NEWS: PCGS To Encapsulate All Collectible Merchandise

Old April 1st 16, 09:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default NEWS: PCGS To Encapsulate All Collectible Merchandise

Hmmmmm, I just found the following article posted in the
news.announce.biznessstuff.whatever newsgroup ... I wonder what effect
this will have on the collectibles market?!?

PCGS To Encapsulate All Collectible Merchandise
(April 1, 2016) (API Newswire) (Newport Beach, California)

The Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS), a division of Collectors
Universe (NASDAQ: CLCT) has announced their intention to expand their
product offerings across the entire spectrum of collectibles.

PCGS President Donn Williss , in a press conference held at the annual
Collectibles and Other Stuff Trade Show and Tax-Deductible Vacation
event taking place in Honolulu, Hawaii displayed samples and discussed
PCGS's expansion plans. "We intend to provide authentication, grading
and encapsulation for virtually ALL collectible items, adding to our
current portfolio of coins, stamps, sportscards and comic books."

For example, he continued, "We've already contracted with the Van Gogh
Museum in Amsterdam to slab Vincent Van Gogh's painting titled
'Sunflowers'. They think the public will get a better appreciation of
the work if they can get closer to it, and actually place their hands on
the lucite encapsulation. We're working on the Louvre to get the Mona
Lisa slabbed, but they are not on board yet. Similarly, the National
Toy Museum in Texasapolis, Texas is having us slab their First Edition
Mint In Box G. I. Joe and Barbie dolls so that the young visitors to the
museum can actually play with the slabs without risking any damage to
the Mint Box. The National Gambling Museum in Las Vegas, Nevada is
having us slab a very rare ashtray from a special suite in the old Sands
Hotel, purportedly still containing ashes from one of Frank Sinatra's
cigarettes. It appears to be in Used 30 condition, and will have a
appropriate 'Rat Pack' label embedded in the lucite. We had a lot of
trouble preparing an appropriate slab for a very special collectible,
the first 'meadow muffin' produced by the great thoroughbred Secretariat
after winning the Triple Crown in 1973. We have a letter of
authentication signed by both the owner and the trainer identifying this
as the First Emission, and have designed a special label reflecting that
designation. The slab itself is also unique, with a small shaft leading
from the top of the slab to the embedded item, so that the full aromatic
experience can be appreciated if the airtight cover is removed. The
owner assures us that the cover will only be removed under very special
circumstances, such as wanting to impress a new girlfriend."

The new Vice President of Everything Else, Lucite DuPont, announced a
very special item which will be slabbed shortly. "The purchaser of the
very first Tesla Model 3 electric car, sold just yesterday, has
contracted to have it shipped directly from the assembly line to our
Large Collectible Slabbing Facility in an unnamed town in ... let's say
Nebraska. There, after careful inspection to assure that there was no
damage in shipment, we expect it to be slabbed as a BO-100, the highest
grade possible on the Barney-Oldfield automobile grading standard."
When asked how it was possible to slab something that big, DuPont stated
that "We've done several items of this size already, from a retired
drug-running submarine for El Chapo to a Hummer H-1 for Arnold
Schwartzenegger who said the backseat had a 'very special significance'.
In fact, the first large item we slabbed was my grandfather, Arnold
'Whatchutalkingbout' DuPont, who to this day looks exactly like the old
wrinkled man he was on the day he died."

Pricing on these Everything Else services will vary, depending on the
size of the item, the difficulty required in providing
authenticity/grading, shipping, and the color of ink to be used on the
label. "We'll try to be reasonable", DuPont stated, "but anyone wanting
this kind of custom product should expect to pay a professional price.
Plastic ain't cheap, ya know ...".

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old April 1st 16, 10:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
farmer dave

THANK YOU!!

[...]

---

Old April 1st 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Thankyou for that report Ken. You know their new large collectible enslabulation facility may be the speculation opportunity of a lifetime. It is of course just my opinion, but heck, "one word Ben:" Yap Stones.