Where have all the collectors gone?

Old December 3rd 12, 09:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scotkamins

Default Where have all the collectors gone?

Hi Folks,

Last time I was here was several years ago. At that time dozens of
messages were posted here every day. Unless my newsfeed has gone
kerbluey, I'm seeing just a few messages AT MOST for any recent day.

Is there a new newsgroup for coins somewhere? I mean. I know that Usenet
is in decline but surely interest in coin collecting hasn't disappeared!

In case it is my newsfeed, please email responses to me as well as
posting them he

And thanks!
Old December 3rd 12, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
hp

On 12/3/2012 3:33 PM, scotkamins wrote:
Hi Folks,

Last time I was here was several years ago. At that time dozens of
messages were posted here every day. Unless my newsfeed has gone
kerbluey, I'm seeing just a few messages AT MOST for any recent day.

Is there a new newsgroup for coins somewhere? I mean. I know that Usenet
is in decline but surely interest in coin collecting hasn't disappeared!

In case it is my newsfeed, please email responses to me as well as
posting them he

And thanks!

You don't suppose that is because more ISP's are dropping Usenet access
from their basic services has any effect?

This forces folks to seek alternative methods to access usenet. Either
an extra paid service or a deep seek to find 'free' access.
Old December 4th 12, 04:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ruben[_2_]

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:53:11 -0500, hp wrote:

On 12/3/2012 3:33 PM, scotkamins wrote:
Hi Folks,

Last time I was here was several years ago. At that time dozens of
messages were posted here every day. Unless my newsfeed has gone
kerbluey, I'm seeing just a few messages AT MOST for any recent day.

Is there a new newsgroup for coins somewhere? I mean. I know that
Usenet is in decline but surely interest in coin collecting hasn't
disappeared!

In case it is my newsfeed, please email responses to me as well as
posting them he

And thanks!

You don't suppose that is because more ISP's are dropping Usenet access
from their basic services has any effect?

This forces folks to seek alternative methods to access usenet. Either
an extra paid service or a deep seek to find 'free' access.

I got mine from Panix for 10 dollars a month. I do wish, however, that I
could post images.

Ruben
Old December 4th 12, 04:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Dec 3, 3:33*pm, scotkamins wrote:
Hi Folks,

Last time I was here was several years ago. At that time dozens of
messages were posted here every day. Unless my newsfeed has gone
kerbluey, I'm seeing just a few messages AT MOST for any recent day.

Is there a new newsgroup for coins somewhere? I mean. I know that Usenet
is in decline but surely interest in coin collecting hasn't disappeared!

In case it is my newsfeed, please email responses to me as well as
posting them he

And thanks!

I thought most of them died off.
Old December 4th 12, 06:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Ruben" wrote in message news
[...]

I've had good luck with the free "eternal-september" that was recommended
by one of our RCC'ers. Images? Can't have everything nowadays. Google it
and check it out. Beats $10 a month.

Old December 5th 12, 04:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Dec 3, 3:33*pm, scotkamins wrote:
Hi Folks,

Last time I was here was several years ago. At that time dozens of
messages were posted here every day. Unless my newsfeed has gone
kerbluey, I'm seeing just a few messages AT MOST for any recent day.

Is there a new newsgroup for coins somewhere? I mean. I know that Usenet
is in decline but surely interest in coin collecting hasn't disappeared!

In case it is my newsfeed, please email responses to me as well as
posting them he

And thanks!

Hey, Scot. Welcome back. The great majority of collectors have moved
on to other discussion groups. CoinPeople and CoinTalk are two of the
other groups I visit on occasion. Some RCC-ers have gone to the PCGS
and NGC forums, as well.

Is it ISPs not carrying UseNet anymore? Possibly. I feel a big part
was the major influx of scum-suckers that essentially destroyed RCC
around March 2008. We got spammed majorly by every troll that could
come out of the woodwork. Most regulars got fed up and moved to other
forums. A lot are moderated so the trolls don't get a chance.

Like you said, we used to be a heavy discussion group about all things
numismatic, but, sadly, I think those days have passed. Still, we get
an occasional discussion going.

Jerry
Old December 5th 12, 04:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Dec 3, 10:47*pm, sgt23 wrote:
On Dec 3, 3:33*pm, scotkamins wrote:

Hi Folks,

Last time I was here was several years ago. At that time dozens of
messages were posted here every day. Unless my newsfeed has gone
kerbluey, I'm seeing just a few messages AT MOST for any recent day.

Is there a new newsgroup for coins somewhere? I mean. I know that Usenet
is in decline but surely interest in coin collecting hasn't disappeared!

In case it is my newsfeed, please email responses to me as well as
posting them he

And thanks!

I thought most of them died off.

Come on guys lets get serious. Most coin collectors are well into
their 40's or older and this group goes back nearly 20 years. I'd bet
about 50% of the former members here have kicked the bucket or they
are in a retirement home or an old folk's home.
Old December 5th 12, 06:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Monday, December 3, 2012 2:33:12 PM UTC-6, scotkamins wrote:
Hi Folks, Last time I was here was several years ago. At that time dozens of messages were posted here every day. Unless my newsfeed has gone kerbluey, I'm seeing just a few messages AT MOST for any recent day. Is there a new newsgroup for coins somewhere? I mean. I know that Usenet is in decline but surely interest in coin collecting hasn't disappeared! In case it is my newsfeed, please email responses to me as well as posting them he And thanks!

AH put the stake in the heart of the RCC vampire. DUH. Then certain whore vest pocket and extremely undercapitalized unprofessional small show coin dealers found out that their un-true street-corner come-ons wouldn't go unchallenged on an unmoderated forum. DUH DUH. Then came the Recession/Depression of 2007 to date, where I would guess that some RCC denizens had to choose Campbell's Soup over modern clad proof coins and BEP cards. DUH DUH DUH. Finally, the "rare" Coin Business has devolved into the scrap P.M. bullion business in very very many respects, which hurts morale - the only semi-numismatic question remaining is "What's 20 or 25 percent back of silver spot???". DUH DUH DUH DUH.

oly