A Separate Peace...John Knowles

Old June 17th 13, 02:11 PM
Weathers123 Weathers123 is offline
Junior Member

Default A Separate Peace...John Knowles

I recently found a copy dated 1959....from the International Collectors Library.
Now, I know that most of ICL's books aren't really worth anything.
But, I'm just wondering if "A Separate Peace" might be worth a bit more than some of the others. I know that it is a sought after book...or so I have been told.

Thanks so much...
Old June 19th 13, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson[_2_]

"Weathers123" wrote in message

Now, I know that most of ICL's books aren't really worth anything.
But, I'm just wondering if "A Separate Peace" might be worth a bit more
than some of the others.

Multi-bookseller sites like www.abebooks.com allow us to
review current prices for used books. (Most sellers list
publication details as well as prices.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old June 21st 13, 04:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 6/17/2013 9:11 AM, Weathers123 wrote:
I recently found a copy dated 1959....from the International Collectors
Library.
Now, I know that most of ICL's books aren't really worth anything.
But, I'm just wondering if "A Separate Peace" might be worth a bit more
than some of the others. I know that it is a sought after book...or so
I have been told.

Thanks so much...

I think that you are confusing the copyright date (1959) with the
publication date of that particular edition.

The true first edition was published by Secker & Warburg in England in
1959. The American first edition was published by Macmillan in 1960.
If you can obtain a true first, i.e., the Secker & Warburg first
printing of the first edition, that appears to be worth collecting. The
American first is worth considerably less, though it also appears to
have a good bit more value than the average book.

I don't know when ICL published their reprint, but it was not in 1959.
An ICL edition appears to me to use fake leather, inferior quality paper
(their pages are rough and yellow quickly) and are generally inferior to
many other reprint publishers. Reprints generally are worth less than
the first edition.

Francis A. Miniter