Acquittal, by Greame and Sarah Lorimer

Old January 2nd 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
David Downing[_2_]

Default Acquittal, by Greame and Sarah Lorimer

I have been asked to read and comment on the book Acquittal, by Greame
and Sarah Lorimer, and I'd like to find out something about it before
doing so. I found an entry an Amazon, but there was nothing in the way
of description. I tried Googling it, and didn't have much better luck.
Can anone tell me at least what genre itfalls into, so I know what to
expect. From the title, it sounds like some kind of murder mystery.
Thanks.
Old January 2nd 11, 08:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson[_2_]

"David Downing" wrote in message

I have been asked to read and comment on the book Acquittal, by Greame
and Sarah Lorimer, and I'd like to find out something about it before
doing so.
I found an entry an Amazon, but there was nothing in the way
of description. I tried Googling it, and didn't have much better luck.

Google finds he
1. "LORIMER, GRAEME LORIMER, SARAH - Acquittal
New York, Little, Brown And Company. 1938, First Edition. Hard Cover Cloth.
Good+ in Good+ dj. Fading/mottling to 50% of front and rear cloth covers.
Slight rippling to cloth on faded part of rear cover. Few chips and tears to
dj. Text is clean and tight. Dj price intact. Good +/Good +. USD 75.00
http://www.antiqbook.com/books/booki...42&Language=en

2.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...405B 828DF1D3
suggests this had something to do with a trial in 1912, discussed by
presidential candidates
Taft and T.Roosevelt.

3. More fully narrated at
http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/il...n-and-now.html
The event concerned Illinois state nomination for a US Senate seat of a
congressman
called Lorimer.
"Not only did Lorimer's allies bribe 108 state lawmakers about $800 each for
an approximate cost of $864,000 in 1909 dollars, there was an additional
expense to bribe the two juries that acquitted Browne. A special
investigating committee of the US Senate Committee on Privileges and
Elections that was named to look into the Lorimer affair concluded they
could not trust the outcome of court cases in Cook County and decided to
expel Lorimer from his seat in 1912 after they concluded that Lorimer had
also bribed all the members of both Cook County juries that had acquitted
Lorimer's ally State Rep. Browne in both of his trials. But the exact
amount of those bribes is not known with certainty."

There seems to be more.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

FS: Sarah's Attic Collectible Figurines Mark General 0 June 8th 09 03:07 PM
sarah palin!!!! am Paper Money 0 September 24th 08 08:46 AM
Sarah McLachlan autograph help Mike Pully Autographs 0 September 19th 04 07:47 AM
Sarah Lancaster Fan of Winona Ryder Autographs 0 November 9th 03 04:01 AM