Commemerative coin question

Old February 4th 05, 05:25 PM
WinWinscenario

Mister Population 1 of 1.. I still think that's rather remarkable.. not that
you'd ever sell it.. but what do you suppose it's worth??..

How many other collectors are trying to complete the modern commem set in ANACS
MS-69? The value of a coin depends not just on scarcity, but also on how many
others are trying to get the same thing.

I, too, relish modern commems, but I'm willing to contaminate my collection
with those darn PCGS slabs.

Regards,
Tom
Old February 4th 05, 05:51 PM
Bruce Remick

"WinWinscenario" wrote in message
Mister Population 1 of 1.. I still think that's rather remarkable.. not

that
you'd ever sell it.. but what do you suppose it's worth??..

How many other collectors are trying to complete the modern commem set in

ANACS
MS-69? The value of a coin depends not just on scarcity, but also on how

many
others are trying to get the same thing.

I, too, relish modern commems, but I'm willing to contaminate my

collection
with those darn PCGS slabs.

Regards,
Tom

Any modern commem that arrives from the Mint in anything less than a MS68 or
PF68 grade should be returned for replacement or refund. Beyond that, how
many of us can appreciate any significant difference between a MS68 or MS70
enough to pay a hefty premium for it? Anything I have received from the
Mint has appeared MS70 to my eyes, and that's good enough to satisfy my
taste as a collector.

Bruce

Old February 4th 05, 07:31 PM
Bob Flaminio

WinWinscenario wrote:
Mister Population 1 of 1.. I still think that's rather remarkable..
not that you'd ever sell it.. but what do you suppose it's worth??..

How many other collectors are trying to complete the modern commem
set in ANACS MS-69? The value of a coin depends not just on
scarcity, but also on how many others are trying to get the same
thing.

None, as far as I know; which, as you say, severely limits the potential
value of the item. Of course, it's absolutely invaluable to me, so I
don't really care what the open market thinks of it.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that it probably would not get
as much as a PCGS MS69. The reg set nuts keep those guys' prices high.

--
Bob

Old February 4th 05, 07:38 PM
Bob Flaminio

A You wrote:
Well, with the L&C coins there were 400,000 to be available (after
special promotions) and I think divided between uncirculated and
proof just based on orders. And there was a $4 difference in price
between the uncirculated and the proof...

There may have been 400,000 *authorized*, but I doubt they will actually
sell that many. With most commems, the Proofs usually end up selling
twice as many as the Uncs. Sometimes the difference is dramatic --
compare the prices for the 1997 Jackie Robinson $5, for example. The
Proof is around $400 -- just a little over issue price -- while the Unc
sells for over $2000.

--
Bob

Old February 4th 05, 09:14 PM
A You

Well, with the L&C coins there were 400,000 to be available (after
special promotions) and I think divided between uncirculated and
proof just based on orders. And there was a $4 difference in price
between the uncirculated and the proof...

There may have been 400,000 *authorized*, but I doubt they will actually
sell that many. With most commems, the Proofs usually end up selling
twice as many as the Uncs. Sometimes the difference is dramatic --
compare the prices for the 1997 Jackie Robinson $5, for example. The
Proof is around $400 -- just a little over issue price -- while the Unc
sells for over $2000.

Well you should consider a combination of demand for the issue with the
mintage number...and not just the mintage number alone.