Book recommendation please

Old February 5th 05, 01:36 AM
Jane

Default Book recommendation please

My father died and I have inherited a bunch of old coins and bills that
he collected. There are lots of silver coins, half dollars, dimes and
quarters mostly and a few silver dollars. There a some bills and a few
mint sets. It's not really a coin collection as much as a bunch of
coins and money that he thought might be valuable some day. He also
has ration stamps from the depression, silver colored pennies, buffalo
nickels, etc. The stuff is pretty interesting actually.

I was thinking of selling all the silver coins together but before I do
I want to be sure I don't have any single coins of particular value.

I was wondering if there was a book or web site where I could look up
the coins that I have.

Also, how should I go about getting an honest appraised value on what I
have? It's part of an estate and I need to sell it and split it with
my sister.

This is all new to me and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Old February 5th 05, 02:10 AM
Brian Oakley

Best thing to start with is what they call the "Red Book" Title is A Guide
Book of United States Coins. Get the newest one from your local bookstore or
coin shop. That will give you some idea of the approximate value of your
coins. It depends on a lot of factors, such as how worn the coin is, how
badly its scratched, or lack thereof, etc. Many factors involved. But you
can at least get some idea.
Next I would either locate a local coin club and ask the members who they
might recommend as far as a dealer that wont rip you off. There are some
good knowledgeable folks on here that might can tell you if you can tell
them what city your in, but you may wish to keep that private.
Anyway, that's a short answer.
Hope its some help.
Brian

ups.com...

Old February 5th 05, 02:12 AM
reality

Jane wrote:
[...]

The following book (called "The Red Book" by most coin collectors) is a
very good source of information for all regular U.S. coin issues. It
will give you an idea of the scarcity of individual coins and an
approximate retail value of the coins. Pay close attention to the
mintmark locations listed in the book, and identify whether or not your
coin has one. Many (but not all) times, the early mintmarked coins are
scarcer or somewhat more valuable than those without mintmarks, which
were made in Philadelphia. Also remember that the prices listed in the
book are a general guide to *retail* prices and that those prices are
not an indication of what coin dealers will likely pay you for the
coins. Common average circulated silver coins are typically bought by
dealers at slightly above the silver melt value (which is actually what
they are worth). Honest dealers will usually offer you somewhere
within a slightly plus or minus range of the coin's wholesale price for
more valuable coins, depending on the collector demand for the
particular coin. The most widely accepted wholesale prices for coins
are published in the "Coin Dealer Newsletter" (or "greysheet"). Good
luck.

Amazon listing:
Guide Book of United States Coins 2005: The Official Red Book (Guide
Book of United States Coins) -- by R. S. Yeoman, Kenneth Bressett;
Hardcover
Buy new: $10.85 -- Used & new from: $9.90

Old February 5th 05, 02:23 AM
reality

Jane wrote:
[...]

Oh, and one thing I forgot to tell you. DO NOT CLEAN THE COINS. It
will reduce their value by more than half.

Old February 5th 05, 03:14 AM
bri

"Jane" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

So sorry to hear about your loss.
http://www.coin-newbies.com/
http://www.coinfacts.com/
http://www.coingrading.com/intro1.html
http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/q/
http://www.pocketchangelottery.com/article99.htm
http://conecaonline.org/content/glossary.html
http://coins.listings.ebay.com/Coins... stingItemList
http://www.pcgs.com/prices/
http://www.worksandwords.com/moneym/index.htm

Old February 5th 05, 04:12 AM
Numismatist

[...]

For a book recommendation, you can't go wrong with the "Red Book" by Yeoman.
You can probably find a copy at your local library-just don't believe the
prices listed. It will give you an idea of what you actually have.

As for getting it appraised, that is a little more difficult, depending upon
the collection. You could bring it to a number of coin dealers for an offer and
go with the highest offer. You could have it auctioned off and although you may
get higher prices, you also have to pay the auctioneer. Best bet, take a look
on eBay and see what coins similar to yours are selling for.

Book recommendation: "Illegal Tender" by David Tripp TomDeLorey Coins 0 September 15th 04 01:17 AM
rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM