An Excellent Evening

Old April 9th 11, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default An Excellent Evening

It was the end of the second day of the Farmington Public
Library sale in Connecticut, but still I came out with:

Anais Nin, The Hunger (limited 1st ed [1000 copies] 1945)
Thomas Hardy, The Well-Beloved (1st ed. Osgood McIlvaine 1897)
Colin Dexter, Death is now my Neighbor (1st American Ed.
Crown - signed)

These are not ex-library.

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen
Old April 9th 11, 06:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Apr 8, 8:59*pm, "Francis A. Miniter" wrote:
It was the end of the second day of the Farmington Public
Library sale in Connecticut, but still I came out with:

Colin Dexter, Death is now my Neighbor (1st American Ed.
Crown - signed)

These are not ex-library.

Signed, wow! I went to two bookfairs in the last ten days. I cam away
empty-handed on Friday, but last Saturday I got a very nice collection
of Al Hirschfeld's theatre drawings, and an omnibus volume of the two
"Common Reader" collections of Virginia Woolf. (This was the American
first, and had most of its dust jacket still.)
Old April 9th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson[_2_]

"J" wrote in message

Signed, wow! I went to two bookfairs in the last ten days. I cam away
empty-handed on Friday, but last Saturday I got a very nice collection
of Al Hirschfeld's theatre drawings, and an omnibus volume of the two
"Common Reader" collections of Virginia Woolf. (This was the American
first, and had most of its dust jacket still.)

In Ottawa, the annual Hawthorne United Church book sale
(which I drive past unconsidering about twice a week for 35
years) turned out to be hugely better than imagined. When my
wife left for a family visit I promised to reduce the load on
the floorboards and took two boxes to a charity shop this
week -- but spent at the Hawthorne UC $11 for 10 hardbacks
(about 4 first editions, from Solzenitsyn to a fishing picture
book) and 2 paperbacks (one a Peter Ackroyd I had never
heard of . . .)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old April 25th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
It was the end of the second day of the Farmington Public Library sale
in Connecticut, but still I came out with:

Anais Nin, The Hunger (limited 1st ed [1000 copies] 1945)
Thomas Hardy, The Well-Beloved (1st ed. Osgood McIlvaine 1897)
Colin Dexter, Death is now my Neighbor (1st American Ed. Crown - signed)

These are not ex-library.

Most excellent, indeed. I am in the throes of moving and have
missed some of my favorite venues. I'd better finish because an
upcoming paper show is my reward for doing so.

--
Jean B.

Sunday evening Tony Vella General Discussion 8 December 3rd 09 08:46 AM
FS: Evening Passage by Rockwell Attic Sale General 0 March 26th 08 01:02 PM
Live auction this evening Anita Coins 0 April 16th 05 02:40 AM
Auctions Ending this evening - LOOK Jake Jakob Football (US) 0 July 19th 03 10:12 PM