, then the laborious fade in/fade out
with replaying a piece of the music on the fade in.

Some, but very few, factory fade out/in track switches were done well,
though. It depends on what part of the song they do it in.

i.e. you wouldn't want to fade out for channel switch, at the beginning
of the grandiose guitar lead on Stairway to Heaven- it would just
destroy the entire song.

Old November 5th 05, 12:07 AM
66FOURDOOR

but if someone offered you $40 each for all your carts, you'd take it
mighty quick, right ?

gee, if you hit the lottery for a million, would you accept it ?

c'mon, who ya tryin' to kid ? realistically- if you bought a car for
$10K, and 10 years later someone thought it was a cool antique and
offered you $20K, you'd be a fool not to accept the money !

You're only looking at it from the "buy" perspective- someday you may
want to sell to- so keep that in mind

Old November 5th 05, 02:38 AM
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:04:29 -0500, (lennon fan)
wrote:

AFree8

Group: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes Date: Fri, Nov 4, 2005, 8:17am
(EST-3) From:
(DeserTBoB)

I agree...$40 for ANY cart in any format is out of bounds. 8 track is
all about getting music on the cheap-cheap, so spending a lot of money
for a rare cart seem counterproductive to me.
dB

Well, I confess to these extravagances, only because it was a dearly
loved album only available in quad with different mixes in the 8track
format: snip

Q8's a whole different ball game, to me, anyway. Its fans are very
dedicated and source material is quite scarce. That neatly explains
why crooks like Charlie Nudo tried to fill the market with homemade
frauds...well, until he got caught, anyway.

ZZ Top Tres Hombres sealed quad $70
Kraftwerk-Autobahn Quad - 40
Al Green greatest hits quad - 60
lennon - imagine UK quad - 80
Blood sweat and tears s/t -40
and sadly a few more....but I regret it not, all of these were ab fab,
unique versions of albums I'm always happy to listen to....I have about
500 quad 8's, fortunately most were had for a coupla bucks...but as I
got serious about quads, I hit a phase where I had to have every great
one....and lemme tell ya, the quad versions of the Chicago albums
positively SMOKE the stereo versions! snip

It's pretty obvious that a lot more care went into Q8 releases than
the usual stereo, from what I've heard. Does it justify the price? I
think so, since the format was never all that popular or that big a
seller in the first place, thus making good quality carts a rarity.
Common stereo 8 tracks, except for the usual suspects, are still a
50¢-$1 item.

dB
Old November 5th 05, 12:45 PM
66FOURDOOR

some people just can't discuss 8-tracks in a friendly manner, I guess !