susan b anthony

Old May 21st 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default susan b anthony

I have some 1979 SBA dollars. I'm not a coin collector, so can someone
tell me if they are worth more than $1? I also have some silver
dollars of the 1979's, Kennedy half dollars, and more recent
"gold-colored" dollar coins. Are any of these worth more than face
value? If so, how can I sell them?

Old May 21st 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

For the most part, SBA's would be worth face value. The exception is the
1979-P (Philadelphia mint) wide rim near date coin which sells at a good
premium. To see the difference, look at my website

http://coins.richlh.com/Coins/1979SB...Comparison.htm.

The U. S. didn't mint any silver dollars in 1979. If you're referring to
the Eisenhower dollars which were minted from 1971-1978, most would bring
face value or a small premium. The 1973 coins could command a premium and
there are several varieties which are rare and would command a nice premium.
These varieties are too numerous to list. There are also S-mint dollars
that were made with a 40% silver clad alloy. These would be worth a
premium.

Kennedy half dollars were made from a 40% silver clad alloy from 1965-1970
and were 90% silver in 1964. These would be worth a premium because of the
silver content.

The PCGS website http://www.pcgs.com/prices/ gives an idea of the retail
value of these coins. Dealers would pay less depending on the coin.

--
Richard
My coin Links:

ups.com...

Old May 22nd 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks. This is exactly the info I need. One site shows a premium for
SBA "BU". What does BU mean?

Old May 22nd 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks. This is exactly the info I need. One site shows a premium for
SBA "BU". What does BU mean?

Brilliant Uncirculated. Don't put too much importance on that designation.
It is more of a marketing term than anything useful.

Old May 22nd 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

tossed out the question:
...What does BU mean?

That stands for "Brilliant Uncirculated." Just think of a coin that rolled
out of the Mint on the day it was created and that's BU.

Amistad
'however, some coins might be "butt ugly"

Old May 22nd 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Amistad" wrote in message
tossed out the question:
...What does BU mean?

That stands for "Brilliant Uncirculated." Just think of a coin that
rolled out of the Mint on the day it was created and that's BU.

Amistad
'however, some coins might be "butt ugly"

I always thought it meant "bunged up."

Mr. Jaggers